2021 NFL Cuts/Signings

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One thing I'll say about Gillmore though is if they sign him for a one year contract then let him walk in FA they'd almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick back. And obviously he'd be off the books cap wise after the season.

Other than likely having to push another player's cap hit into the future if Gilmore's one year deal has to be sizable, there's a whole lot of upside to signing him and not much downside.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I'll say about Gillmore though is if they sign him for a one year contract then let him walk in FA they'd almost certainly get a 3rd round comp pick back. And obviously he'd be off the books cap wise after the season.

Other than likely having to push another player's cap hit into the future if Gilmore's one year deal has to be sizable, there's a whole lot of upside to signing him and not much downside.
I have to say, if we could pair him with Diggs that would be pretty exciting. We are talking as a one year rental though. I don't want to be stuck with him for more than this year at 31 years old.

I doubt we do it and I'm ok with that but I think he could help guys like Bossman and Wright develop and it would certainly give us an elite corner tandem for this year to make a run.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to say, if we could pair him with Diggs that would be pretty exciting. We are talking as a one year rental though. I don't want to be stuck with him for more than this year at 31 years old.

I doubt we do it and I'm ok with that but I think he could help guys like Bossman and Wright develop and it would certainly give us an elite corner tandem for this year to make a run.
It is not in our DNA to sign one year progress stoppers. I would love to rent him, but I am very confident they are banking on Joseph to return.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Gilmore was just traded to panthers for a 6th. Don’t think we could have traded for him with his 16m salary.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gilmore was just traded to panthers for a 6th. Don’t think we could have traded for him with his 16m salary.
That's cheap as hell. Wow.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So much for being released. Guess Carolina didn't want to compete with other teams for his services.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing how a guy can go from cut to traded with the Pats. But yeah his salary would have been a problem. The Panthers seem to be really intent on building that defense. To bad Darnold is limited as a deep passer. Well too bad for them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Amazing how a guy can go from cut to traded with the Pats. But yeah his salary would have been a problem. The Panthers seem to be really intent on building that defense. To bad Darnold is limited as a deep passer. Well too bad for them.
The Panthers only inherited 6 mill of his salary. I would have done that and a 6th in a heartbeat.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe I'm missing something here.

For the price of the remainder of his contract...which comes off the books at season's end..

You could trade for Gilmore and get a top CB for the season for a 2023 6th.

Then let him walk in free agency and get a compensatory pick in 2023 that's almost certainly a third or 4th rounder, which is significantly better than the 6th you spent to acquire him.

Why wouldn't this be a no brainer?

Top Bottom