2021 Season, Week 4 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Panthers @ Cowboys | 10/3/21

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's why I feel like Kyler's ceiling is higher. He COULD be better than Wilson or even Mahomes. But it depends on his ability to stay healthy and continue to develop as a passer whereas we know what Prescott can bring to the table.
That's bad logic. I guess Lamar Jackson could be better than all of them since he is the best runner. It doesn't mean much without the pure passing ability to go with it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This was a very very interesting video.

Looks like something special is brewing.

Sorry, I am still in the stupid feeling like how you get when you nut.

My life is so sad that goddamn Jaylon Smith being cut made my day. And I am inspired by this.

shane

DCC 4Life
That's bad logic. I guess Lamar Jackson could be better than all of them since he is the best runner. It doesn't mean much without the pure passing ability to go with it.
I think Murray has much better aptitude than Jackson in terms of a passer, but we will see.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

My life is so sad that goddamn Jaylon Smith being cut made my day. And I am inspired by this.
Oh my fucking gawd! :towel:towel:towel

~pours koolaid~

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Murray has much better aptitude than Jackson in terms of a passer, but we will see.
Everything gets better when DeAndre Hopkins starts catching your passes, but Murray is definitely a better passer than Jackson is today.

Jackson really hasn’t had receiving targets until this year, and they are still a bunch of second tier guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything gets better when DeAndre Hopkins starts catching your passes, but Murray is definitely a better passer than Jackson is today.

Jackson really hasn’t had receiving targets until this year, and they are still a bunch of second tier guys.
No question about it, that's my point. Dak, Mahomes, and others are definitely better passers than Murray. Just like Murray is a better passer than Jackson. This thought that Murray has better upside than those others because of his running ability doesn't hold much water. He just doesn't have the raw passing skills or processing ability to ever be in their class as a passer.

But yes Murray is playing really good this year. Props to him. And he is doing it all while having the disadvantage of being really short. It's not easy being a 5'10" NFL QB.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Watched this last night and realized that Amari wasn't bullshitting when he mentioned that there's something special going on with this team.

Defense cheering on Offense, Offense hyping up the Defense...just seems like this team can create some chaos deep into the playoffs if they stay healthy. Hell, maybe even if they're not totally healthy.

The stability that the coordinators have right now is insane, and their units are feeding off of one another...just like a team is supposed to work.

And Dak has matured into a leader who isn't afraid to hold his teammates accountable.

Not really much to bitch about, to be honest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Why does Brad Sham say like every damn game "Walk the dog." What the hell does that even mean?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And he is doing it all while having the disadvantage of being really short. It's not easy being a 5'10" NFL QB.
That's because he is really mobile and he uses more of the field.

He is crushing it this year, already has 200 more passing yards than Dak (20% more) with ironically identical attempts/completions (102/134 vs 100/133). Murray's 9.5 YPA is insane.

In fact a bunch of QBs are over 9, which is bonkers telling me defenses are definitely behind right now. Dak, at a mere 8 (traditionally great) is in a 3-way tie for 12th place. Hell, Daniel Jones is at 8.2.

Bottom line, if your QB isn't killing it right now by prior years' standards, your team might not be able to compete in today's NFL.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It feels goooooooooood.
Even if we don’t go deep into the playoffs, as long as we are playing sound, non-retarded football I will be happy with this season overall.

For the first time in a long, long time we seem to be building towards something. Laying a solid foundation. There is still plenty to be done, for sure. But as a fan, there finally seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

That's how I felt when I saw Week 3's video.

Look, talk is cheap and we know that.

But there is something that feels different with this team, right? There's a genuineness to it that's been missing from practically every team around these parts for the last 15 years or so.

The last time I felt good about the overall team mindset and chemistry was 2014. And while I know that that season ended in the same round that all of our other post-Parcells playoff seasons ended, that year felt more successful.

That team found ways to do things that all of the teams before and after couldn't -- close out games, get turnovers, and make critical late game stops on defense.

Well, this team gives off that same vibe only to a greater degree. It's also more talented and better coached.

I love how this team genuinely roots for one another. You can see how happy they are to see the guy next to them succeed. There's nothing fake about it.

And when you couple that with each and every guy always saying the right thing, but more importantly, looking like they truly mean what they are saying, you can't help but be excited by the culture being built.

It feels, looks, and smells like a winner, so I damn sure hope it is a winner in the end.

Time will tell, but it's ok to be excited right now because it hasn't looked or felt this way in a long time.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's because he is really mobile and he uses more of the field.

He is crushing it this year, already has 200 more passing yards than Dak (20% more) with ironically identical attempts/completions (102/134 vs 100/133). Murray's 9.5 YPA is insane.

In fact a bunch of QBs are over 9, which is bonkers telling me defenses are definitely behind right now. Dak, at a mere 8 (traditionally great) is in a 3-way tie for 12th place. Hell, Daniel Jones is at 8.2.

Bottom line, if your QB isn't killing it right now by prior years' standards, your team might not be able to compete in today's NFL.
It's the NFL these days.

Passing, if you are at all competent, is basically unstoppable. QBs are all good enough that they don't make bad throws if not harassed by pressure, WRs don't drop balls, DBs aren't allowed to get close enough (jam or make contact) to disrupt. They have to give enough space to catch, then make the play, but since the WRs are allowed to run free they just run to where the first down is and the QB has enough accuracy to get it there.

It's why passing and scoring have skyrocketed making even the numbers of the 90s basically meaningless. Aikman had 13 TDs in one of his seasons, and that was very mediocre, but today it would be unheard of. Even the bad QBs throw 20-25 TDs.

The rules need to be adjusted back to where the defense has a chance.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
One of the most positive things about this team (besides all of the things that Ace listed) is how young this team is. It lends itself to NoDak's point about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We have a very bright future ahead of us with some young players to build off of on rookie contracts. I'm pretty much on the homer bandwagon, and I just can't fight it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's the NFL these days.

Passing, if you are at all competent, is basically unstoppable. QBs are all good enough that they don't make bad throws if not harassed by pressure, WRs don't drop balls, DBs aren't allowed to get close enough (jam or make contact) to disrupt. They have to give enough space to catch, then make the play, but since the WRs are allowed to run free they just run to where the first down is and the QB has enough accuracy to get it there.

It's why passing and scoring have skyrocketed making even the numbers of the 90s basically meaningless. Aikman had 13 TDs in one of his seasons, and that was very mediocre, but today it would be unheard of. Even the bad QBs throw 20-25 TDs.

The rules need to be adjusted back to where the defense has a chance.
That is all true but another thing is that schematically the passing game is light-years beyond where it was just 15-20 years ago with pick plays being a significant foundation of most of the top offenses (including ours).

And the proliferation of the passing game throughout high school and college has QB's and WR's coming into the league way more advanced technically than they used to be.

So yea, the idea of what makes a defense good or elite is definitely shifting in my opinion.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And the proliferation of the passing game throughout high school and college has QB's and WR's coming into the league way more advanced technically than they used to be.
This. I remember QB's from the 70's and 80's even 90's routinely missing wide open WRs deep. Most of the time when you'd see QB's rear back and heave, you'd expect an incompletion or interception folks would say was "like a punt".

A guy like John Elway who could connect on a large number of deep shots were cutting edge rare talents.

Those days are gone.

Every QB has superior physical skills today. QB's and WR's practice nonstop, they are true professionals. OCs constantly try to outdo each other. Completion percentages around 65 are considered average, whereas in bygone days that would have been heroic.

Deep passes that are attempted are now expected to be caught or contested, and the QBs who routinely miss those throws just aren't that good.

ZeroClub

UFA
This. I remember QB's from the 70's and 80's even 90's routinely missing wide open WRs deep. Most of the time when you'd see QB's rear back and heave, you'd expect an incompletion or interception folks would say was "like a punt".

A guy like John Elway who could connect on a large number of deep shots were cutting edge rare talents.

Those days are gone.

Every QB has superior physical skills today. QB's and WR's practice nonstop, they are true professionals. OCs constantly try to outdo each other. Completion percentages around 65 are considered average, whereas in bygone days that would have been heroic.

Deep passes that are attempted are now expected to be caught or contested, and the QBs who routinely miss those throws just aren't that good.
That's right.

And in the 70's, 80's, and 90's it was often said of QB's: "You can't teach accuracy." It was a cliché. Accuracy was considered a "God-given talent."

Dak is Exhibit #1 for how it is possible to teach (learn) accuracy. He's come a very long way from his days in college, where he was decidedly inconsistent.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's right.

And in the 70's, 80's, and 90's it was often said of QB's: "You can't teach accuracy." It was a cliché. Accuracy was considered a "God-given talent."

Dak is Exhibit #1 for how it is possible to teach (learn) accuracy. He's come a very long way from his days in college, where he was decidedly inconsistent.
Josh Allen is another example, he was horrendously inaccurate and now is one of the best QB's in the league.

I think it's a combination of mechanics and scheme, certain guys just don't have the aptitude/physical ability to where they can refine their mechanics to improve accuracy, and then of course scheming up simple throws is a huge part of it too.

Dak has been amazing but Moore has also done a great job of scheming up a handful of throws a game that a college QB could make that pop for 10-15 yards.

Top Bottom