2021 Season, Week 3 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Eagles @ Cowboys | 09/26/21

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I literally think he is afraid of contact. That's an awful trait for a LBer.
I don't think it's "afraid" necessarily, but that he doesn't have any confidence being able to take on blocks, shed and make a play. He basically gets completely washed out on contact, which is for a variety of reasons I think.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's going to be an issue in some games though, especially in the playoffs potentially. He got roasted against the Eagles and that Hargrave/Biadasz matchup is basically the only thing that gave them any life at all.

When we aren't dominating like that it's going to come back to bite us in the ass, but unfortunately we don't really have an alternative at this point. With that said, I generally agree that there is plenty of room for improvement and that it's reasonable to expect that with improvement he could be a very solid starting center.

It's just something we have to work around in the meantime unless Williams or McGovern magically learn how to snap consistently.
Now we may be seeing why Williams was getting looks at center. Just to have options.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's "afraid" necessarily, but that he doesn't have any confidence being able to take on blocks, shed and make a play. He basically gets completely washed out on contact, which is for a variety of reasons I think.
I think of the play where he jumped on top of his own players. He literally could have taken a kill shot at the ball carrier but instead jumped on top of everyone. Then I see a play like the old Oklahoma drill where there is a hole and a RB coming right up it and he always finds a way to run the other direction. Just not wanting to lay anyone out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think of the play where he jumped on top of his own players. He literally could have taken a kill shot at the ball carrier but instead jumped on top of everyone. Then I see a play like the old Oklahoma drill where there is a hole and a RB coming right up it and he always finds a way to run the other direction. Just not wanting to lay anyone out.
Yea there's a combination of a lot of very bad things going on. He's not bad when he gets free runs in space and doesn't have to work through traffic/blocks, but obviously that's kind of important for an LB.

It's concerning to me that with Neal out and Parsons playing more as an edge rusher he's outsnapping LVE by quite a bit, I don't think he'll be back next year either way but it's giving me a bit of pause.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea there's a combination of a lot of very bad things going on. He's not bad when he gets free runs in space and doesn't have to work through traffic/blocks, but obviously that's kind of important for an LB.

It's concerning to me that with Neal out and Parsons playing more as an edge rusher he's outsnapping LVE by quite a bit, I don't think he'll be back next year either way but it's giving me a bit of pause.
Neal being back will definitely help. But if given the choice LVE is way more useful than Jaylon. But contracts and an owners love for one guy clearly impacts the roster even if it shouldn't.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

It was disturbing to hear the MNF announcers calling Smith the undisputed leader of the defense.

I don't think they pulled that completely out of their asses and are parroting someone. Hence, disturbing

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It was disturbing to hear the MNF announcers calling Smith the undisputed leader of the defense.

I don't think they pulled that completely out of their asses and are parroting someone. Hence, disturbing
Yea definitely not great, he also seemed to be making most of the defensive calls.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly can't remember another player for us who so often took himself out of position to make plays.

It literally happens multiple times a week.
I agree and all he needs to do is dive in the hole and trip the guys legs up. This isn't an athletic problem or anything like that. You're right there in the right spot, now just finish the play.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree and all he needs to do is dive in the hole and trip the guys legs up. This isn't an athletic problem or anything like that. You're right there in the right spot, now just finish the play.
He's progress-stopping a kid like Cox. He's just not a good player.

This is a seriously disturbing trend and I'm sensing interference from on high. Not surprising of course, but tarnishes the high of winning two in a row.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's progress-stopping a kid like Cox. He's just not a good player.

This is a seriously disturbing trend and I'm sensing interference from on high. Not surprising of course, but tarnishes the high of winning two in a row.
Yeah you read articles about past players saying Jerry determines starters. And then you see this and it certainly makes you wonder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah you read articles about past players saying Jerry determines starters. And then you see this and it certainly makes you wonder.
We're going to be in a bit of a cap crunch next year with so many free agents and it would just boggle the mind if Jaylon is kept around when we could save $5 million (or more if designated June 1) by cutting him, especially after drafting Parsons, Cox and signing Neal who was clearly playing more when available.

Top Bottom