2021 Season | Week 15 | Gameday Chatter Thread, Thursday Night | Chiefs @ Chargers | 12/16/21

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Free range chickens only means they aren’t in small cages. They are still confined to open areas MUCH smaller than pastures. Think square footage compared to hundreds of acres. A pasture is where cattle/horses/sheep etc…are.
To classify as "free range", the chickens can have a little enclosure that is small say 3x5.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That is exactly the way it looked when his body stiffened up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To classify as "free range", the chickens can have a little enclosure that is small say 3x5.
Free range chickens have to have some times during the day when they are let out to, well, free range.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Free range chickens have to have some times during the day when they are let out to, well, free range.
Yeah...they have a little area in the open outside the building that they can walk around in. But they don't wander around in vast open area.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah...they have a little area in the open outside the building that they can walk around in. But they don't wander around in vast open area.
That's correct.

data

Forbes #1
The other one I’ve heard about is people swearing by it worth the price premium is grass-fed beef vs standard grain.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other one I’ve heard about is people swearing by it worth the price premium is grass-fed beef vs standard grain.
I've always been of the belief that grain fed is more tender and has more fat. Grass-fed is better for you.

But hell who knows.

data

Forbes #1
I've always been of the belief that grain fed is more tender and has more fat. Grass-fed is better for you.

But hell who knows.
I tried the Kerrygold Irish butter and the clarified butter (ghee). Just for regular cooking and for steaks. Can’t tell the difference.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just another way to try and milk more money out of an unsuspecting consumer base. No cattle will be fed strictly grain. They will be fed either hay put up, or prairie grass. They need the roughage to keep their digestive tracts healthy. Straight grain would be too much on their systems and they would bloat and die.

When a steer is put in the feedlot to fatten before butcher, they will be fed both. Depending on how big they are, they will get around 2-5 gallons a day of grain, each. Which more than likely will be a mixture of wheat, barley, corn, peas, lentils, sunflower, etc... Also, different types of hay will be fed. Prairie grass, slough hay, crested wheat, barley hay, etc... They each have their different pros and cons. It usually takes a beef around 4 months of feedlot care to 'finish out'.

Another way is to feed chopped hay mixed with grains. My uncle will load around 7-8000 lbs of chopped hay, 3-400 lbs of mixed grains, then another 7-8000 lbs of water into a mixing truck. This will be fed to around 125 head or so, give or take. This is fed once every two days in the winter months, with dry hay being fed on the alternating day. Takes a lot of feed to keep a cattle herd going, especially during the winter months. And this is before moving cattle into the feedlot. He usually feeds out around a dozen or so head for butcher. The rest of the calves go to market where meat buyers will buy them and ship to a feedlot for finish. I should say, the steers will head to the feedlot, and the heifers are sold to people looking for replacements for their herd, or to just enlarge their herd. Some heifers will be butchered, but mostly it's steers.

Strange topic for a football thread. Only at the DCC. :lol

p1_

DCC 4Life
Just another way to try and milk more money out of an unsuspecting consumer base. No cattle will be fed strictly grain. They will be fed either hay put up, or prairie grass. They need the roughage to keep their digestive tracts healthy. Straight grain would be too much on their systems and they would bloat and die.

When a steer is put in the feedlot to fatten before butcher, they will be fed both. Depending on how big they are, they will get around 2-5 gallons a day of grain, each. Which more than likely will be a mixture of wheat, barley, corn, peas, lentils, sunflower, etc... Also, different types of hay will be fed. Prairie grass, slough hay, crested wheat, barley hay, etc... They each have their different pros and cons. It usually takes a beef around 4 months of feedlot care to 'finish out'.

Another way is to feed chopped hay mixed with grains. My uncle will load around 7-8000 lbs of chopped hay, 3-400 lbs of mixed grains, then another 7-8000 lbs of water into a mixing truck. This will be fed to around 125 head or so, give or take. This is fed once every two days in the winter months, with dry hay being fed on the alternating day. Takes a lot of feed to keep a cattle herd going, especially during the winter months. And this is before moving cattle into the feedlot. He usually feeds out around a dozen or so head for butcher. The rest of the calves go to market where meat buyers will buy them and ship to a feedlot for finish.

Strange topic for a football thread. Only at the DCC. :lol
you seem to be somewhat of an expert on said strange topic.

Top Bottom