2021 Season | Wildcard Weekend | Gameday Chatter Thread | 49ers @ Cowboys | 1/16/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. Running the ball would help quite a bit, so that we wouldn't have to put the game in our 40 million dollar QB's hands. Then he could be like Garopolo and be along for the ride.
I mean almost every top offense and QB has a running game. We had one of the best offenses in the NFL and could barely run the ball for half the season.

At this point I don't care how much the QB makes. We need a run game, it's pretty simple.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Dak played for the 49ers today, they'd have finished with more than 23 points.
They played better as a team than we did, though Quinn stepped up and shut them down in the second half.

Until Dak’s really bad pick that is.

Frankly Dallas lacks toughness up front defensively. You could keep Neville Gallimore and the rooks and dump the rest of the DL. Gregory will cost too much for what he brings and is getting older too. Tank is way too pricey.

Toughness is an attitude and not just about talent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean almost every top offense and QB has a running game. We had one of the best offenses in the NFL and could barely run the ball for half the season.

At this point I don't care how much the QB makes. We need a run game, it's pretty simple.
A lot of teams are pretty mediocre running the ball. It's the way of the league nowadays.

I care how much the QB makes. It's a pretty big deal because when he makes that much, it's way harder to put a team around him. So he better be pretty great.

A lot of us said it when he pinched every fucking penny out of the team. He better deliver if he's going to do that. Well, he didn't. Thank God he forced us into a short contract. He may have screwed himself on that end.

Why did the running game turn to dogshit overnight? It was great the first couple months. That's the real question. I suspect it's the same reason the QB nosedived. Teams played us differently and we never adjusted.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A lot of teams are pretty mediocre running the ball. It's the way of the league nowadays.

I care how much the QB makes. It's a pretty big deal because when he makes that much, it's way harder to put a team around him. So he better be pretty great.

A lot of us said it when he pinched every fucking penny out of the team. He better deliver if he's going to do that. Well, he didn't. Thank God he forced us into a short contract. He may have screwed himself on that end.

Why did the running game turn to dogshit overnight? It was great the first couple months. That's the real question. I suspect it's the same reason the QB nosedived. Teams played us differently and we never adjusted.
Our run game wasn't just mediocre in the games we lost though, we'd average like 2-3 YPC in those games, which is something that shouldn't happen more than once or twice a year, not every other week for 2 months.

To your last point about teams playing us differently and not adjusting, yea, I think the design of the run game is the primary issue.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
His pass protection looked way worse because he's hesitant to make decisions in the pocket right now.

Several of those plays there were players literally wide open and he failed to either see them or pull the trigger and it's not because he didn't have time. We called it out in this thread several times during the game.

And it's been an issue over and over for the past two months.

So yeah, the answer is a resounding yes.

This. Goddamn, you can't just stand around in the pocket for 5 seconds waiting for guys to be wide open. This is the NFL, gotta get rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds and your windows are going to be small most of the time. Let your fucking receivers earn their fucking money,, they know what they're doing. Sometimes you're gonna throw guys open or put it in a spot where the defender has little chance of getting to it but what you don't do is stand around and take sacks and never throw the ball away.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would fire MM. You can’t lead the league in penalties. Dak has to have a good running game or he folds. I think keeping Mike is just extending the inevitable.
Unfortunately leading the league in penalties has nothing to do with MM.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He absolutely was. He was awful.
I don’t see how anyone is debating this. He was awful down the stretch and he was awful in this game.

Top QBs don’t shit the bed. They elevate their team to wins even when the team plays poorly.

This one got sucked down the drain. If everything was sent right around him he’s terrible. To borrow from those who said it about Garrett, what, does he need pro bowlers at every position around him to win?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yea it's hard to say but at some point the Jerry/culture/whatever stuff can't get the blame for everything. He's damn near 80 and looking worse/more feeble every year.

At the end of the day some of these stupid ass mistakes and the listlessness to start games have to fall on the coaches, especially when they continue throughout the entire game all the way down to literally the final play.
It’s been falling on the coaches for 30 years bro.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don’t see how anyone is debating this. He was awful down the stretch and he was awful in this game.

Top QBs don’t shit the bed. They elevate their team to wins even when the team plays poorly.

This one got sucked down the drain. If everything was sent right around him he’s terrible. To borrow from those who said it about Garrett, what, does he need pro bowlers at every position around him to win?
I think he'd do better with less talent at WR if they're more dependable/on the same page in terms of where they're going to be. There's a reason Wilson got more targets than Lamb today and I think alot of it has to do with a lack of chemistry between Dak and Lamb.

But he needs a top notch running game and OL, that's been the biggest thing holding the offense back in general, along with penalties.

He's basically a Roethlisberger.

data

Forbes #1
But he needs a top notch running game and OL, that's been the biggest thing holding the offense back in general, along with penalties.

He's basically a Roethlisberger.
That’s a laughable comp, but will chalk it up to post-elimination hyperbole. Dak isn’t anywhere near Roethlisberger

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Today was historically bad in terms of penalties, it's something we've rarely seen even with all the disappointments over the years.
It’s a new historical disappointment every year. Remember how everyone said under the Garrett admin that we keep finding new embarrassing ways to lose? Here’s another.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That’s a laughable comp, but will chalk it up to post-elimination hyperbole. Dak isn’t anywhere near Roethlisberger
Roethlisberger was a bus driver for most of his career and never carried a team on his back purely with his arm, but he made enough plays behind a strong defense/running game to win quite a lot.

That's basically what Dak is, if Dak had a number one defense and played for a strong organization.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life

Bro our qb can’t throw deep and he takes forever to get rid of the ball. You can’t suck as bad as he did today and then turn it over and hand the other team free points. You can’t win with him in todays NFL. You cant pay 40 mil to a qb that makes no one on offense better. He is not the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom