2021 Cowboys Free Agency Thread...

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I have liked Lewis because he is willing to tackle. He seems fine as long as he isn't consistently lined up against number 1s. Though he was drafted in the third he is more comparable to Anthony Brown but I thought he was a step above. Chido never quite lived up to expectations. Beyond that, I pretty much agree with you.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Chido is going to get overpaid somewhere.
I'm sure he feels the same way, but it would be great to get him back on an Anthony Brown-type deal.

Let's cut corners at CB and spend big money on front-side impact makers.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Why exactly is Awuzie getting paid big bucks?

He's had like 1/4 seasons where he was a full-time starter, I'd be happy to bring him back on an Anthony Brown type deal just so we aren't desperate for a CB in the draft but he has done exactly zero to command a large deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He's had like 1/4 seasons where he was a full-time starter, I'd be happy to bring him back on an Anthony Brown type deal just so we aren't desperate for a CB in the draft but he has done exactly zero to command a large deal.
Agreed, and there are a lot of comparable or better corners on the free agent market. Considering a lot of NFL teams will be somewhat cap strapped I think you see far fewer big contracts thrown around at mediocre players.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The top 38 CBs in the NFL make more than $4MM per year or more. Is he worth that? The top 19 make $10MM per year or more. I would say we agree he doesn't belong in the second group. I generally don't care what a player makes but for sake of conversation, in light of the numbers above, how much is he worth? 3 years at $12MMM, 1 year at $5MM, or just look at avg per year 3? 4? 5? 6?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Because NFL teams are lazy and are corner whores.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Because NFL teams are lazy and are corner whores.
Also draft pedigree is really, really sticky given all the research and evaluation that goes into the process.

It’s really hard for these folks (and media folks too) to stop thinking of a guy as a high draft pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It’s really hard for these folks (and media folks too) to stop thinking of a guy as a high draft pick.
That's really no different than most fans, too. Guys can be in the league for years, and people will complain if they "aren't living up to their draft position."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys free agency needs: Dak Prescott most notable, but Dallas will target defense

By Jon Machota 2h ago

When veteran cornerback Brandon Carr signed a five-year, $50.1 million contract with the Cowboys in March 2012, it marked the last time Dallas was a major player in free agency. For the ninth consecutive year, no moves of that magnitude are expected.

While Dak Prescott tops most lists as the most notable NFL free agent, the Cowboys franchise quarterback isn’t going anywhere. If a long-term deal isn’t reached by Tuesday, Dallas will use the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year, extending their window to negotiate to July 15.

Although the Cowboys won’t be big spenders when free agency officially begins next week, they’ll be searching for a few bargains to fill roster holes before next month’s draft.

To refresh your memory, here are some of Dallas’ most notable free agency signings last year: defensive linemen Aldon Smith, Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe and Everson Griffen, quarterback Andy Dalton, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and kicker Greg Zuerlein.

McCoy signed the longest deal of the group at three years. Only Smith, Dalton and Zuerlein were still on the roster at the end of the season.

To give you an idea of Dallas’ biggest free agency needs this time around, here’s a top-five list.

1. Safety

The Cowboys went into last season with hopes of starting Xavier Woods alongside Clinton-Dix, whom they signed to a one-year, $3.75 million deal. Clinton-Dix was released before the start of the regular season. Woods and Donovan Wilson, a sixth-round pick in 2019, played most of the safety snaps in 2020. This position has been a significant need for several years. Will they finally change their approach this year in free agency? Probably not. It seems more likely that the Cowboys will address the position in the draft. But don’t be surprised if they add a bargain-type player during free agency to add depth.

Top free agents like Justin Simmons, Anthony Harris, Marcus Williams and Marcus Maye will likely be too expensive. Perhaps someone like Malik Hooker or Keanu Neal could make sense at the right price. Whichever way Dallas approaches the position, it has to find a player with the ability to play the deep safety spot in new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn’s Cover 3 zone scheme. Wilson should be a solid starter at strong safety, but the Cowboys need to pair him with a playmaking free safety.

Current depth chart: Xavier Woods (UFA), Donovan Wilson, Darian Thompson.

2. Cornerback

There was hope that the 2017 draft would fix some of the Cowboys’ long-term problems at cornerback. They drafted Chidobe Awuzie in the second round and Jourdan Lewis in the third. Both could be leaving Dallas without a second contract. The Cowboys hit on cornerback in the second round last year with Trevon Diggs. Now they have to find him help. Could that be in free agency? Sure. Although it will more than likely come in the draft. Free-agent depth shouldn’t be ruled out. Veterans on the roster like Anthony Brown, Maurice Canady and Rashard Robinson could provide some depth. So could last year’s fourth-round pick, Reggie Robinson II. Free agents Richard Sherman or Kevin King make some sense because of their previous connections with head coach Mike McCarthy and Quinn. McCarthy was the Packers’ head coach when they drafted King with the 33rd overall pick in 2017. Sherman was the Seahawks’ top corner during Quinn’s two seasons in charge of Seattle’s defense.

It also can’t be completely ruled out that Awuzie or Lewis returns on a team-friendly deal. With the league’s salary cap expected to be reduced from last season, there could be a large number of veterans looking to sign one-year deals in hopes of cashing in next year when the cap recovers.

Current depth chart: Trevon Diggs, Chidobe Awuzie (UFA), Jourdan Lewis (UFA), Anthony Brown, Maurice Canady, Rashard Robinson, Reggie Robinson II.

3. Defensive tackle

McCoy and Trysten Hill were expected to be the starters entering the 2020 season, but McCoy suffered a season-ending quad injury in training camp. Hill and Poe started the first five games. Hill then was lost for the season to a knee injury in Week 5. Poe was released after Week 7. Hill and Neville Gallimore, last year’s third-round pick, would likely be the starters if the season started today. But the Cowboys need more help, and they’ve been reluctant to spend much in the past. During Dallas’ best seasons over the previous decade, former defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli often found bargains to start in the middle of his defensive line, players like Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, David Irving and Antwaun Woods. Quinn’s specialty is the defensive line. He could be looking at free agency to add affordable veteran depth to the middle of his defense.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone if McCoy returned. Former Cowboy Jack Crawford, who played for Quinn in Atlanta, could also be a fit. Woods is a restricted free agent who is expected back.

Current depth chart: Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, Antwaun Woods (RFA), Justin Hamilton, Eli Ankou (UFA).

4. Linebacker

How quickly things change. After the 2018 season, this was thought to be one of the strongest positions on the roster. Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch were expected to become one of the best linebacker duos in the game. But Smith appears to have regressed and Vander Esch has struggled to stay healthy. The Cowboys have invested significantly at the position with those two players, but it’s clear they need someone who can provide depth and also have the upside to take on a starting role, if needed. Adding a veteran could help in that situation, especially since Sean Lee could retire this offseason.

Free agents like Denzel Perryman, Jarrad Davis or Damien Wilson could make some sense at the right price. Other than Rolando McClain in 2014 and 2015, the Cowboys have received the majority of their impact at linebacker over the past decade from players they have drafted.

Current depth chart: Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee (UFA), Joe Thomas (UFA), Francis Bernard, Luke Gifford, Justin March (UFA).

5. Offensive tackle

The Cowboys believe that starting left tackle Tyron Smith and starting right tackle La’el Collins will be healthy and ready to go for the 2021 season. Smith missed 14 games last year because of a neck injury he eventually had surgically repaired. Collins missed the entire season with a hip injury that he also had surgically repaired. Those are two very important pieces along the offensive line. If there is any doubt about both being fully healthy for the upcoming season, the Cowboys need to start looking for help. They can’t afford to go another season with Brandon Knight and Terence Steele as their starting offensive tackles.

If there were serious doubts about the futures of Smith or Collins, Dallas would likely address offensive tackle with the 10th overall pick. A free agency signing at the position would be more about adding an experienced veteran who could help with spot starts. Cameron Fleming, who spent last season with the Giants, filled that role for Dallas in previous seasons. He is an unrestricted free agent. Cameron Erving was supposed to fill that role for the Cowboys in 2020, but the former first-round pick struggled to stay healthy. He played in six games, starting five.

Current depth chart: Tyron Smith, La’el Collins, Cameron Erving (UFA), Brandon Knight, Terence Steele, Greg Senat (RFA), Mitch Hyatt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hate it when free agency is where Dallas looks for "bargains". There are no bargains if the player can't play.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I hate it when free agency is where Dallas looks for "bargains". There are no bargains if the player can't play.
Or worse, "team friendly contract." Who cares if he's cheap if he can't play? We heard that phrase a lot when T-Will re-signed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or worse, "team friendly contract." Who cares if he's cheap if he can't play? We heard that phrase a lot when T-Will re-signed.
It bugs me even more when people say "right price". That usually ends up with the fact that we will "show interest" but once they realize we are run by Tightwad Stephen, they go somewhere else.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Although the Cowboys won’t be big spenders when free agency officially begins next week, they’ll be searching for a few bargains to fill roster holes before next month’s draft
Great, because that's totally been working.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Actually we do need more solid but unspectacular players like Canady too. Our problem has been committing to complete wastes of space like Crawford and Poe.

I was shocked how badly Poe had fallen off. It was Marcellus Wiley-like.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Actually we do need more solid but unspectacular players like Canady too. Our problem has been committing to complete wastes of space like Crawford and Poe.

I was shocked how badly Poe had fallen off. It was Marcellus Wiley-like.
Marcellus did have a few sacks here. Poe was absolute shit right out of the gate, no effort whatsoever.

Top Bottom