2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think there's a significant difference between McGovern and Williams, just have an open competition and whoever loses is a super-sub. Obviously Williams would provide more versatility but if something were to happen to one of the OT's I think you'd move Martin out there and keep Williams/McGovern at OG, or you might just start Knight at OT and leave Martin at RG.

Of course this assumes we don't draft someone like Slater in the 1st or Leatherwood in the 2nd.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
While it's true that we could improve enough through the draft to compete at the top of the NFC it's patently absurd if they don't go after an impact starter in FA.

And by impact starter I don't mean a 20 million/year guy, you can get legitimate starters in their prime for about 8-10/year. Someone like Marcus Williams, Eric Wilson, Dalvin Tomlinson, DJ Jones, John Johnson or Marcus Maye.

Each and every one of the top contenders in each conference have splurged a bit in free agency here and there, the Chiefs have Tyrann Mathieu and Sammy Watkins, the Saints have Emmanuel Sanders and Malcolm Jenkins, the Packers have the two Smith's at OLB and Adrian Amos, so on and so forth.

And these are teams paying high-priced QB's.

They don't need to go out and sign 4 guys at 10/year, but a targeted signing at safety or DT needs to happen, and not some 32 year old on a 1 year deal on their last legs.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
While it's true that we could improve enough through the draft to compete at the top of the NFC it's patently absurd if they don't go after an impact starter in FA.

And by impact starter I don't mean a 20 million/year guy, you can get legitimate starters in their prime for about 8-10/year. Someone like Marcus Williams, Eric Wilson, Dalvin Tomlinson, DJ Jones, John Johnson or Marcus Maye.

Each and every one of the top contenders in each conference have splurged a bit in free agency here and there, the Chiefs have Tyrann Mathieu and Sammy Watkins, the Saints have Emmanuel Sanders and Malcolm Jenkins, the Packers have the two Smith's at OLB and Adrian Amos, so on and so forth.

And these are teams paying high-priced QB's.

They don't need to go out and sign 4 guys at 10/year, but a targeted signing at safety or DT needs to happen, and not some 32 year old on a 1 year deal on their last legs.

Totally agree.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm curious to see what they do with Nolan or who they bring in (or promote) to replace him... 4-3 vs 3-4 will make a difference in which players we look at.

Should make a poll on which way we should go. I like the 34 better and I think MM does also, but I don't think Jerry does. Also don't think our personnel are as suited for that, but we need so many new players I don't think that's a huge factor.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm curious to see what they do with Nolan or who they bring in (or promote) to replace him... 4-3 vs 3-4 will make a difference in which players we look at.

Should make a poll on which way we should go. I like the 34 better and I think MM does also, but I don't think Jerry does. Also don't think our personnel are as suited for that, but we need so many new players I don't think that's a huge factor.
Unless Nolan is fired in the next few days I don't think he's going to be fired, unless of course they just promote George Edwards which is kind of meh in the first place. The DC pickings are going to be real slim in about a week or so once teams start hiring new HC's and building out staffs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas just doesn't know how to go after good, impactful prospects who are already in the NFL.

They either make a big deal out of it and emerge from a bidding war with an overpriced turd, sign broken players with major problems that got them passed over by the sane organizations, or they ignore it entirely.

That's what shocked me most with the Amari Cooper trade-- it gave me hope.

I can't see the 49ers or Giants letting solid players like DJ Jones or Dalvin Tomlinson go cheaply, but they would be the right kind of hires, especially Tomlinson.

Larry Ogunjobi of the Browns is an intriguing player as well. A 5-6 sack guy as a rotating 3T, he's been relegated to NT where he's out of position. He also got fined for fighting, so the Browns might be willing to let him go. I think he would definitely push Hill or Gallimore if not outright beat them for the starting 3T position and would be a strong rotation player in any case.

Dallas would get caught in the trap of believing Hill and Gallimore (or worse, Crawford) are better than Jones or Ogunjobi and never make the move, choosing to gamble on the two they have (i.e. core of the 2nd worst run defense in the NFL) instead of going for a sure thing.

And they'd never pay premium money for a core guy like Tomlinson over splash players at other positions. This org is too stupid.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Unless Nolan is fired in the next few days I don't think he's going to be fired, unless of course they just promote George Edwards which is kind of meh in the first place.
That's kind of what I expect. He's been here before, he has the Zimmer connection, he'd run a 43 (I assume)... all positives for Jerry.

But who knows if Nolan will even be gone. David Moore said this morning he expects a mini fight between Jerry and MM on this as MM would rather keep Nolan.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's kind of what I expect. He's been here before, he has the Zimmer connection, he'd run a 43 (I assume)... all positives for Jerry.

But who knows if Nolan will even be gone. David Moore said this morning he expects a mini fight between Jerry and MM on this as MM would rather keep Nolan.

:picard

So typical if true.

I want Nolan gone, but that has to be the HC's decision not the fake GM.

Even when Jerry's right he's wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

So typical if true.

That's the hard part. Nolan should be gone. I want him gone and it's pretty obvious he just isn't very good at his job. But Mike McCarthy has a blind loyalty to the man. So while the end result is I want him gone, I also don't trust McCarthy to make the right decision with regards to the defensive coordinator. So what do you do? Fire McCarthy because he sucks at picking defensive coordinators? Or do you undermine your head coach and make the decision for him.

So it's just an awkward spot. What I want is for McCarthy to realize he needs someone better on defense. I just don't know that he has the balls to be the bad guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life

So typical if true.

I'd be just as concerned if McCarthy were to defend Nolan, given the job performance. Theres just no way around it, he flat out sucked. We simply cant have a repeat of this defensive performance.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

So typical if true.

Moore did say it's early in Mike's tenure so Jerry will probably not insist the way he would if it had been years with no results (like with Garrett).

The other angle is -- IMO -- Mike's hiring was obviously a Stephen production and Stephen can fight for Mike's decision also.

I'm not so sure Mike would fight Jerry that hard on Nolan. When they asked MM at the PC last night he sounded pretty noncommittal to me... kind of the generic, "We'll have to get together and talk about those decisions about our entire team", etc.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No matter the decisions on DC and the draft, moving forward as a fan I’m pretty disappointed and disgusted with what I’ve seen out of meatball Mikey this season.

We are still seeing the head scratching in game decisions (indecision?) we saw with the RHG for years. The team has still looked unprepared far too many times for his supposed pedigree.

Maybe it’s the mask, but all I ever see is him staring up at the Jerry-tron video board, and a basic dazed look. It’s becoming more apparent and more uncomfortable knowing that Rodgers made this guy look way better than he apparently is.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
No matter the decisions on DC and the draft, moving forward as a fan I’m pretty disappointed and disgusted with what I’ve seen out of meatball Mikey this season.

We are still seeing the head scratching in game decisions (indecision?) we saw with the RHG for years. The team has still looked unprepared far too many times for his supposed pedigree.

Maybe it’s the mask, but all I ever see is him staring up at the Jerry-tron video board, and a basic dazed look. It’s becoming more apparent and more uncomfortable knowing that Rodgers made this guy look way better than he apparently is.
This is exactly how I feel about him. Based off solely his tenure in Dallas thus far, all things considered, does the guy deserve a second season? Of course.

But going back to GB, we have more than enough information on him. This season did nothing for me but affirm what everyone was saying when he was ran out of Lambeau. Not to mention, his ability to field a staff looks like a resounding fail outside of TE, and the retention of Moore.

Im sick of this franchise wasting time. After almost ten years with Garrett, I know two with McCarthy is a drop in the water for some of you, but if he isnt the guy to lead us to a championship, why waste a season, and why waste a year of a lot of good player’s careers?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
His replacement in GB posted back to back 13-3 seasons. The draft that repaired their defense was 100% the reason why.

Coaches can't do much without talent and/or weak competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom