2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If you're talking about 54 that should've been Williams, he never came off the combo block with Tyron on 93.

And Steele fucked up on 57 honestly, he should've been on a combo with Schultz on 56 before climbing to 57.

What this play confirms are two things I already knew, 1. The running game design is elementary at best and 2. The OL are sloppy in their technique and not honed in on the details.
I think its clear now that Moore has no true desire and goal to be a running offense. I think hes a lot like Garrett in that he would pass on each and every play if he had his 'druthers. And thus a simple, rudimentary and pedestrian approach to the nuances of a sophisticated running offense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The 49ers LBers crashed hard
They knew what was coming as soon as the ball was snapped and the OL started moving in the same direction in unison, at that point all they had to do was beat the OL to the spot. In some cases those OL didn't even bother trying to get to their spot (Williams, Steele, arguably Biadasz).

Given how hard the 49ers crashed down you can only imagine how much an imaginative play-caller could've taken advantage of that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think its clear now that Moore has no true desire and goal to be a running offense. I think hes a lot like Garrett in that he would pass on each and every play if he had his 'druthers. And thus a simple, rudimentary and pedestrian approach to the nuances of a sophisticated running offense.
Yea, the running game seems like an afterthought, they know they have to do it in terms of quantity, but there doesn't seem to be much attention/care paid to it or nuance designed around it. All you have to do is watch a team like the 49ers, Titans, etc. and you'll see much more variation in the running game.

It's probably the biggest reason I don't really give two left fucks whether we keep Moore or not.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I loved those pitch plays the Niners kept doing with Deebo where he'd counter back to the opposite of the flow. Looks to me like they saw our DEs were undisciplined and would crash down too hard, so they put something in to take advantage of it.

Seems like our most creative thing is putting two backup OL in the backfield, but we started that about 10 weeks ago so it didn't surprise anyone.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I loved those pitch plays the Niners kept doing with Deebo where he'd counter back to the opposite of the flow. Looks to me like they saw our DEs were undisciplined and would crash down too hard, so they put something in to take advantage of it.

Seems like our most creative thing is putting two backup OL in the backfield, but we started that about 10 weeks ago so it didn't surprise anyone.
Yea, I don't think Moore is very creative in terms of tweaking things on a week to week basis and building counters off counters off counters to things we've done in the past.

The creative stuff he comes up with is kind of static, he doesn't continue to iterate off of it really.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, I don't think Moore is very creative in terms of tweaking things on a week to week basis and building counters off counters off counters to things we've done in the past.

The creative stuff he comes up with is kind of static, he doesn't continue to iterate off of it really.
Yeah I think he sort of is a good copier but doesn't necessarily see the bigger plan designed by the coaches who actually created those plays. If that sort of makes sense.

But I also think Moore is a very inexperienced offensive coordinator who is still developing and finding himself. Yeah, not really what you want in your OC but maybe with some more seasoning he becomes that. I think what he does is ever growing and he just isn't there yet. I do like the hook and ladder that we added to the playbook though. I think it worked great on our final drive and would have been huge earlier in the game if Wilson didn't whiff on the throw. You sort of see glimpses of stuff like that where you go, this guy is really bright.

But then you see too much where his play calling just has no flow to it. It's like a car with a bad clutch just herky jerky and can't seem to get going without a big play. The penalties of course cause some of that too. It's hard to get in a flow when everytime you get a good play there is a flag to call it back.

data

Forbes #1
Random question...it's OT with plenty of time remaining and you just need a FG to win (ie other team ball first and punted).

Big play and you're now at opponents 2 yard line, 1st down.

You kick the FG or try to score the TD? What's the safest bet?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Random question...it's OT with plenty of time remaining and you just need a FG to win (ie other team ball first and punted).

Big play and you're now at opponents 2 yard line, 1st down.

You kick the FG or try to score the TD? What's the safest bet?
I'd take a couple of shots at punching it in with nice safe runs up the middle and then kick the FG if those two plays fail.

data

Forbes #1
When do you think the Cowboys panicked and offense started getting away from their gameplan?

We obviously kicked it into oh-shit mode once it was 23-7 late 3rd quarter, but do you think we actually got away from our gameplan as early as the 10-0 or 13-0 deficit?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea, the running game seems like an afterthought, they know they have to do it in terms of quantity, but there doesn't seem to be much attention/care paid to it or nuance designed around it. All you have to do is watch a team like the 49ers, Titans, etc. and you'll see much more variation in the running game.
I don't see a whole lot of exceptional things being done with the passing game design either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When do you think the Cowboys panicked and offense started getting away from their gameplan?

We obviously kicked it into oh-shit mode once it was 23-7 late 3rd quarter, but do you think we actually got away from our gameplan as early as the 10-0 or 13-0 deficit?
I honestly don't know. It just looks like we get stymied to begin with, freak out and then finally say fuck it and run no huddle.

data

Forbes #1
I'd take a couple of shots at punching it in with nice safe runs up the middle and then kick the FG if those two plays fail.
But 1st and goal from 9 yard line...kick the FG on 1st, right? (or second after taking a kneel to get the kicker's spot within the hashmarks)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But 1st and goal from 9 yard line...kick the FG on 1st, right? (or second after taking a kneel to get the kicker's spot within the hashmarks)
Probably depends on the confidence I have in the kicker.

p1_

DCC 4Life
All you have to do is watch a team like the 49ers, Titans, etc. and you'll see much more variation in the running game.
Its clear as day that Shanahan's/McVay's (Kevin O'Connell) system is far superior in approach and design.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean that's just play action, we do that stuff, but I think the run game itself needs more variation, mixing Zone and Gap concepts and such and attacking the edges more than we do.

Moore basically refused to run outside until he was questioned about it incessantly.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Its clear as day that Shanahan's/McVay's (Kevin O'Connell) system is far superior in approach and design.
Yep, if we fired McCarthy next year I'd be perfectly fine giving O'Connell a try, but Jerry will probably just rationalize that Moore is his version of O'Connell and promote him while we run inside zone 15 times a game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean that's just play action, we do that stuff, but I think the run game itself needs more variation, mixing Zone and Gap concepts and such and attacking the edges more than we do.

Moore basically refused to run outside until he was questioned about it incessantly.
Some of the problem too is that Zeke's cut back ability was all but gone by the end of the season. I know he had one good cut back against the 49ers but it was pretty wide open and a routine cut that any NFL RB should be able to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom