2022 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know it's a pipe dream but can anyone give me a reason why Vic Fangio wouldn't be the best option for this defense? Schematically I think he would work great with the pieces we have. I was always impressed by those Bears defenses and now he has done the same with the Broncos. A Broncos defense that I think has less talent than ours.
Fangio would be my top choice but Zimmer would be fine.

People are saying they don't want to go back to something we've moved on from but that was damn near 20 years ago, which is like 2-3 lifetimes in the NFL. There's so much space between when he was here and now that I don't think it's even a consideration.

I do worry about his CB obsession though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot see him using Parsons to his fullest. Anthony Barr has been good but not impactful. Plus he is CB crazy.
Yeah I think his defense is too rigid schematically to really get the most out of a guy like Parsons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

People are saying they don't want to go back to something we've moved on from but that was damn near 20 years ago, which is like 2-3 lifetimes in the NFL. There's so much space between when he was here and now that I don't think it's even a consideration.

Yeah I like Zimmer as a coach. I think he is a very good defensive coordinator. I just think what he does is so far from what we did this season that I'm not really comfortable with it. I want a defensive coordinator that is used to running and using pieces similar to what we have. That way maybe we can actually build on the success of the defense. I think the potential is there to take this unit to an elite level and I don't want to sort of start over again. Ideally Quinn would say fuck it and just stay but both you and I agree he is likely bolting. Possibly even for that Broncos job.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Totally agree. Zimmer is a heck of a coach. The Zimmer people hated was the Campo disciple, and that was a lifetime ago.

That said, I think he's too much of a 43 guy for Mike, who seems to really want the 34.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally agree. Zimmer is a heck of a coach. The Zimmer people hated was the Campo disciple, and that was a lifetime ago.

That said, I think he's too much of a 43 guy for Mike, who seems to really want the 34.
I wouldn't even say 3-4. It's more of a multiple front scheme. I loved it frankly.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wouldn't even say 3-4. It's more of a multiple front scheme. I loved it frankly.
Right, mostly a 34 base although base doesn't mean as much anymore with all the nickel and matchup stuff.

I still say what they did on defense this year was a near miracle. I still don't think the talent was as good as they ranked, which is the sign of great coaching.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He left in 2006 so actually more like 15 years ago.

I did say I think he's a good coordinator. I think we can do better though.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
One thing about Zimmer, could the young players (especially) handle him? Quinn seemed so relatable and likable to the young guys. Zimmer is an old-school hardass. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it would be a big change from Quinn.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
big fish in a little pond
I guess so. Do you all still post over there? I haven’t been there in a few years. I doubt I would even know any of the 3 posters there anymore.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I guess so. Do you all still post over there? I haven’t been there in a few years. I doubt I would even know any of the 3 posters there anymore.
there's been an uptick in activity since the season ended. yimyammer, icup and dodger12 are still there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
there's been an uptick in activity since the season ended. yimyammer, icup and dodger12 are still there.
I guess yimyammer decided he doesn’t love us anymore.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I like Zimmer as a coach. I think he is a very good defensive coordinator. I just think what he does is so far from what we did this season that I'm not really comfortable with it. I want a defensive coordinator that is used to running and using pieces similar to what we have. That way maybe we can actually build on the success of the defense. I think the potential is there to take this unit to an elite level and I don't want to sort of start over again. Ideally Quinn would say fuck it and just stay but both you and I agree he is likely bolting. Possibly even for that Broncos job.
Quinn's scheme was viewed as a rigid 4-3/Cover-3 up until this season also, I'd be willing to gamble on Zimmer as one of the better defensive minds in the league figuring it out.

But I'd prefer Fangio.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quinn's scheme was viewed as a rigid 4-3/Cover-3 up until this season also, I'd be willing to gamble on Zimmer as one of the better defensive minds in the league figuring it out.

But I'd prefer Fangio.
Maybe but I don't know if I have that faith. I thought Quinn showed more versatility than that with the Falcons. It's why Vic Beasley had like 15 sacks one season for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom