2023 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And from what else I have read, taken out of context.
Sounded to me like he was just trying to motivate the kid. Maybe someone named "Dov" doesn't understand the way guys talk to each other.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Archer says we had LaPorta as our top ranked TE, followed by Kincaid and Mayer.

Says we almost took Aidan O'Connell in the 4th instead of Fehoko, and speculates that the plan is to play Tyler at LG.

Speculated that Jerry is just being nice in terms of Elliott and there aren't any plans to bring him back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Archer says we had LaPorta as our top ranked TE, followed by Kincaid and Mayer.

Says we almost took Aidan O'Connell in the 4th instead of Fehoko, and speculates that the plan is to play Tyler at LG.

Speculated that Jerry is just being nice in terms of Elliott and there aren't any plans to bring him back.
I am glad we dodged the O’Connell bullet. That one was a concern.

Until Elliott signs elsewhere or Jerry Jones comes out and says so, I think that is still in play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
speculates that the plan is to play Tyler at LG.
So I don't know that it's the plan. Now maybe it becomes the plan. I just know that we wanted a starting LG in this draft. And the last month or so they have been pretty adamant that Tyler is playing LT. Now maybe after this draft the plan will shift but I really don't think that was the plan. Which makes you wonder what is Tyron Smith's role? Maybe Tyron is ok playing some RT until Steele is back and then just being a swing tackle? I'm honestly not sure. I'd be curious to know what their discussion with Tyron has been. My assumption was that based on his contract he was a starter and the contract was to protect for injury. But maybe the contract is just a way to reward him if we need him?

Also are any of these guys Ronald Leary quality? Honestly, the guy was UDFA who started as a rookie at LG. Now we all know he was more like a 4th round talent who went undrafted because of an injury. But can Richards be that type of guy? Can Bass be that type of guy? I really loved Leary here, I thought he was perfect for that LG role. I'm hopeful that maybe one of these young guys can step up in that role. I don't love Farniok or Edoga. I just don't think either of those two is really a power player.

Last edited:

shoop

Semi-contributing member
So I don't know that it's the plan. Now maybe it becomes the plan. I just know that we wanted a starting LG in this draft. And the last month or so they have been pretty adamant that Tyler is playing LT. Now maybe after this draft the plan will shift but I really don't think that was the plan. Which makes you wonder what is Tyron Smith's role? Maybe Tyron is ok playing some RT until Steele is back and then just being a swing tackle? I'm honestly not sure. I'd be curious to know what their discussion with Tyron has been. My assumption was that based on his contract he was a starter and the contract was to protect for injury. But maybe the contract is just a way to reward him if we need him?

Also are any of these guys Ronald Leary quality? Honestly, the guy was UDFA who started as a rookie at LG. Now we all know he was more like a 4th round talent who went undrafted because of an injury. But can Richards be that type of guy? Can Bass be that type of guy? I really loved Leary here, I thought he was perfect for that LG role. I'm hopeful that maybe one of these young guys can step up in that role. I don't love Farniok or Edoga. I just don't think either of those two is really a power player.
That would be nice. There for a couple of years it seemed Leary was popular to hate on but performed solid enough.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I think it's the plan now that the draft went the way it did, they were probably open to any number of possibilities based on how the draft went, including what I'd imagine would've been an open competition at LT, LG and RT if we had drafted Bergeron.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Holy shit, we almost took Rod Farva in the 4th? Guy can't throw downfield to save his fucking life.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Didn't know if this was posted? There's some decent stuff in there.

And Broaddus is still a tool. Trying to talk to McClay like he's his peer.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Good, fair article.

But I've always wondered this:

So after like 10 months of prep for the draft, the Cowboys were still debating between two players extremely likely to be available to them at pick 26 with under two minutes left on the clock? Uh, alright.
I get that you might discuss a big faller who you didn't expect to be there, and you have to consider trades, but why isn't all this already decided? And it predates social media so I don't think that's it.

My impression is Jerry just loves the thrill of it, the adrenaline of deciding in that last minute or two. Or do other teams actually do it the same way.

Top Bottom