2021 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak Prescott one of Cowboys’ 17 scheduled unrestricted free agents in 2021
Sean Lee and Tyrone Crawford have decisions to make regarding their NFL future.
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott throws a pass during the second quarter of an NFL football game Atlanta Falcons at AT&T Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020, in Arlington. (Smiley N. Pool/The Dallas Morning News)

By Michael Gehlken
2:58 PM on Jan 5, 2021 CST

Dak Prescott won’t reach free agency this offseason.

The Cowboys quarterback either will sign a long-term extension in the next two months or, during a Feb. 23 to March 9 window, be franchise tagged for a second straight year. That tag is worth about $37 million, a 20% raise from a $31.4 million figure in 2020.

His contract is set to expire on March 17.

It’s far from the only one.

Prescott is among the 22 Cowboys players scheduled to become free agents that day when the new league year begins. Seventeen of the 22, including Prescott, are impending unrestricted free agents, able to sign with any team if they reach the open market. Four are restricted free agents who, if Dallas exercises a one-year tender, are likely to be retained.

Defensive lineman Ron’Dell Carter is considered a lock to return in 2020 as an exclusive-rights free agent.

Here is the full list.

Unrestricted free agents (17)

Quarterback Dak Prescott: The locker room’s heartbeat. Full recovery expected from Week 5 ankle fracture.

Quarterback Andy Dalton: If back in 2021, something went very wrong. Plans to compete for starting job elsewhere.

Cornerback Chidobe Awuzie: Not the contract year he envisioned. Missed eight games. Appeared on injury report with hamstring, ankle, knee and groin ailments.

Safety Xavier Woods: Made 44 starts the past three seasons at a position where the team tends not to invest.

Cornerback Jourdan Lewis: Scrappy competitor. He, Awuzie and Woods represent three of five starting DBs when Cowboys in nickel defense (69.6% of time in 2020).

Cornerback C.J. Goodwin: Best special teamer on the Cowboys, two years running.

Linebacker Joe Thomas: Inconsistent response to early-season opportunity on defense. But showed flashes and helped on special teams.

Linebacker Sean Lee: Contemplating retirement. After sports-hernia surgery in September, there seems a higher chance this year than last.

Defensive end Aldon Smith: NFL comeback went as well as realistically could be expected. Offseason should benefit him if he continues off-field strides.

Linebacker Justin March: All 210 snaps came on special teams. Spent final three games on injured reserve.

Center Joe Looney: Vibrant, experienced teammate able to play all three interior line positions. No lock to start over Tyler Biadasz if back in 2021.

Offensive tackle Cameron Erving: Season began and ended with MCL sprains. Brandon Knight and Terence Steele offer younger depth.

Tight end Blake Bell: Stepped up as No. 2 option behind Dalton Schultz after Blake Jarwin’s ACL tear. Sean McKeon factors into future mix.

Wide receiver Noah Brown: Finally healthy before a back injury in season finale. Team could do much worse for a No. 5 wide receiver.

Long snapper L.P. Ladouceur: Is he still the guy, or does special teams coordinator John Fassel push for a younger option (i.e. Jake McQuaide)?

Defensive tackle Eli Ankou: The Cowboys didn’t trade a 2022 seventh-round draft pick to let him walk after seven games. He’ll be back.

Defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford: Locker-room leader gave team what he had. He’s 31 but body is older. Like Lee, must decide NFL future.

Restricted free agents (4)

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson: Stellar option as No. 4 receiver who contributes on special teams. Obvious candidate to be tendered, if not extended.

Nose tackle Antwaun Woods: Upgraded run defense once Dontari Poe cut midseason. Started final six games before ankle sprain.

Wide receiver Malik Turner: Special teamer joined Cowboys after training camp. Inactive in 10 of 16 games.

Offensive tackle Greg Senat: Sparingly used after being signed in October off the Cleveland Browns’ practice squad.

Exclusive-rights free agent (1)

Defensive end Ron’Dell Carter: His return is entirely a procedural move. Can make summer push for roster spot, place in rotation.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm interested in keeping about 6 of the 17 UFAs. The rest can go.

Awuzie, Lewis, Aldon Smith, Erving, Bell, L. P.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep and of those six I'd only resign them probably on cheaper deals. I can't imagine Awuzie or Lewis is going to command much more than Brown did.

Aldon Smith I'm cool with as a rotational guy on the cheap. Bell is a nice blocker and backup. Ervin is sort of the same at OT. And obviously bring back L.P. If any NFL teams wants to offer these guys 10 mil or something crazy I'd waive good bye without hesitation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Agreed although I'd put Looney on there too and I'd prioritize him over Erving since I'm more confident in Knight as a swing OT than anybody else behind Biadasz as a backup center, plus we have Martin as additional insurance at OT.

I'd re-sign either Awuzie or Lewis, whichever is cheaper, and it shouldn't be more than 3-4 per year. Aldon can come back too for maybe about 5/year, if he wants more, bye.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Our clip is 35% retention. But money is going to trump everything with the cap at $175M or whatever.

Genghis Khan

Agreed although I'd put Looney on there too and I'd prioritize him over Erving since I'm more confident in Knight as a swing OT than anybody else behind Biadasz as a backup center, plus we have Martin as additional insurance at OT.

I'd re-sign either Awuzie or Lewis, whichever is cheaper, and it shouldn't be more than 3-4 per year. Aldon can come back too for maybe about 5/year, if he wants more, bye.
I thought about Looney and I'm open to it as long as he's the clear backup on backup money.

With Erving, I'd want to keep him around because a.) I thought he played the best out of him, Steele and Knight, but especially because b.) with Tyron's injury history I want an extra swing tackle (even with Martin being an additional possibility at OT), so I'd keep both Knight and Erving.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I thought about Looney and I'm open to it as long as he's the clear backup on backup money.

With Erving, I'd want to keep him around because a.) I thought he played the best out of him, Steele and Knight, but especially because b.) with Tyron's injury history I want an extra swing tackle (even with Martin being an additional possibility at OT), so I'd keep both Knight and Erving.
I'd bring back Erving too presuming he'd take another 1 year deal like we just gave him, I'd just prioritize Looney since we have more options at OT.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Our clip is 35% retention. But money is going to trump everything with the cap at $175M or whatever.
What exactly is the cap story for this next season? Any capheads here with the numbers?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Man, it just seems like these threads are coming earlier this year. I know they aren't but jesus.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We thought we were bargain shopping for Darius Thompson. Just wait.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
What exactly is the cap story for this next season? Any capheads here with the numbers?
Cant remember where it was, but I did read yesterday that the NFL is thinking the number is maybe going to be $195M.

Genghis Khan

Even if the cap drops a lot this year, many teams will be in the same boat so maybe FA prices will go down. We might see a lot of 1 year deals this off-season across the league.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Even if the cap drops a lot this year, many teams will be in the same boat so maybe FA prices will go down. We might see a lot of 1 year deals this off-season across the league.
That will almost certainly be the case. What I am curious to see is how this plays out with the Franchise Tag, considering its a rate fixed to the top 5 positional salaries. Not necessarily reflective of what the cap situation is going to be for this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We thought we were bargain shopping for Darius Thompson. Just wait.
I am still amazed at how crucial of a talent he was on this 2020 team.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Until Ladouceur stops being perfect I am good with paying him a reasonable long-snapper salary. I'd bring back Woods, Woods, Looney, Lewis, and Aldon Smith dependent on the deals. I definitely wouldn't let any of them from bringing in competition.

Looney is a good backup and has been a solid team player. The Woods' have been at least solid, Lewis is the best tackler of our corners, and I'd like to see what Aldon Smith can do with a full offseason.

Top Bottom