2021 Season, Week 2 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Chargers | 09/19/21

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I went back and re-watched the game, watching Steele specifically, and he didn't get nearly as much help as one might expect. They did plenty with the formations to help him out a bit by lining up TE's or bunch formations to his side to widen Bosa's stance, but there weren't many times where we kept a RB or TE in pass protection who helped him specifically.

By my count he was left 1 on 1 in pass protection a total of 23 times, with 18 of those coming against Bosa, while he got dedicated help 3 times, all against Bosa. There were a few pass plays that were RPO-type actions where the OL is operating more as if it's a run play than in traditional pass protection so I didn't count those.

Of those 23 1 on 1's he was only clearly beaten about 4 times, all by Bosa, but obviously none went for a sack. And there were plenty of times where he either stalemated Bosa 1 on 1, or actually drove him into the ground a handful of times. For example, on the strip sack that Tyron gave up on 3rd down in the red zone, Steele had Bosa on the ground, there's another play maybe in the 2nd where Bosa got past him by about "half a man" and Steele punched at him knocking him to the ground.

He was also very solid in the run game, he completely embarrassed Jerry Tillery (2019 1st rounder) a few times by driving him several yards off the ball, while against Bosa it was mostly a stalemate on each play. Bosa got him for solid penetration once or twice but Steele definitely held his own, and obviously we ran for nearly 200 yards so the run blocking overall was very good.

Long story short, Steele looked like he belonged in an NFL game. The biggest compliment I can pay him is that in a theoretical world if I had been completely in the dark about what was going on with the team, being completely out of the loop as far as injury/suspension news, and I had just watched the game with the players not wearing jersey numbers, I honestly would've thought that Collins was playing.

We'll see if he can keep it up but if this continues it'd be one of the more shocking developments to me in the last 5-10 years. Steele actually looked like a guy who could be a long-term starter going up against legitimately one of the top 5 or so DE's in the league.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I went back and re-watched the game, watching Steele specifically, and he didn't get nearly as much help as one might expect. They did plenty with the formations to help him out a bit by lining up TE's or bunch formations to his side to widen Bosa's stance, but there weren't many times where we kept a RB or TE in pass protection who helped him specifically.

By my count he was left 1 on 1 in pass protection a total of 23 times, with 18 of those coming against Bosa, while he got dedicated help 3 times, all against Bosa. There were a few pass plays that were RPO-type actions where the OL is operating more as if it's a run play than in traditional pass protection so I didn't count those.

Of those 23 1 on 1's he was only clearly beaten about 4 times, all by Bosa, but obviously none went for a sack. And there were plenty of times where he either stalemated Bosa 1 on 1, or actually drove him into the ground a handful of times. For example, on the strip sack that Tyron gave up on 3rd down in the red zone, Steele had Bosa on the ground, there's another play maybe in the 2nd where Bosa got past him by about "half a man" and Steele punched at him knocking him to the ground.

He was also very solid in the run game, he completely embarrassed Jerry Tiller (2019 1st rounder) a few times by driving him several yards off the ball, while against Bosa it was mostly a stalemate on each play. Bosa got him for solid penetration once or twice but Steele definitely held his own, and obviously we ran for nearly 200 yards so the run blocking overall was very good.

Long story short, Steele looked like he belonged in an NFL game. The biggest compliment I can pay him is that in a theoretical world if I had been completely in the dark about what was going on with the team, being completely out of the loop as far as injury/suspension news, and I had just watched the game with the players not wearing jersey numbers, I honestly would've thought that Collins was playing.

We'll see if he can keep it up but if this continues it'd be one of the more shocking developments to me in the last 5-10 years. Steele actually looked like a guy who could be a long-term starter going up against legitimately one of the top 5 or so DE's in the league.
I guess we must credit Philbin for some damn good work developing Steele.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea and the other thing is that last year there was no real offseason/training camp, so in many ways the improvement of 2nd year guys is kind of unpredictable given that this was their first normal offseason.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Aren't you glad you waited to see?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yea and the other thing is that last year there was no real offseason/training camp, so in many ways the improvement of 2nd year guys is kind of unpredictable given that this was their first normal offseason.
It's like getting another UDFA!!!

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
And I’m sure he still has upside yet untapped.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Finally settling down to watch the 2nd half intently since I missed a lot of it Sunday.

The officiating was so corrupt on both sides.

I cranked up the sound and there were wimmen shrieking with all of Herbert's throws.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Finally settling down to watch the 2nd half intently since I missed a lot of it Sunday.

The officiating was so corrupt on both sides.

I cranked up the sound and there were wimmen shrieking with all of Herbert's throws.
The officiating was all up its ass. They got to where they had bad calls on one side and would then make make-up bad calls on the other side.

Top Bottom