2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The GM with no public voice. The Jones will always take that spotlight.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who gives a shit what he's called? We know for the most part he is the GM.

So does he.
It would be what we have all wanted for many many years. For Jerry to give up the GM title. It would be massive, even if it is just window dressing. It would make my fucking decade.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It would be what we have all wanted for many many years. For Jerry to give up the GM title. It would be massive, even if it is just window dressing. It would make my fucking decade.
Well shit, now I hope it doesn't happen.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Who gives a shit what he's called? We know for the most part he is the GM.

So does he.
I don't personally care that much anymore because I think his influence and the influence of the scouts/"football guys" over the draft process is pretty obvious. I also don't think our approach to free agency would be drastically different either if he were officially named GM

It would more be a symbolic break from the Jerry era.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And, it would be fucking glorious. I would dance for a week knowing that motherfucker finally gave in.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And, it would be fucking glorious. I would dance for a week knowing that motherfucker finally gave in.
I'd enjoy it for sure, but I can acknowledge the obvious improvement in how things have been done since basically 2014 when McClay and the scouts took over the process more, in conjunction with Stephen seemingly.

It's far from perfect but it sure as shit is worlds better than how things were in the late 90's/2000's.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don't personally care that much anymore because I think his influence and the influence of the scouts/"football guys" over the draft process is pretty obvious. I also don't think our approach to free agency would be drastically different either if he were officially named GM

I don’t have any issue with the draft, but this is the first year their free agency “moneyball approach” has actually yielded some decent results.

We don’t really sign splash players anymore, the last one was probably Brandon Carr that I can remember. I may be forgetting someone, but I’d like to sign a big name player now and again when they fit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don’t have any issue with the draft, but this is the first year their free agency “moneyball approach” has actually yielded some decent results.

We don’t really sign splash players anymore, the last one was probably Brandon Carr that I can remember. I may be forgetting someone, but I’d like to sign a big name player now and again when they fit.
Yea I think it's bullshit but it is what it is, I don't think McClay being named GM would make any difference on free agency.

With that said, it has worked at times in the past (Rolando McClain, Justin Durant, Terrell McClain, Benson Mayowa, Randall Cobb, Jeremy Mincey) but the problem is that the results are very volatile to the point that they're almost random.

We basically sign everybody to 1 year deals so even when a guy is a hit he's a threat to leave or potentially get overpaid after one good year (which may be an outlier). It leaves the state of the roster at the mercy of mostly random 1 year signings and the draft, and if you're relying on hitting like 75% in the draft every year you're really backing yourself into a corner.

I wouldn't advocate for them to spend lavishly every other year, the cheap moneyball stuff is fine in general, they just need to mix in a targeted big spend on a legit FA every once in a while.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Free agency is more of Goof Son's domain IMO.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Free agency is more of Goof Son's domain IMO.
I already hate him more than I ever hated Jerry. I could actually like Jerry if he would shut the F up.

It seems he(Jerry) forces MM’s hand every week through the media.

Last week Jerry said that if Dak wasn’t playing well into the second half that something would be wrong, something to that effect. I don’t think any of the starters would have been in the game after halftime of Jerry hadn’t made that comment.

He may have even said the 4th qtr. I can’t remember. It’s his team, but at some level it should be MM’s team also. He should ultimately make those decisions, not some geriatric fuck through the media.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't even care. It's just a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom