2022 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NFL mock draft 2022: Mel Kiper's predictions for all 32 first-round picks, teams for Aidan Hutchinson, Malik Willis, Nakobe Dean
play
Check out some highlights from the top five players in Mel Kiper Jr.'s first edition of his 2022 NFL mock draft. (1:14)
Jan 19, 2022

• Mel Kiper Jr.Football analyst
You know the routine by now: 1-32 early projections for the first round of the 2022 NFL draft, starting with the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 1 -- again. I didn't project any trades in this Round 1 mock; let's wait until we get closer to free agency to determine what teams really need. This is just an exercise to show everyone what I'm thinking right now, based on my prospect rankings and what I'm hearing from execs, scouts and coaches in the league, who are doing a lot of prep to get ready for the NFL combine in March.
The good thing about the 2022 cycle is that there will be a combine this year. That was a crucial part of the pre-draft process that was lost to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021. And as for the Senior Bowl, which begins practices on Feb. 1, it should be a doozy. Six of the top seven quarterbacks in the class are expected to compete -- Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Carson Strong and Bailey Zappe -- along with several other potential top-50 picks.
OK, let's start with the Jags at No. 1. The draft order for picks 1-24 is set, and we're using ESPN's Football Power Index to project picks 25-32, so don't yell at me if you don't like which team is at No. 32. Check out the one-hour SportsCenter Special on ESPN+ to see Todd McShay and me talk through every pick.
1. Jacksonville Jaguars
Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan
At this time last year, the Jags were starting a rebuild under a new coach and ... they're back at the same spot. Urban Meyer didn't even last a full season. I wrote last January that this wasn't going to be a quick fix, and they're not much closer to contending, hence back-to-back No. 1 picks. I do think they have their quarterback, even though Trevor Lawrence had a mostly abysmal rookie season.
So if the Jaguars get first dibs on any prospect in this draft, I'd go with Hutchinson; I have him ranked slightly ahead of Oregon edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux. Hutchinson, who finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting, is a dominant and consistent pass-rusher who can put up double-digit sacks as a rookie. He's a safe No. 1 pick. They can play him on the other side of Josh Allen, who is a really nice player. Now, there could be some talk about the Jags taking a left tackle here, but I'm not buying that over the value of having a truly great edge rusher. Yes, left tackle might be more of a "need," but they should take the best prospect, not fill the biggest need.
2. Detroit Lions

Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon
The Lions finished with the same number of wins (three) as the Jaguars, but doesn't it feel as if they're in a much better position? Well, maybe not so fast. The defense allowed the second-most points in the league (27.5 per game), and the offense had major consistency issues, which led to coordinator Anthony Lynn's firing. This is a roster that could use talent upgrades at several positions.
That's why it's a no-brainer to take Thibodeaux or Hutchinson here, whoever is still on the board. Thibodeaux, who was a No. 1 overall high school recruit, has elite upside. His get-off at the snap is lightning-quick, and though he's still developing secondary pass-rush moves, he doesn't need them when he can blow by offensive tackles before they're out of their stance. Thibodeaux had half as many sacks (seven) as Hutchinson this season, but he had the second-best pressure rate in the country (17.8%). Charles Harris, who led Detroit with 7.5 sacks this season, is a free agent, which makes this even more of a problem position.
3. Houston Texans
Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
Houston just fired coach David Culley after one season, and studying the roster he had and the numbers they put up on both sides of the ball, it's a wonder this team won four games. Here are five stats that caught my eye:
  • 27th in total sacks (32)
  • 30th in offensive points per game (15.5)
  • 31st in yards per play allowed (5.9)
  • 32nd in first downs per game (15.6)
  • 32nd in rushing yards per game (83.9)
The bright spot, of course, was the improvement of rookie third-round pick Davis Mills, who played his way into potentially being the opening-day starting quarterback in 2022, but the Texans have holes all over their roster. I think they'd take Aidan Hutchinson or Kayvon Thibodeaux here if either fell out of the top two, but Neal could be a 15-year starter at tackle or guard; he played both at Alabama before settling in at left tackle. Houston has Laremy Tunsil at that spot, but a thumb injury forced him out of 12 games this season. General manager Nick Caserio & Co. could take Neal and figure out his best position later, not unlike what the Lions did with Penei Sewell in the 2021 draft.
ESPN Illustration
4. New York Jets
Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
The Jets had big defensive issues in Robert Saleh's first season as coach, from the front seven to the secondary. They didn't get after quarterbacks, and they couldn't cover pass-catchers, which is a recipe for another top-five draft pick. Hamilton would fill a void at safety, especially if Marcus Maye leaves in free agency. Six-foot-4, 220-pound Hamilton has rare traits for his size, and he can play in the box or as a center fielder (he had eight career interceptions for the Fighting Irish). He was one of the most versatile defenders in college football for the past three seasons. Hamilton played in only seven games in 2021 because of a knee injury, but I'm told he'll be ready to work out at the NFL combine in March. The Jets also pick at No. 10, and they could get help on offense there.
5. New York Giants
Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
There has been a lot of recent buzz around Ekwonu, whose stock is rising. He dominated at left tackle for the Wolfpack this season after playing some guard earlier in his career. Based on the 2021 tape, there's not much separating Ekwonu from Evan Neal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ekwonu was the top tackle off the board in April. He has All-Pro potential as a run-blocker and as a pass-blocker.
For the Giants -- who haven't yet replaced coach Joe Judge or general manager Dave Gettleman -- this would be top-five tackles in two of the past three drafts, but even though Andrew Thomas played better this season, the right tackle spot is far from settled. They just have to get better up front, and taking Ekwonu is a step toward that. Like the Jets, they have two top-10 picks, and they could go offense with the No. 7 selection.
6. Carolina Panthers
Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State
This is an easy call based on Carolina's biggest weakness: It has to get a better left tackle. The Panthers ranked last in the league in yards per play (4.6) and 28th in sacks allowed (52). They went into the season with journeyman Cameron Erving manning the spot and finished with rookie third-rounder Brady Christensen filling in. Taylor Moton is a really solid right tackle, but they can upgrade the left side with this pick.
Cross took a big leap in 2021, allowing just a single sack while playing in a pass-happy Mike Leach offense. He can be a big-time NFL left tackle. This isn't a reach pick. The Panthers need to hit here because they don't have second- or third-round picks due to trades for quarterback Sam Darnold and cornerback CJ Henderson. This is a massive draft for coach Matt Rhule, who fired his offensive coordinator and might have to make the playoffs in 2022 to keep his job.
7. New York Giants (via CHI)
David Ojabo, OLB, Michigan
It's always tough to project for teams that haven't hired new general managers, so here's my thinking for this pick, which comes from the Bears in the Justin Fields trade up last year: The Giants have some solid options on defense, but it's fair to say they underperformed as a unit in 2021. The best way to get better as a whole? Pressure the quarterback, which helps every level of the defense. Rookie second-round pick Azeez Ojulari had a nice season, leading the team with eight sacks, but they don't have another top-tier edge rusher on the other side.
Ojabo can help the pass rush immediately. He had an incredibly impressive season, racking up 11 sacks and five forced fumbles while playing opposite my projected No. 1 pick, Aidan Hutchinson. He doesn't have Hutchinson's all-around game -- he has to get better against the run -- but as a pure pass-rusher, he has a very high ceiling. With these two top-seven selections, New York can get high-end starters on both sides of the ball.
play
1:09

8. Atlanta Falcons
Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
This was one of the toughest calls of the entire mock. I thought hard about a quarterback. My buddy Chris Mortensen, though, says the Falcons are committed to Matt Ryan for 2022, which means this might be too high to take a QB who's not going to play right away. This is not a class full of surefire starting QBs. If David Ojabo was still on the board, I probably would have gone with him because the Falcons finished last in the league in sacks (18) this season. But there's a little bit of a drop-off in the edge-rush tiers, and my next guy doesn't have a top-10 grade.
So how about a cornerback to play on the other side of rising star A.J. Terrell? Stingley looked like a potential No. 1 pick when he was dominating as a true freshman on LSU's national title team in 2019, but he was inconsistent in 2020 and then played just three games this season because of a foot injury. A team is going to have to take a little bit of a leap of faith with Stingley because he hasn't played great for two seasons. The draft is all about upside, though, and he has the potential to be a superstar. I'm hoping he can work out at the combine to ease some concerns.
9. Denver Broncos
Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia
The Broncos need a quarterback, of course, but the feeling I get is that they're more likely to try to add a veteran in either the trade or free-agent market. They have a solid roster, and a veteran could help them win right away. This could change as we get closer to the draft -- and they hire a coach -- but I'm going to stay away from quarterback here for now.
Denver could be a great spot for the draft's best off-ball linebacker, Dean, who was the leader of the spectacular Georgia defense. He makes tackle after tackle and can run sideline to sideline to make plays, and he has three-down potential because of his ability to cover tight ends and running backs. He'll also help as a blitzer -- he had six sacks in 2021. The Broncos have the Rams' second- and third-round picks from the Von Miller trade, so general manager George Paton has a real chance to get this team back to the playoffs if he can nail a few early selections, as he did with Pat Surtain II and Javonte Williams last year.
10. New York Jets (via SEA)
Drake London, WR, USC
Quarterback Zach Wilson had a rough rookie season, as the Jets finished near the bottom in most offensive statistics. So if I'm giving them defensive help with the No. 4 pick, let's give Wilson a target here, because his best pass-catchers in 2021 are all better out of the slot. Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios are good players, but they're never going to be down-the-field aerial threats.
London -- who is 6-foot-5 and also played on the USC basketball team -- has a chance to be a special outside receiver. He caught 88 passes for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns in eight games this season. His record-breaking year ended in late October because of a fractured right ankle, but he is expected to be ready for the 2022 season. He can be Wilson's top target, giving the Jets a huge red zone threat. The Jets, by the way, also have an extra second-round pick from the Sam Darnold trade, and they could address the offensive line on Day 2 of the draft.
11. Washington Football Team
Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
Time for the first quarterback off the board. You might be surprised that it's Willis, but you really shouldn't be. He was in the QB1 mix all fall before he faded a little bit in the last stretch of the regular season. The more tape I watch of his past two seasons and the more I talk to evaluators in the league, the more I like him. Put simply, Willis is the most talented quarterback in this class. He didn't always get to show that at Liberty, which didn't have much NFL talent around him. (He was sacked an astounding 51 times in 2021.) This is a dual-threat signal-caller -- he rushed for 1,822 yards and 27 touchdowns over the past two seasons -- with a powerful arm. I'm really excited to see him compete against the other top QBs in the Senior Bowl in a couple weeks.
Like Denver, Washington could be in the veteran QB market, but I like the fit with Willis. Washington can't go into the season with Taylor Heinicke as the starter.
12. Minnesota Vikings
Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
Since 2013, the Vikings have drafted four cornerbacks in Round 1 ... and not a single one of them is still on the roster. Coach Mike Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman are out, and the new regime will inherit a good, not great, roster with a couple of significant voids, particularly at corner. Veteran Patrick Peterson was signed to a one-year deal last offseason, so he's a free agent, and I'm not sold that Cameron Dantzler is a quality starter.
They should jump at the chance to take Gardner, a lockdown corner who presented problems for opposing offensive coordinators in 2021. He was targeted just 31 times as the nearest defender in coverage, and he allowed only eight catches for 60 yards. With Kirk Cousins not locked in long term, I thought about a quarterback here, but Gardner is too good to pass up for a team in glaring need.
13. Cleveland Browns
Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
This was a pretty easy pick for me, because the Browns should take the best receiver left on the board. If they really are committed to Baker Mayfield for 2022 (and beyond), they should get their quarterback some help, because this is now two straight seasons in which they've trotted out a subpar receiving corps for the second half of the season.
Wilson, who caught 70 passes for 1,058 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2021, can play outside or in the slot. He's a great route runner who can also run away from defensive backs after the catch. And the Buckeyes star doesn't have to go too far if Cleveland takes him.
14. Baltimore Ravens
Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
Injuries decimated the Baltimore roster in 2021, but center Bradley Bozeman had a solid season. The problem? He's now a free agent and could get more money on the open market. The Ravens could turn to the draft for his replacement, and if Linderbaum is on the board at No. 14, they would upgrade. Linderbaum is pro-ready right now -- he already has great technique and is already a great run and pass-blocker. This one makes a ton of sense.
Barring significant injuries again, Baltimore is well-positioned for another playoff run in 2022. It needs to keep Lamar Jackson clean in the pocket, and Linderbaum will certainly help there.
15. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIA)
Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah
This is the first of three Eagles picks in the next five, this one coming from the Dolphins in last March's order-busting trade. And I know that some folks are going to connect Philly with a quarterback, but I'm not buying that; Jalen Hurts earned the 2022 job by his play down the stretch, even if he didn't have a great playoff game. This team needs more talent on defense, so that's where I'm going with the first two of these picks.
I had to dive deep back into my research to find the last time the Eagles took a linebacker in Round 1, going all the way back to Jerry Robinson in 1979. I was 18 years old at the time of that draft. This is both a need and value pick, as Lloyd is coming off a tremendous season. I've compared him to Tampa Bay's Devin White -- he's an off-ball linebacker with speed, versatility, range and run-and-hit ability. He had eight sacks and four picks last season. This would be a major boost to the Philly D.
16. Philadelphia Eagles (via IND)
Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State
The Eagles finished the regular season with wins in six of their final eight games powered by their running game, but again, this defense showed several holes. One of those was the pass rush -- they finished 31st in the league in sacks with just 29, 11 of those coming from the tackle duo of Javon Hargrave and Fletcher Cox. I see edge rusher as a priority, even if 2017 first-rounder Derek Barnett, a free agent this offseason, returns to the team. He has never quite put together a consistent season, and he had just two sacks in 2021. So let's use the pick from the Carson Wentz trade on a rising pass-rusher.
Ebiketie, a transfer from Temple, is coming off a stellar season for the Nittany Lions. He had 9.5 sacks, 19 total tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. He has long arms and is explosive at the snap, and he's strong enough to set the edge in the run game. I'm a big fan.
17. Los Angeles Chargers
Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
The Chargers again struggled against the run in 2021, an issue that has plagued them for years. Just go back to their 2018 divisional-round playoff game against the Patriots, when they were dominated up front. They allowed 4.8 yards per carry this season, which ranked 28th in the NFL. With Linval Joseph hitting free agency, there is a massive hole in the middle of their defensive line.
Who better to fill that than the 6-foot-6, 340-pound Davis? He'd make the entire defense better because he eats up blocks and allows linebackers to roam free. He also can play on three downs; he's not just a plugger. He showed on his sack in the national title game that he has some pass-rush ability, which is scary for a man of his size. Davis won't be a fit for every team, but the teams that run a 3-4 defense will eye him in this range.
18. New Orleans Saints
Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt
The Saints won four of five games to end the season and almost snuck into the playoffs, but their offense was subpar after Jameis Winston tore his ACL in late October. If Winston goes elsewhere in free agency, Sean Payton is going to want a new quarterback to coach up. Taysom Hill, who turns 32 before the start of the 2022 season, hasn't shown enough to be considered their QB of the present nor future.
That's why I see Pickett, who's coming off an efficient 42-touchdown, seven-interception season, as the perfect fit for New Orleans. He took a huge leap in 2021, showing off pinpoint accuracy to every area of the field. He started 49 games in college, so he can play right away for a team that wants to compete for the playoffs. The biggest question I've heard from people in the NFL is one that you might laugh at: hand size. Pickett has small hands -- we'll find out their exact size at the Senior Bowl soon -- and that matters to the teams doing the drafting. If he can play his home games in a dome in New Orleans, that's a plus.
19. Philadelphia Eagles
Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
Let's finish out the Eagles' picks with another wide receiver, which would make back-to-back-to-back drafts that Philly went wideout in Round 1. This is still an issue, though. DeVonta Smith had a good rookie season and looks to be the clear No. 1, but 2020 first-rounder Jalen Reagor underwhelmed and might never be more than a decent third option. Going back to the 2019 draft, the Eagles took J.J. Arcega-Whiteside in Round 2, but he has just 16 catches over three seasons. Jalen Hurts has to get some more help.
Olave was a touchdown machine at Ohio State -- he had 35 in four seasons -- and he's one of the best deep threats in this class. At 6-foot-1, he can play inside or outside. He's a player who looks better and better when you watch all of his snaps in a game, because even if he didn't catch 10 passes, he was always open.
20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Like the Saints, the Steelers could immediately contend if they can figure out their quarterback position this offseason. Ben Roethlisberger appears likely to retire. I don't see backups Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins as NFL starters. They do have a strong core on both sides of the ball, though. If they acquire a veteran signal-caller via free agency or in a trade, this could be a spot to target a linemen to help a below-average O-line, but let's assume for now that they go into the draft without adding one.
play
1:45
Will Matt Corral be a top 20 draft pick?
Field Yates and Mel Kiper Jr. discuss Ole Miss' Matt Corral and his potential of being a quarterback in the NFL.
Corral fits the mentality of what Mike Tomlin wants from his team. He's tough. He took a beating in multiple games in 2021, even running 30 times for 195 yards in a win over Tennessee. Oh, and he's a stellar passer, too, with touch, accuracy and arm strength. At 6-foot, he's not the biggest quarterback, but he threw 20 touchdown passes and just five picks this season. Corral sprained his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but should be fine to work out at the combine. Because he hasn't yet graduated from school, he's the only one of the top QBs who won't be at the Senior Bowl, but he'll get his chance to show his skill set in front of scouts later.
21. New England Patriots
Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
The Patriots had a solid 2021 draft, with quarterback Mac Jones and defensive tackle Christian Barmore turning into early starters and Day 3 pick Rhamondre Stevenson showing value in a running back rotation. What stuck out to me as I watched the Patriots, though, was their lack of playmakers in the passing game. Their top two receivers were former undrafted free agents (Jacobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne), and their tight ends didn't beat defenders after the catch (when they got open). N'Keal Henry hasn't developed like they had hoped. If they can get a deep threat for Jones here, they should be thrilled.
Williams, an Ohio State transfer with blazing speed, had a fantastic season for the Crimson Tide, catching 79 passes for 1,572 yards and 15 touchdowns. He would likely be in the top-10 range if he didn't tear his ACL in the national title game, which means he might not be ready for training camp. Still, I don't think he's going to fall too far, because he's a true No. 1 wideout when he's healthy. This is good value for New England.
22. Las Vegas Raiders
Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
This is another tough pick to figure out, with general manager Mike Mayock out and the Raiders now searching for someone to run their football operations. The Las Vegas roster has some issues, particularly along the right side of its offensive line and in the secondary, so I went with the top cornerback left on my board. Fifth-round pick Nate Hobbs was a nice find in last year's draft, but this defense could use Booth, a 6-foot press-coverage corner who allowed only one completion of more than 20 yards in 2021. He was extremely consistent over the past two seasons, locking down receivers. The Raiders ranked 27th in QBR allowed (51.4) this season; taking Booth would address a weakness.
23. Arizona Cardinals
George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue
After a 10-2 start, the Cardinals lost five of their final six games and crashed out in the playoffs, a disappointing finish for a team that once looked like a Super Bowl contender. And I think you can point to J.J. Watt's shoulder injury in late October as a big reason the defense took a step back down the stretch. Watt is still signed for another season, but his injury history means that Arizona needs to think about a replacement. That's Karlaftis, a powerful 275-pound end who might be better in a 3-4 defense. He had only 4.5 sacks in 2021, but his pressure numbers were elite, even if he didn't always get home to the quarterback. He's really good against the run, too.
24 Dallas Cowboys
Travon Walker, DE, Georgia
Dallas had a disappointing playoff exit, but it still has a lot of young talent, led by do-it-all rookie linebacker Micah Parsons. The organization, however, has looming decisions on several free agents, including Randy Gregory, Dalton Schultz, Michael Gallup, Connor Williams, Leighton Vander Esch and Jayron Kearse. That means we're going to know in March who the Cowboys have prioritized as guys to bring back and which positions will actually be needs by the time the draft rolls around in late April. Every team covets edge rushers, though.
Walker, whom McShay recently called "one of the most underrated prospects in the class," stands out every time I watch the loaded Georgia defense. He can blow up tackles at the point of attack, and he has the physical traits to chase down ball carriers in the run game. At 6-foot-5 and 275 pounds, he has some scheme versatility at the next level.
Picks 25-32 will be set after each round of the playoffs. The order of these picks is now based on projections from ESPN's Football Power Index.
25. Cincinnati Bengals
Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
There's no way the Bengals would take back their choice of wideout Ja'Marr Chase over offensive tackle Penei Sewell in last year's draft, but you saw this season why so many of us thought they would take Sewell. Joe Burrow was sacked 55 times -- third most in the league -- and the offense averaged 4.0 yards per rush, which ranked 26th. It ranked 30th in ESPN's pass block win rate metric. This is a below-average offensive line. Luckily for the Bengals, this is a deep tackle class at the top.

The 6-foot-7 Penning towered over defenders at the FCS level, and he was rarely challenged. He makes things look easy. Yes, it's a big leap to the NFL, but I think he has the traits to be an early starter. If Cincinnati wants to keep 2019 first-rounder Jonah Williams on the left side, Penning could easily slot in at right tackle, where free-agent-to-be Riley Reiff played for most of 2021.
26. Miami Dolphins (via SF)
Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State
Miami has used significant assets to build its offense around quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, but not every move has worked out, particularly along the offensive line. They've used three top-50 picks on the O-line in the past two drafts, and none of the three -- Austin Jackson, Liam Eichenberg and Robert Hunt -- is a surefire above-average starter. With Trevor Penning off the board in the previous pick, though, I don't have another lineman with a Round 1 grade. So let's address another spot to help Tagovailoa with this pick, which comes from the 49ers' trade up in last year's draft.
Dotson is a speedster who had 91 catches for 1,182 yards and 12 scores in 2021. Jaylen Waddle caught 104 passes as a rookie, but the best way to help Tagovailoa is to get him another pass-catcher who can make plays after the catch. Dotson is explosive with the ball in his hands and has the versatility to line up all over the field.
27. Buffalo Bills
Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
Buffalo doesn't have many holes on its roster, but Tre'Davious White's season-ending knee injury in November put the focus on its cornerback depth. This late in the first round, teams are hoping for rookie starters, but they'll also take high-upside prospects who could grow into starters in time. McDuffie can cover wideouts outside or from in the slot, so the versatility is a plus. He was very good in man coverage for the Huskies. I also thought about a guard here, and the Bills' running backs were disappointing again in 2021, even though Devin Singletary had a couple of good games to end the season. This is a little too high for a back on my board, but we could see risers after the combine, so keep an eye out.
28. Detroit Lions (via LAR)
Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
I'm not sold on Jared Goff being Detroit's guy past 2022, so why not take a quarterback flier here with the pick it got from the trade with the Rams? By taking Howell in Round 1, the Lions would get his fifth-year option, which means they could hand over the reins in 2023. Yes, they have a lot of needs, but if they think they can get their future starting signal-caller, they should pounce,

Sam Howell fools South Carolina and passes 37 yards to Garrett Walston for a TD, the 2-point conversion attempt succeeds.
Howell is a tricky evaluation, and he could definitely drop to Round 2. He looked like a potential top-10 pick after his sophomore season in 2020. At the beginning of the 2021 season, though, he really struggled, and he put a lot of bad tape out there while throwing to a completely new set of pass-catchers. He settled back in and improved down the stretch, finishing with 24 touchdown passes and nine picks, plus 11 rushing scores. He throws a beautiful deep ball and has tremendous touch on passes.
29. Kansas City Chiefs
Cameron Thomas, DE, San Diego State
The Chiefs fixed their offensive line last offseason, but they still have issues on the other side of the ball. They ranked 30th in the NFL in yards per play allowed (5.9) and 31st in rushing yards allowed per carry (4.8) this season. They also had just 31 sacks, which ranked 29th. This is a defensive line that could use an infusion of young talent.
I like Thomas a lot because of his versatility -- he lined up at both tackle and end for the Aztecs and created havoc at both spots. He had 11.5 sacks and a whopping 27 total tackles for loss in 2021. He's powerful in the run game and has some bend as a pass-rusher. He'd be a menace for offensive tackles if he lined up next to Chris Jones.
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M
Like the Cowboys, the Bucs have several free agents hitting the open market this offseason, including center Ryan Jensen, wide receiver Chris Godwin, cornerback Carlton Davis and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. So while time will tell which players they bring back, this pick is about a like-for-like replacement for Ndamukong Suh, who turned 35 earlier this month and has been playing on one-year contracts.
The 290-pound Leal could play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme or 3-technique tackle in a 4-3. He has a powerful lower half and strong hands. He had 8.5 sacks for the Aggies in 2021, showing improvement on his ability to take down quarterbacks.
31. Tennessee Titans
Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

I really liked Caleb Farley in the 2021 class, but a torn ACL ended his season after just two games, and that was after a back injury dropped him to the Titans in Round 1. That injury history is a little scary, which is why the Titans could go with back-to-back first-round corners.
Like his college teammate Trent McDuffie, Gordon has some scheme versatility and the ability to play in the slot as well as outside. He improved a lot in 2021, picking off two passes and breaking up seven throws. He can also tackle, and I think he'll test well at the combine.
32. Green Bay Packers
Trey McBride, TE, Colorado State
Is Aaron Rodgers staying in Green Bay or not? That's the ominous cloud that will hang over the team's offseason. Either way, I don't see it letting superstar wideout Davante Adams leave in free agency, so let's move to the other top need on offense. Robert Tonyan snagged 11 touchdowns in 2020, but he tore his ACL in October and is a free agent in the offseason. The Packers could bring him back on a short-term deal, or they could find a long-term solution with McBride, the draft's best tight end. He caught 90 passes for 1,121 yards in 2021, and he's also a good blocker.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Again, would rather have Leal and probably even Cameron Thomas, but I'm fine with Walker too.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Not a RB in the bunch. Might be years before one is drafted in the top 5 like Zeke or Barkley. If at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a RB in the bunch. Might be years before one is drafted in the top 5 like Zeke or Barkley. If at all.
Those two aren't exactly great endorsements to do it. And perfect examples of why not to do it. Both elite talents and it showed right away in their careers. And both burned up quickly and look like a waste now.

The good news is there is plenty of RB talent available for the rounds after the first.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Two-round 2022 NFL Mock Draft: Dane Brugler’s mock 2.0 has a new No. 1 pick and more surprises
Dane Brugler Jan 19, 2022

In most NFL Drafts, there are five to seven top-tier prospects who make up the “upper class” and will be the first players drafted. That is followed by 12-15 “middle class” players who might not be elite but received first-round grades from teams and project as solid NFL starters.

The bad news is the 2022 NFL Draft is missing those “upper class” prospects — there is no Joe Burrow or Myles Garrett or Ja’Marr Chase this year.

The good news is this year’s draft is well-stocked with “middle class” first-rounders — players with NFL starting traits who will make impacts as rookies.

Not having those top-tier players in this class will make the first-round, especially the top 10, even more unpredictable than usual. There are surprises every year, but we should expect them early in the 2022 NFL Draft as draft boards from team to team might look wildly different.

Editor’s note: The order of picks 1-24 and 33-56 are official. The order for picks 25-32 and 57-64 is based on playoff seeding and will depend on the outcome of the NFL playoffs. On Thursday Dane Brugler will post answers to reader questions about this mock and the 2022 draft talent pool.

FIRST ROUND

1. Jacksonville Jaguars — Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
After numerous conversations with NFL scouts and league execs in preparation for this mock, there were two key takeaways that led me to Ekwonu here. First, there are several evaluators around the league who have Ekwonu ranked higher than Alabama’s Evan Neal and Mississippi State’s Charles Cross. Second, several evaluators agreed that in a draft class missing a no-brainer top prospect, they prefer the tackles over the pass rushers. I have no clue how the Jaguars feel, but Ekwonu at least belongs in this conversation.

A three-year starter at NC State, Ekwonu has impressive movements for his size and generates extraordinary explosion at contact. He lacks refinement and is guilty of over-setting, but he is nimble, powerful and should get better and better as his technique and awareness mature. Ekwonu’s tape shows a tackle who can also play guard, not the other way around. For more on Ekwonu, this deep dive from Bruce Feldman is a great read.

2. Detroit Lions — Aidan Hutchinson, edge, Michigan
A Week 18 victory against the Packers meant the Lions lost the No. 1 overall pick, but there is a decent chance that the top-ranked player on Detroit’s draft board will still be available at No. 2.

Hutchinson isn’t on the same level as the Bosa brothers — he doesn’t have the same bend or arc skills. However, there are similarities when you talk about their quickness, power and skilled hand play to defeat blockers and disrupt the pocket. Hutchinson can win in multiple ways and is wired in a way that will appeal to head coach Dan Campbell.

3. Houston Texans — Kayvon Thibodeaux, edge, Oregon
Is there a quarterback in this draft class who is a clear upgrade over Davis Mills? I don’t think so, and I doubt the Texans will either. Thibodeaux isn’t universally loved around the league, but he is one of the more talented players in this draft. He knows how to create leverage as a pass rusher due to his length and athleticism and is highly physical vs. the run.

Fans expecting Myles Garrett or Chase Young will be disappointed, but that doesn’t mean Thibodeaux can’t make an immediate impact of his own.

4. New York Jets — Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
The Jets could go in a number of different directions here. Alabama’s Evan Neal could start at right guard as a rookie and be the long-term answer at right tackle (and provide Mekhi Becton insurance at left tackle). But Stingley would give the Jets a cover man with the talent to be a legitimate No. 1 cornerback, something the franchise has missed since Darrelle Revis.

Stingley set the bar high after his All-American freshman season as part of LSU’s national championship team. And although the last two seasons haven’t gone according to plan, the talent is still there. Stingley’s draft stock is extremely volatile right now, and his interviews and medicals will ultimately determine whether he is drafted this high or falls out of the top 10.

5. New York Giants — Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
Slowly but surely, Andrew Thomas is progressing at left tackle, but the right tackle spot was a glaring weak spot for the Giants this past season. Nate Solder has likely played his last snap with the franchise, and Matt Peart hasn’t done enough to keep the Giants from finding an upgrade this offseason.

Neal has functional experience at guard and both tackle spots and would be an immediate improvement on the Giants’ offensive line depth chart. His balance will fade as the play progresses, but he has a rare mix of size, athleticism and flexibility to make plays in pass protection and the run game.

6. Carolina Panthers — Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State
If the Panthers strike out on their quarterback options in free agency and on the trade market, this could be the spot where we see the first quarterback drafted. This is Carolina’s only draft pick in the top 100, putting even more pressure on Matt Rhule and the organization to get this selection right.

Cross is talented enough to be OT1 on some team’s draft boards. He has the athleticism and movement patterns to be comfortable pass-blocking on an island, and his hands are well-timed and precise. Cross should be able to start from day one as a rookie.

7. New York Giants (from Chicago) — Kyle Hamilton, DS, Notre Dame
Safety isn’t the most glaring need on the Giants’ depth chart, but with a new general manager and head coach, they will be looking to draft impact players, above everything else, in the top 10. And Hamilton might be the most talented player in the draft, regardless of position.

At 6-3 and 218 pounds, Hamilton is a super-sized safety with the range and length to be a matchup weapon in the NFL. Though his physical traits stand out, it is his football IQ that is most impressive, sensing what is about to happen and being disruptive.

8. Atlanta Falcons — David Ojabo, edge, Michigan
Predictably, the Falcons finished dead-last in the NFL in sacks this season as they sorely lack the edge rush talent to keep offenses off-balance. Still young in football years, Ojabo is still a work in progress, but he has the talent level right now to stress blockers.

Polling several NFL personnel people for this mock, the feedback on Ojabo was he won’t be a top-10 pick because of his struggles vs. the run and his relative inexperience. But I’m betting on his ceiling at a premium position to bump him up in this draft class.

9. Denver Broncos — Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
The Broncos said “no thanks” to Justin Fields and Mac Jones at No. 9 overall last year. Will they pass on the quarterback position again a year later? We’ll see if Denver is able to find an upgrade at the position prior to the draft or if it buys into one of the quarterbacks in this draft class.

Denver landed an impact defender with the ninth pick last year, and it could do that again with Lloyd. A former safety, he has outstanding eyes and explosion to drive downhill (22.0 tackles for loss in 2021) and the athleticism to make plays in coverage (four interceptions, two pick-sixes in 2021).

10. New York Jets (from Seattle) — Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
With all due respect to Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios, when they are your most productive pass-catchers, you officially have a wide receiver problem. Quarterback Zach Wilson must show improvements in year two, but he also needs the front office to find him more help.

I have six wide receivers ranked as top-25 prospects in this class, with Wilson as the clear No. 1 guy. He has only average size (6-0, 186), but he is a three-level threat due to his athleticism and ball skills. What separates him the most is his ability to create space before and after the catch.

11. Washington Football Team — Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh
Washington has a poor track record of drafting quarterbacks in the early rounds. Since the merger in 1970, the franchise has drafted eight quarterbacks in the top 100 picks, and only one (Jay Schroeder) of the eight had a winning record with the organization. That means Washington is due, right? Pickett doesn’t have an explosive arm, but he is accurate from various platforms and his football IQ makes him NFL ready.

12. Minnesota Vikings — Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
Opinions are split around the league if Gardner belongs in the top-15 or if he should come off the board in the back-half of round one. The Cincinnati corner was a three-year starter and didn’t give up a touchdown in over 1,100 coverage snaps in college. Gardner gets a little handsy, but he has the long-striding speed and hip-flip to stay on top of routes.

13. Cleveland Browns — Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
The Browns passing offense desperately needs another playmaker and Burks has the ability to create big plays. He has an outstanding blend of size (6-3, 228) and speed (4.45) with the tracking skills and catch radius to be a quarterback’s best friend. Burks, who led the SEC with 22 plays of 20-plus yards in 2021, reminds me of a linebacker-sized Deebo Samuel.

14. Baltimore Ravens — Travon Walker, DL, Georgia
Good players just seem to fall to the Ravens in the draft, right? That is the case here because it wouldn’t surprise me if Walker ends up being one of the best defensive players from this draft class. With players like Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams set to hit free agency, the Ravens’ defensive line could look very different in 2022.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami) — Tyler Linderbaum, OC, Iowa
Obviously, this selection is based on the future of Jason Kelce, who just earned his fourth All-Pro nod. Even if he returns for his age 35 season in 2022, Kelce would be the ideal mentor for Linderbaum, who has exceptional quickness and a nasty streak to dominate defenders.

16. Philadelphia Eagles (from Indianapolis) — Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
With Steven Nelson headed for free agency, cornerback could be a need for the Eagles this offseason. Booth is a terrific athlete and can make plays on the ball — the two most important traits when scouting the position. Booth also has above-average downhill skills to drive and blow up plays near the line of scrimmage.

17. Los Angeles Chargers — Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
Do the Chargers make the playoffs if they receive better play at right tackle over the final month of the season? Penning has a massive frame (6-7, 329, 35-inch arms) with the athletic footwork and competitive chops to develop into a Pro Bowl-level player.

18. New Orleans Saints — Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
The Saints are in limbo with their quarterback situation, but Corral could be the answer that Sean Payton has been looking for. The Ole Miss quarterback has the athleticism of Taysom Hill coupled with an explosive arm and passing instincts to create big plays through the air.

19. Philadelphia Eagles — George Karlaftis, edge, Purdue
The Eagles’ defensive end depth chart will likely look wildly different next season, and Karlaftis would be a welcomed addition. The Purdue pass rusher doesn’t have elite length or twitch, but he is relentless and strong with hand work that is not only violent but also well-timed and strategic to defeat blockers.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers — Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina
With Ben Roethlisberger likely having played his final game in a Steelers’ uniform, there is a “Quarterback Wanted” sign hanging on the front of Heinz Field. Although Howell’s junior season didn’t go exactly according to plan, he has NFL-level arm talent and mobility and is ready to step in as the Steelers’ starter from day one.

21. New England Patriots — Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
Generally, Bill Belichick prefers bigger-bodied linebackers, but what Dean lacks in size he more than makes up for with play speed and football smarts. And anyone who watched the Patriots’ playoff loss to the Bills knows they need more of both at linebacker.

22. Las Vegas Raiders — Drake London, WR, USC
Derek Carr was playing well enough for the Raiders to make a postseason run, but he needed another playmaker in the playoff loss to the Bengals. London, who was averaging 11 catches and 135.5 yards per game before his injury, has the basketball athleticism to play above the rim and be a chain-mover.

23. Arizona Cardinals — Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
At 6-6 and 360 pounds, Davis is a hard-to-move space-eater with the power to reestablish the line of scrimmage. He might be drafted higher if a team believes he can sustain his high level of play with an increased snap count (he averaged only 25.2 snaps per game in 2021), but Davis is a dominant run defender when on the field.

24. Dallas Cowboys — Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
Left guard Connor Williams, who probably played his final game in Dallas on Saturday, was a liability for most of the Cowboys’ wild-card game, and the 49ers took advantage. Although Green played predominantly at left guard for the Aggies, he also logged starts at left tackle, right tackle and right guard in 2021 and would give Dallas a versatile blocker who can fill in at several positions if needed.

25. Cincinnati Bengals — Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
Maybe this is an overreaction to watching Vernon Hargreaves trying to cover the Raiders, but with Eli Apple a pending free agent, cornerback could be in the mix here. McDuffie doesn’t have great ball production, but there weren’t many opportunities because he prevents throws by blanketing his side of the field.

26. Miami Dolphins (from San Francisco) — Jermaine Johnson, edge, Florida State
The Dolphins drafted an edge rusher in the first round last year but could do it again if they lose Emmanuel Ogbah to free agency. Johnson has the length, agility and violent hands to be disruptive as both a pass rusher and run defender.

27. Buffalo Bills — Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
Giving a weapon like Williams to Josh Allen and the Bills’ offense hardly seems fair. Wide receiver isn’t at the top of the Bills’ needs, but it would be tough to pass on Williams’ talent if he were to fall this far due to his recent torn ACL. Teams will have more information about his knee and surgery at the scouting combine.

28. Detroit Lions (from Los Angeles) — Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
I don’t think the Lions will feel pressured to take a wide receiver here, especially with the emergence of Amon-Ra St. Brown over the final month of the season. But Olave and his polished play style would give Detroit an immediate playmaker for an offense in need of them.

29. Kansas City Chiefs — Daxton Hill, CB/FS, Michigan
With Tyrann Mathieu, Charvarius Ward and Mike Hughes about to hit free agency, the Chiefs’ secondary might look a little different next season. Hill is not only an option at safety, but he played a slot cornerback role for the Wolverines and can do the same in Kansas City, which would allow L’Jarius Sneed to play outside full-time.

30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Logan Hall, DL, Houston
Hall is one of the more underrated prospects in this draft class, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is long gone by this pick. Personally, I like him best as an edge rusher where he has a little bit of a runway and can unlock his quickness and length. But Hall would give Tampa flexibility on the defensive line as Houston head coach Dana Holgorsen has called him “one of the best” defensive tackles he has ever coached.

31. Tennessee Titans — Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State
With his twitchy athleticism and route-running skills, Dotson consistently puts cornerbacks in conflict. Although he is undersized and won’t break many tackles, he has the dynamic speed and ball skills that will give the Titans another dimension on offense.

32. Green Bay Packers — DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M
The Packers love toolsy front-seven defenders, and Leal is exactly that. He isn’t yet the sum of his parts, which is why he could still be available at this point in the first round. But at 6-4 and 290 pounds, Leal can line up anywhere on the defensive line and has the traits to develop into a productive starter.

SECOND ROUND

33. Jacksonville Jaguars — Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida
34. Detroit Lions — Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn
35. New York Jets — Bernhard Raimann, OT/G, Central Michigan
36. New York Giants — Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati
37. Houston Texans — Kenneth Walker, RB, Michigan State
38. New York Jets (from Carolina) — Trey McBride, TE, Colorado State
39. Chicago Bears — George Pickens, WR, Georgia
40. Denver Broncos — Myjai Sanders, edge, Cincinnati
41. Seattle Seahawks — Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota
42. Washington Football Team — Darian Kinnard, OT/G, Kentucky
43. Atlanta Falcons — Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
44. Cleveland Browns — Drake Jackson, edge, USC
45. Baltimore Ravens — Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State
46. Minnesota Vikings — Kingsley Enagbare, edge, South Carolina
47. Indianapolis Colts — Carson Strong, QB, Nevada
48. Los Angeles Chargers — Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama
49. New Orleans Saints — Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
50. Miami Dolphins — Damone Clark, LB, LSU
51. Philadelphia Eagles — Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming
52. Pittsburgh Steelers — Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College
53. Las Vegas Raiders — Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
54. New England Patriots — John Metchie, WR, Alabama
55. Arizona Cardinals — Cameron Thomas, edge, San Diego State
56. Dallas Cowboys — Jaquan Brisker, DS, Penn State
57. San Francisco 49ers — Lewis Cine, DS, Georgia
58. Cincinnati Bengals — Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
59. Buffalo Bills — Sean Rhyan, OG, UCLA
60. Denver Broncos (from Los Angeles) — Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
61. Kansas City Chiefs — Arnold Ebiketie, edge, Penn State
62. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State
63. Atlanta Falcons (from Tennessee) — David Bell, WR, Purdue
64. Green Bay Packers — Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Davis going one spot ahead of us would certainly be our luck. :lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be just about as happy with Green in the 1st as Davis.

And I'd be ecstatic if we somehow ended up with Green and Brisker with our first 2 picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be just about as happy with Green in the 1st as Davis.

And I'd be ecstatic if we somehow ended up with Green and Brisker with our first 2 picks.
Yeah no complaints from me.

I like Davis for the exact comment against the 49ers when it was 4th and 1 and the announcers basically said, Dallas has no one physical enough up the middle to stop this. I'd like a bad ass guy in the middle who teams go, yep can't run in there.

But just like I'd like the bad ass guy in the middle to stop the run, I'd like an O-line where you know they are going to knock people backwards. So if you can give me a LG to solidify our run game and improve pass protection I'm 100% on board.

And Brisker is a beast.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah no complaints from me.

I like Davis for the exact comment against the 49ers when it was 4th and 1 and the announcers basically said, Dallas has no one physical enough up the middle to stop this. I'd like a bad ass guy in the middle who teams go, yep can't run in there.

But just like I'd like the bad ass guy in the middle to stop the run, I'd like an O-line where you know they are going to knock people backwards. So if you can give me a LG to solidify our run game and improve pass protection I'm 100% on board.

And Brisker is a beast.
Yea, I mean I'd slightly lean Davis if I had the choice but Green is more or less just as good of a prospect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd probably have taken Leal but Dean would be awesome.
I'd take Leal too. I've always wanted a guy who could be elite pressuring from the middle and I think he has some potential to do that.

And I think Dean would be great too. I've never been enamored with big LBers. I think the NFL game has gone away from those types. Plus it would free Parsons up to being more of a pass rusher and you could use Cox and Dean as the nickel LBers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t complain with Linderbaum, either.
Nor would I. I'd prefer left guard because I don't hate Biadasz, I think he would look a lot better with a good LG but hell you could get a LG later and have the interior of the Oline rebuilt for a long time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd take Leal too. I've always wanted a guy who could be elite pressuring from the middle and I think he has some potential to do that.

And I think Dean would be great too. I've never been enamored with big LBers. I think the NFL game has gone away from those types. Plus it would free Parsons up to being more of a pass rusher and you could use Cox and Dean as the nickel LBers.
As much as I'd love this, if our top DT is available I couldn't be mad if they pull that trigger.

But a Micah, Cox, Dean LB unit would be ridiculous.

I'm tired of getting pushed around up front though and wish they'd spend a chunk in FA on addressing that flaw.

We could use a good run on DL like we had on the offense for the last decade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I'd love this, if our top DT is available I couldn't be mad if they pull that trigger.

But a Micah, Cox, Dean LB unit would be ridiculous.

I'm tired of getting pushed around up front though and wish they'd spend a chunk in FA on addressing that flaw.

We could use a good run on DL like we had on the offense for the last decade.
In an ideal world you wouldn't have to use a first round pick to find a good LBer to pair with Parsons and Cox but I couldn't complain with Dean. I also like Lloyd more because I think he has more tools but I see no way he makes it to our pick.

Jordan Davis and Leal are the two DTs in this draft I'd consider in the first and they couldn't be more different. I'd not only consider but would jump at the opportunity to draft.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Nor would I. I'd prefer left guard because I don't hate Biadasz, I think he would look a lot better with a good LG but hell you could get a LG later and have the interior of the Oline rebuilt for a long time.
I agree, but a potential perennial All Pro at any position is always worth drafting, and Linderbaum looks every bit the part of that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, but a potential perennial All Pro at any position is always worth drafting, and Linderbaum looks every bit the part of that.
You don't have to tell an Iowa fan that Linderbaum would be really good for us. Not my top priority but if he is there at 24 would definitely be in the running for me. Although I may have Kenyon Green right there. Simp has started to get me on board with him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You don't have to tell an Iowa fan that Linderbaum would be really good for us. Not my top priority but if he is there at 24 would definitely be in the running for me. Although I may have Kenyon Green right there. Simp has started to get me on board with him.
I was speaking more in the abstract, because I know that you’re an Iowa fan.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm torn on Linderbaum vs. Green, I have to dig in on Linderbaum a bit more because while I think he's overrated (in terms of top 10 talk) he's definitely one of the best centers to come out in years.

And he's a perfect Zone-scheme fit, which is basically all our dumbass OC knows how to run seemingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom