2021 Season | Week 15 | Gameday Chatter Thread, Thursday Night | Chiefs @ Chargers | 12/16/21

data

Forbes #1
You live in Cali, so this is to be expected. Fucking hippies.
Are fresh eggs (ie from a neighbor or some shit like that) better than big farm produced, store-bought eggs?

If so, you willing to pay more for fresh eggs?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Are fresh eggs (ie from a neighbor or some shit like that) better than big farm produced, store-bought eggs?

If so, you willing to pay more for fresh eggs?
Yes and yes.

data

Forbes #1
Yes and yes.
The pasture raised eggs, which I guess is the closest to fresh eggs at the store are twice the price as the regular eggs.

USDA Prime steaks arent twice the price as Select grade, but I can definitely taste the difference.

Is the taste of fresh eggs as discernible? Some people talk about fresh fish vs frozen fish and cheap vs expensive wine…my palette, thankfully, can’t tell the difference.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos where people test $30,000 violins vs basic violins, K-Mart mountain bikes vs expensive, snow gear, etc… interesting shit

Cotton

Staff member
The pasture raised eggs, which I guess is the closest to fresh eggs at the store are twice the price as the regular eggs.

USDA Prime steaks arent twice the price as Select grade, but I can definitely taste the difference.

Is the taste of fresh eggs as discernible? Some people talk about fresh fish vs frozen fish and cheap vs expensive wine…my palette, thankfully, can’t tell the difference.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos where people test $30,000 violins vs basic violins, K-Mart mountain bikes vs expensive, snow gear, etc… interesting shit
Yes, the taste is absolutely discernible. And much much better.

data

Forbes #1
Yes, the taste is absolutely discernible. And much much better.
fuck. You’re gonna make me drop a couple extra buckson this next time I’m at the store now. I was just fine buying tortured, McDonald’s-level grain fed chicken eggs.

Thanks, hippie. :lol

data

Forbes #1
What the fuck?

Pasture chickens? :lol
Yeah, I’m guessing it means they roam around a pasture eating bugs instead of locked up in a cage being fed through a tube or whatever. Costs twice as much.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I’m guessing it means they roam around a pasture eating bugs instead of locked up in a cage being fed through a tube or whatever. Costs twice as much.
No. Chickens do not roam around in a pasture. Coyotes, racoons, weasels etc... would have them all gone within days.

Cotton

Staff member
No. Chickens do not roam around in a pasture. Coyotes, racoons, weasels etc... would have them all gone within days.
Around here it would be either coyotes or foxes.

Cotton

Staff member
Friggin city slickers.

data

Forbes #1
Thats the industry term. I didn’t make it up.

That’s what makes this shit so confusing - apparently ‘farm raised’ still can mean the chickens are in cages…and whatever ‘free range’ is supposed to mean.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Thats the industry term. I didn’t make it up.

That’s what makes this shit so confusing - apparently ‘farm raised’ still can mean the chickens are in cages…and whatever ‘free range’ is supposed to mean.
Free range chickens only means they aren’t in small cages. They are still confined to open areas MUCH smaller than pastures. Think square footage compared to hundreds of acres. A pasture is where cattle/horses/sheep etc…are.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
this shit was like $9 for a dozen

My impression on stuff like this is it's basically marketing bullshit that doesn't actually mean anything meaningful. Particularly the organic nonsense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Free range chickens only means they aren’t in small cages. They are still confined to open areas MUCH smaller than pastures. Think square footage compared to hundreds of acres. A pasture is where cattle/horses/sheep etc…are.
Yeah I know a couple who has a farm where they get these specialized eggs. It's really not much difference. The chickens are in a confined space and they get a little outdoor time. But it's all the same. It's all a contract through a purchaser that mandates those things so they can then sell the eggs at a premium. The egg is really no different and the farmers deal with the same disease issues as any other farmer.

I actually helped them change the chickens out. Because these chickens don't live some sort of a charmed life. They produce eggs for awhile, then they all get taken out and replaced with new chickens. The old ones gets slaughtered and sold as dog treats and shit.

Top Bottom