2021 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Her name is Titiana?
It's a satire account, iirc it's actually a dude that got banned for a dif satire account that's behind it

p1_

DCC 4Life
are folks down on Philbin?

I think his unit performed decent given the injury parade and the Terence Steele Shit Show. Badass looks very promising, McGovern appears serviceable, Williams is a weak link and Tyrone is not too long for the game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I think his unit performed decent given the injury parade and the Terence Steele Shit Show. Badass looks very promising, McGovern appears serviceable, Williams is a weak link and Tyrone is not too long for the game.
I dont think too many were for the hire in the first place. Hard to be for a guy that advocates for Steele to start over Erving. I do think he was able to get the most out him by the end of the year so there is that. Also hard to do an adequate job when your OLine is a turnstile due to injuries. I dont see McCarthy replacing him so I guess we will get another year to see.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont think too many were for the hire in the first place. Hard to be for a guy that advocates for Steele to start over Erving. I do think he was able to get the most out him by the end of the year so there is that. Also hard to do an adequate job when your OLine is a turnstile due to injuries. I dont see McCarthy replacing him so I guess we will get another year to see.
Yeah, I mean the guy didn't really get a fair shot with basically all of his best lineman hurt. I thought he did solid with what he was given but that's not saying a ton. I was never huge on him as our O-line coach in the first place so I'm good either way. But I can't really judge him based on what we had on the O-line last year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I thought that taking so long to slide Martin out to RT was baffling. Clearly the best option for a terrible situation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I thought Philbin did a decent enough job. But i would consider this an upgrade.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From a mailbag at the official site:

I have read how important the free safety position is in Dan Quinn's scheme. Which route do you think the team will take to find the starting free safety - free agency, draft, or someone already on the roster? I would love to see them make a run at Justin Simmons. — H. MELVIN / OCEAN CITY, NJ
Nick:
I just doubt they're going to have enough money to compete with other teams for top free agents. It's never been their philosophy when they actually had more money. So I can't see that happening. I can see a shift on the draft philosophy. Let's not forget it took a coach convincing the War Room not to take Juan Thornhill because it would affect Xavier Woods' development. That was in the second round. So I don't think the Cowboys would hesitate drafting one in the second, but probably not in the first round. My hope would be to draft a safety relatively high to pair with Wilson. Maybe you can get a veteran safety on the cheap and hope he can play well.
--

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
criminal negligence.
I will never understand the concept of "progress stopping". I don't know who put that bullshit idea in the Joneses' heads, but whomever did needs to be shot. It also points out the fact that since we do not have a real GM/talent evaluator, you are at the mercy of transient coaches that may not even be around for the length of a rookie's contract.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I will never understand the concept of "progress stopping". I don't know who put that bullshit idea in the Joneses' heads, but whomever did needs to be shot. It also points out the fact that since we do not have a real GM/talent evaluator, you are at the mercy of transient coaches that may not even be around for the length of a rookie's contract.
Parcells talked about progress stoppers, but I don't believe this is what he was talking about.

I'm pretty sure a progress stopper would be a mediocre aging player who may be better than a younger up and coming player now, but very soon won't be if the young guy gets playing time and experience.

Not a young developing player versus another young developing player. That's just competition and that's exactly what we should want.

Genghis Khan

Nick: I just doubt they're going to have enough money to compete with other teams for top free agents. It's never been their philosophy when they actually had more money. So I can't see that happening. I can see a shift on the draft philosophy. Let's not forget it took a coach convincing the War Room not to take Juan Thornhill because it would affect Xavier Woods' development. That was in the second round. So I don't think the Cowboys would hesitate drafting one in the second, but probably not in the first round. My hope would be to draft a safety relatively high to pair with Wilson. Maybe you can get a veteran safety on the cheap and hope he can play well.

If they don't pour major resources into DT and safety now after seeing everything their neglect has wrought come crashing down last season, they are dumber than we even thought.

The good news though is i think they will.

They signed McCoy, Poe, and Clinton Fix last off-season. It wasn't big money or resources but it was a recognition that there are problems at those positions. So it's not like they don't know, they just need more resources to go into it than they've been willing in the past.

It's not even that much about money. A mid tier free agent or two plus using your top two rounds in the draft could go a long way.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
From a mailbag at the official site:

I have read how important the free safety position is in Dan Quinn's scheme. Which route do you think the team will take to find the starting free safety - free agency, draft, or someone already on the roster? I would love to see them make a run at Justin Simmons. — H. MELVIN / OCEAN CITY, NJ
Nick:
I just doubt they're going to have enough money to compete with other teams for top free agents. It's never been their philosophy when they actually had more money. So I can't see that happening. I can see a shift on the draft philosophy. Let's not forget it took a coach convincing the War Room not to take Juan Thornhill because it would affect Xavier Woods' development. That was in the second round. So I don't think the Cowboys would hesitate drafting one in the second, but probably not in the first round. My hope would be to draft a safety relatively high to pair with Wilson. Maybe you can get a veteran safety on the cheap and hope he can play well.
--
man it's just shit like this over and over.

But if the war room had to be convinced not to do it, that does mean that they did want to get Thornhill. So I have to believe, and I will until it's proven they can do it without him, that McClay is the brains in this organization.

And I disagree with Nick when he says that he can't see Dallas being big spenders. A decade ago we all knew they hadn't drafted an OL in the 1st since the 60s, and they built one of the most dominant lines of that decade. But they have to spend this year. They've got to put this defense together as much as possible before the draft. Two high$ FA at a minimum, not counting Gerald McCoy...but preferably DT, S, LB in that order. If they're not signing them Day 1 of FA, I think it's a pretty clear sign that it'll be the same ol' same ol'.

If you're signing Dakota Rain to that fat ass contract, you better build that defense to be a Super Bowl contender right out of the gate.

Just fucking do it, Jerry!

Genghis Khan

man it's just shit like this over and over.

But if the war room had to be convinced not to do it, that does mean that they did want to get Thornhill. So I have to believe, and I will until it's proven they can do it without him, that McClay is the brains in this organization.

And I disagree with Nick when he says that he can't see Dallas being big spenders. A decade ago we all knew they hadn't drafted an OL in the 1st since the 60s, and they built one of the most dominant lines of that decade. But they have to spend this year. They've got to put this defense together as much as possible before the draft. Two high$ FA at a minimum, not counting Gerald McCoy...but preferably DT, S, LB in that order. If they're not signing them Day 1 of FA, I think it's a pretty clear sign that it'll be the same ol' same ol'.

If you're signing Dakota Rain to that fat ass contract, you better build that defense to be a Super Bowl contender right out of the gate.

Just fucking do it, Jerry!
That's the thing. The offense is already championship caliber.

If they put all their chips on the table and just spend like drunken sailors on defense...they have a real chance.

Worry about the cap ramifications down the line.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's the thing. The offense is already championship caliber.

If they put all their chips on the table and just spend like drunken sailors on defense...they have a real chance.

Worry about the cap ramifications down the line.
Let's not ruin this offense's prime, pretty please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom