2024 Solar Eclipse

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The eclipse was one of the most phenomenal things I have ever experienced. I wasn’t all that enthused about it but after seeing the earth grow dark from normal daylight in a matter of seconds that is something I have never experienced. It was a real lesson on how dependent we are on the magnitude of the solar system we live in. When the darkness started I could actually feel the atmosphere grow colder in seconds. Then after a couple of minutes when the light came back the temperature rose again.
So…you got stoned watching it. Good for you, man, Good for you.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That conversation would be like this...

"Is Dirk Nowitzki in consideration as the GOAT of the NBA?"

"No."

"Ok, then. Next order of business."
Nowitzki is the only player ever to play for a single NBA franchise for 21 seasons. He is a 14-time All-Star,[13] a 12-time All-NBA Team member,[14] the first European player to start in an All-Star Game,[14] and the first European player to receive the NBA Most Valuable Player Award.[15] Nowitzki is the highest-scoring foreign-born player in NBA history.

___

He is in the conversation.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nowitzki is the only player ever to play for a single NBA franchise for 21 seasons. He is a 14-time All-Star,[13] a 12-time All-NBA Team member,[14] the first European player to start in an All-Star Game,[14] and the first European player to receive the NBA Most Valuable Player Award.[15] Nowitzki is the highest-scoring foreign-born player in NBA history.

___

He is in the conversation.

I think you are confusing all timer with GOAT.

Great player, Hall of famer, elite. All true.

He's not im the conversation for GOAT.

Cotton

Staff member
I think you are confusing all timer with GOAT.

Great player, Hall of famer, elite. All true.

He's not im the conversation for GOAT.
He is in the conversation. 22 years in the league. All time leader in scoring for the Mavs, I didn't say he was the GOAT, I just said he is in the conversation. And I will stand on this hill.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He is in the conversation. 22 years in the league. All time leader in scoring for the Mavs, I didn't say he was the GOAT, I just said he is in the conversation. And I will stand on this hill.

The GOAT conversation has about 4 or 5 players on it, if that. He's not one of them unless you want to expand the conversation to like 30-50 guys, which would be ridiculous.

Cotton

Staff member
The GOAT conversation has about 4 or 5 players on it, if that. He's not one of them unless you want to expand the conversation to like 30-50 guys, which would be ridiculous.
30-50? :lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
30-50 is not a slight. The guys in that ranking are legends. It might be a little off, but I don't think it's that far off.

I'd put Dirk somewhere in the class of Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Dominique Wilkins, etc... I certainly wouldn't put him up with guys like Jordan, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Dr. J, Bill Russell, etc... Hell, as big of a Dr. J fan as I am, maybe even he doesn't belong with these guys. I think he does because these guys changed the game. And he certainly did that.

Dirk is an all timer, sure. No doubt about it. But not in the GOAT conversation. That is a conversation that includes maybe 5-6 guys. Maybe less. And Dirk is not close to being top 5-6.

Cotton

Staff member
30-50 is not a slight. The guys in that ranking are legends. It might be a little off, but I don't think it's that far off.

I'd put Dirk somewhere in the class of Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Dominique Wilkins, etc... I certainly wouldn't put him up with guys like Jordan, Kobe, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Dr. J, Bill Russell, etc... Hell, as big of a Dr. J fan as I am, maybe even he doesn't belong with these guys. I think he does because these guys changed the game. And he certainly did that.

Dirk is an all timer, sure. No doubt about it. But not in the GOAT conversation. That is a conversation that includes maybe 5-6 guys. Maybe less. And Dirk is not close to being top 5-6.
I'd call him top 10-15 at the minimum.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
For the record, I named 8 guys up top for the GOAT discussion just off the top of my head. That didn't include guys like Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Lebron James, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal, Steph Curry. There's 15. I consider all of them above Dirk.

And back to the original point of the GOAT discussion... All these guys are not in the discussion for it. They are all timers. But not up for consideration of GOAT.

EDIT: I forgot Allen Iverson and Joel Embiid. But I might be a little biased there. :unsure

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
There is only 1 goat and there is no discussion.

Jordan is it. He changed the game for the better. LeBron changed it for the worst (super teams).

I say that being a diehard Bird and Hakeem fan. Any other discussion is salad dressing.

Top Bottom