2022 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Well if I'm dreaming and thats what we all do then give me the best one. Im not down on Schultz. He is what he is. He is going to get open, tackled where he catches it, and scare with you with near fumbles. I just hope it doesn't prevent us from allocating funds where needed because you know the cowboys sign there own.
Amen. I like Schultz a lot but I don't think he's special by any means and someone will probably overpay him. I suspect they let him go and develop someone from the mid rounds -- or maybe even McKeon -- and go with Jarwin. Honestly, McKeon showed as much in preseason as Schultz did his first couple of years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the big thing and what i worry about the most. I'm fine with moving on from Schultz in theory but the problem is that we have to replace him with a viable replacement. We can't just let him go and roll with Jarwin and McKeon.
Yeah I would like to at least take a flyer in free agency on someone like we did at safety last year. Even if it's an OJ Howard hoping we can tap into the potential that made him a first.

Problem is Jarwin is being paid like a starter and I'm a little afraid they will treat him that way and ignore TE. Jarwin is just a worse version of Schultz. Shitty blocker, not the fastest and not as good at running routes and getting open.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OJ Howard, Mo Alie-Cox or Tyler Conklin, along with like a 3rd or 4th rounder would be fine at TE.
Sort of my thoughts. OJ Howard can block, he can run and maybe we unlock some of that potential as a receiver. At worst he is a usable player who can be a top 2 TE on the roster with no problem.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Here's the thing at TE.

Jarwin has a cap hit of $6.25 million assuming he's on the roster.

Jarwin has a dead cap hit of $2 million if he's cut. So you save 4.25 million by cutting him.

If Jarwin is your starter at $6.25 million, cap wise you're doing better than if you dipped into the open market for a starter.

The issue is Jarwin has never been more than a 30 something catch guy. I just don't believe he's a starting quality player.

So if you cut Jarwin and save 4.25 million, does that make giving Schultz around 12 million more palatable? Especially since you can structure the contract so that Schultz's first year cap hit isn't much more than what you save by cutting Jarwin.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Here's the thing at TE.

Jarwin has a cap hit of $6.25 million assuming he's on the roster.

Jarwin has a dead cap hit of $2 million if he's cut. So you save 4.25 million by cutting him.

If Jarwin is your starter at $6.25 million, cap wise you're doing better than if you dipped into the open market for a starter.

The issue is Jarwin has never been more than a 30 something catch guy. I just don't believe he's a starting quality player.

So if you cut Jarwin and save 4.25 million, does that make giving Schultz around 12 million more palatable? Especially since you can structure the contract so that Schultz's first year cap hit isn't much more than what you save by cutting Jarwin.
Probably so, and especially since if we gave Schultz a 5/60 deal the first year cap hit would probably only be around 7, so barely a net difference when taking into account the Jarwin savings.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean maybe. I think it's a viable argument to be made. But does cutting Jarwin then also require you to sign a free agent TE anyway?

It's all hard to say without knowing exactly what Schultz wants. The guy is still very young so I see some upside with Schultz that he could develop as a blocker. I don't think he will ever magically be more athletic but I don't need him to.

But if the contract costs 8 mil the first year. You cut Jarwin to save more. So your net loss is only 4 mil cap space is it worth it? Well to me it depends on what that contract looks like in year 2 or 3. I don't want to be fucked on a Zeke deal where his numbers weren't bad but the totality of the contract has now basically screwed us into paying a shitty player elite money. You have to consider if Schultz is going to cost 14+ mil in the second year of the deal as well.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I mean maybe. I think it's a viable argument to be made. But does cutting Jarwin then also require you to sign a free agent TE anyway?

It's all hard to say without knowing exactly what Schultz wants. The guy is still very young so I see some upside with Schultz that he could develop as a blocker. I don't think he will ever magically be more athletic but I don't need him to.

But if the contract costs 8 mil the first year. You cut Jarwin to save more. So your net loss is only 4 mil cap space is it worth it? Well to me it depends on what that contract looks like in year 2 or 3. I don't want to be fucked on a Zeke deal where his numbers weren't bad but the totality of the contract has now basically screwed us into paying a shitty player elite money. You have to consider if Schultz is going to cost 14+ mil in the second year of the deal as well.

i agree with this, but i dont feel we are doing anything next year, so my choice is dont worry about TE for 1 or 2 years. Schultz can fill in until than

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
it's time to put $ into the lines.

A rookie contract TE will do.

Genghis Khan

Another position I wonder about is what are we going to do at LG.

I think it's pretty obvious Williams won't be back.

My guess is LG will be between McGovern and a top 100 or so draft pick.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

My guess is LG will be between McGovern and a top 100 or draft pick.
I'd be shocked if we didn't go OL in the first 3 rounds, either a LG who is a direct 1:1 replacement for Williams or an OT who could potentially move Collins in to LG.

I'd give it at least a 33% chance that we go OL in the first.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I'd be shocked if we didn't go OL in the first 3 rounds, either a LG who is a direct 1:1 replacement for Williams or an OT who could potentially move Collins in to LG.

id rather do that, because they will need time. i personally feel Dallas is doing nothing next year, so build up for year 3. Get the line going now and make your mistakes now

Genghis Khan

We almost have to. That and LB are probably our two biggest needs right now assuming Neal and LVE don't return. And obviously we aren't filling the OL in free agency.

The wild card is Ball but I'd assume they aren't dumb enough to count on a guy they literally haven't seen yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We almost have to. That and LB are probably our two biggest needs right now assuming Neal and LVE don't return. And obviously we aren't filling the OL in free agency.

The wild card is Ball but I'd assume they aren't dumb enough to count on a guy they literally haven't seen yet.
Yea, I mean the draft should basically be all OL/front 7 with maybe a safety, TE or RB mixed in if there is undeniable value there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

My guess is LG will be between McGovern and a top 100 or so draft pick.
McGovern is a nice safety net and then go and see if you can get better in the draft. That would be my guess. Might end up like corner last year. We will force a guy we think can start in the first few rounds would be my guess. And then maybe McGovern wins the job anyway. I doubt we address it in free agency unless their is some sort of a pet cat that falls through the cracks of other teams. Guards don't seem to command a ton of attention in free agency so their is a mild possibility but unlikely that we address it in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I mean I think Cox is a pretty liked guy in Dallas. I think the team still has high hopes for him so I'm not sure LBer is going to be viewed as a massive need. I think they look at Cox as a steal last year. They will still need contributors there but I'm not sure the team is going to view it as a big hole.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not sure Ball has the body type to play guard. I think he is strictly a LT/RT type.

Genghis Khan

I mean I think Cox is a pretty liked guy in Dallas. I think the team still has high hopes for him so I'm not sure LBer is going to be viewed as a massive need. I think they look at Cox as a steal last year. They will still need contributors there but I'm not sure the team is going to view it as a big hole.

Granted you only really start two nowadays but there are formations where you'd use a third and unless they love Gifford or Bernard we really only have two LBs. Depending on what happens with Neal, LVE and Kearse. And depending on who the coordinator is and what he wants to do. But between this 3 guys that's a whole lot of snaps out the door.

Top Bottom