2021 Rookie camp, OTAs, TC thread...

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Cox is a beast. We had better have the best Lber core in the league. When you spend two 1st a second and a 3rd on your Lbers we had better be rocking or somebody needs to get fired. Same thing at Wr we spent two first and a 3rd on our Wr group.
Cox was a 4th, but I agree with the premise

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Can someone explain the bellyflop drill there and what fucking purpose it serves?
I always thought it was just to train you to lay out when necessary.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The only receivers he will get physical with are the ones just drafted that weigh under 170. String bean.
The guy does seem to be around the ball a lot. 5 picks in 18 college games doesn’t suck.

But I have no idea how he covers this 170 pound rookie in Philly. That guys going to be a pain in our ass for years.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The guy does seem to be around the ball a lot. 5 picks in 18 college games doesn’t suck.

But I have no idea how he covers this 170 pound rookie in Philly. That guys going to be a pain in our ass for years.
I'm still skeptical of this fascination with height in a corner. I get that you can't be too short either, but at 6-4 it's almost impossible to have the short area quickness you need to cover the shifty guys.

But like we've said, nobody is expecting much out of this guy anyway so it's not exactly crushing if doesn't make it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm still skeptical of this fascination with height in a corner. I get that you can't be too short either, but at 6-4 it's almost impossible to have the short area quickness you need to cover the shifty guys.

But like we've said, nobody is expecting much out of this guy anyway so it's not exactly crushing if doesn't make it.
Anything at all we get out of this guy will be gravy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything at all we get out of this guy will be gravy.
Yeah I mean length is great. It helps to makeup for a lack of quickness to an extent because you don't have to be as close to the receiver to knock the ball away. But when you get too tall you don't have as much change of direction and short area quickness. QBs are pretty accurate so it's not so easy. Definitely don't want him covering the slot.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

The answer lies in how Richard Sherman has played the game. He wasn't a very fast dude at 4.54, but he could play outside technique very well and his reach was plain ridiculous. You'd think your guy was open and it would end up a PD.

By all rights this kid is a little faster at 4.45-4.49, though he's also 7-8 pounds lighter than Sherman.

In any case, Dallas bugged when they drafted him in the 3rd. I think though had they not and drafted Cox instead, they probably would have panic-drafted Wright where they drafted Cox anyways.

They probably still could have had him in the 6th or 7th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The answer lies in how Richard Sherman has played the game. He wasn't a very fast dude at 4.54, but he could play outside technique very well and his reach was plain ridiculous. You'd think your guy was open and it would end up a PD.

By all rights this kid is a little faster at 4.45-4.49, though he's also 7-8 pounds lighter than Sherman.

In any case, Dallas bugged when they drafted him in the 3rd. I think though had they not and drafted Cox instead, they probably would have panic-drafted Wright where they drafted Cox anyways.

They probably still could have had him in the 6th or 7th.
If he becomes a good player it won't matter where he was drafted. So from this point going forward it's just a question of if the guy can play. If he can then it's a good pick no matter where us and the media think he should have been drafted.

If he busts though, it's a complete failure. Much easier to stomach a bust in the fifth or sixth round. A third rounder should at least stick around the NFL for a long time even if it's as a backup.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If he becomes a good player it won't matter where he was drafted. So from this point going forward it's just a question of if the guy can play. If he can then it's a good pick no matter where us and the media think he should have been drafted.

If he busts though, it's a complete failure. Much easier to stomach a bust in the fifth or sixth round. A third rounder should at least stick around the NFL for a long time even if it's as a backup.
his slot matters only if he fails or is minimally effective. Quinn's rep is squarely on the line.

Top Bottom