2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In theory yes. But those teams aren't paying 40 million dollars for their QB.
Most teams are going to pay at least $30M for a quality QB. That is why maximizing that first contract is so important. We allowed ourselves to have to pay him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Vrabel and Tannehill are #1 seed and much of it achieved without Derrick Henry.

49ers went to Super Bowl with Garoppolo recently.

It can be done with Prescott.
I've inserted the original post I was responding to above for reference.

Most teams are going to pay at least $30M for a quality QB. That is why maximizing that first contract is so important. We allowed ourselves to have to pay him.

The issue is how much the QB needs around him to succeed.

If the idea is that the Titans and 49ers can succeed (relatively, considering neither QB has actually won a Superbowl) with less than elite QBs so that means Dak can do it too, I'd counter that with neither are making anywhere close to Dak's money. So those teams have more resources to build a top defense and offensive line that apparently our 40 million dollar QB desperately needs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So those teams have more resources to build a top defense and offensive line that apparently our 40 million dollar QB desperately needs.
Theoretically but the Chiefs just paid a lot to rebuild their entire O-line for presumably one of the best if not the best QBs in the NFL. The Bucs and Packers both have O-lines performing on a much higher level than ours. So clearly teams finds ways to do it. And frankly we don't spend in free agency regardless.

And Garappolo is a far inferior QB to Dak in my opinion. I don't think they will ultimately go anywhere with him this year anyway even though he has a really strong team and smart coaching staff making things easy on him. So the name of the game is to put that team together regardless and still have a great QB.

Or in the ideal world you get that stuff done in the first 5 years of a QB's contract before the thing balloons. Ironically in terms of cap Dak is only costing about 8 mil more than Jimmy G this year. That's good for what, one decent free agent?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

If the idea is that the Titans and 49ers can succeed (relatively, considering neither QB has actually won a Superbowl) with less than elite QBs so that means Dak can do it too, I'd counter that with neither are making anywhere close to Dak's money. So those teams have more resources to build a top defense and offensive line that apparently our 40 million dollar QB desperately needs.
This. Its always something he needs to succeed and will always need others. He doesn't raise others up. I think we can win a few playoff games here and there but I dont think we will ever sniff a super bowl.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Hate to state the obvious, but this was always the most likely outcome. Unless you have a top 4 or 5 or so QB, you have to build almost a perfect team around them to go deep in the playoffs. And the more the QB makes, the harder it is to put everything around them.

That's why I was so mad about those prime years (with the great OL also) wasted under Garrett. Now things are so much harder unless you knock the draft out of the park every year, and that's hard for anyone to do.

data

Forbes #1

In retrospect, what should we have done with Dak Prescott Jan/Feb 2020? Already exhausted the franchise tags.

a. Same. Sign contract for $40M and work for better success in 2022 and 2023 with a hopefully improving Dak.

b. Let Dak hit FA and draft Justin Fields or Mac Jones. No more Micah Parsons

c. Let Dak hit FA and resign andy Dalton or a FA (Fitzmagic)

d. Let Dak hit FA and roll with Cooper Rush and a second/third round QB rookie.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In retrospect, what should we have done with Dak Prescott Jan/Feb 2020? Already exhausted the franchise tags.

a. Same. Sign contract for $40M and work for better success in 2022 and 2023 with a hopefully improving Dak.

I’m still going with A.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hate to state the obvious, but this was always the most likely outcome. Unless you have a top 4 or 5 or so QB, you have to build almost a perfect team around them to go deep in the playoffs. And the more the QB makes, the harder it is to put everything around them.

That's why I was so mad about those prime years (with the great OL also) wasted under Garrett. Now things are so much harder unless you knock the draft out of the park every year, and that's hard for anyone to do.
Yep, they did jack and shit in FA during those years, which was a massive mistake that many of us identified at the time. Not to mention all his rookie contract years were wasted on Garrett as HC.

data

Forbes #1
Kelvin Joseph better pan out.

Couldve had Creed Humphrey, who would’ve gone a long way to repairing the void Frederick’s retirement created.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

At the time i thought we had no choice but choice A.

Choice C (definitely Dalton) looks pretty appealing right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But we wouldve had money at least 3 solid FA. Instead of Dak, maybe it looks like…

Joe Thuney, G
Justin Simmons, S
Dalvin Tomlinson, DT
I don't think Dalton plus those three take us any further, and if I had to guess we'd probably only win 9 or 10 games, plus Simmons was franchised.

And let's be real, there's no chance in hell our front office would go on a spending spree like that.

data

Forbes #1
I don't think Dalton plus those three take us any further, and if I had to guess we'd probably only win 9 or 10 games, plus Simmons was franchised.

And let's be real, there's no chance in hell our front office would go on a spending spree like that.
No shit. We would’ve wasted the Dak cap space on signing current players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom