2024 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there? There's no doubt they make much more by waiting.

Other than fear of injury, which is legitimate, I don't understand what incentive they have to sign early. Probably a guy like a Bland would have more, because he was a lower-round nobody making relative peanuts. A first rounder like Lamb can afford to wait for a much bigger deal.
Do you want 70 million dollars today or maybe more a year from now? Most people will take the life changing money now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Do you want 70 million dollars today or maybe more a year from now? Most people will take the life changing money now.
I hear you, but it seems like lately it's more like 70 million today or 110 two years from now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Other than fear of injury, which is legitimate, I don't understand what incentive they have to sign early. Probably a guy like a Bland would have more, because he was a lower-round nobody making relative peanuts. A first rounder like Lamb can afford to wait for a much bigger deal.
The Eagles do it all the time.

That dispels the myth that there's no incentive for players to do it. What, are they hypnotizing them?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That family is literally telling the fans that not only are you stupid enough to believe our horseshit, we don’t care what you think about how this shit looks either.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

That family is literally telling the fans that not only are you stupid enough to believe our horseshit, we don’t care what you think about how this shit looks either.
So he does know how to put a team together.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think some guys will sign early and it just depends from person to person. The risk of injury is for example a pretty strong motivation. I do think some guys won't and there isn't much you can do.

But I think the actual problem is that the Joneses won't sign a guy early unless he's giving them a pretty big discount and almost no player will do that unless he's probably not that good (like Jaylon Smith or Terrence Steele). Which means our early signings have a pretty big chance of blowing up in our face.

What these idiots don't realize is that signing a guy early at market value is actually a discount.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I think the actual problem is that the Joneses won't sign a guy early unless he's giving them a pretty big discount and almost no player will do that unless he's probably not that good (like Jaylon Smith or Terrence Steele). Which means our early signings have a pretty big chance of blowing up in our face.
This is the real problem. You can't try to sign a guy early and lowball him. If I remember Dak's initial offer the first time around was like 25 mil a season. You do that and you're just motivating a player to bet on themselves and nail you for as much as possible. You have to offer them market value when you try to sign them early. Knowing that market value will only go up.

Top Bottom