2021 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope the new town has a Raising Canes.
Can't blame the kid. His stock has tanked and the only hope he has of being a first round pick is to hit the refresh button and nail it somewhere else.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I still think he leaves the team regardless after this year.
Same here.

But it makes zero sense for him to leave this year unless he's just hellbent on torpedoing what's left of his draft stock. I imagine scouts would ding him in the character/mental toughness department if he ran off mid-season.

He's already a redshirt sophomore so he's draft eligible if he still chooses to go pro but I think after the season he transfers somewhere else and attempts to rebuild his draft stock. Right now I don't think a team touches him until somewhere in the late 2nd round, which isn't terrible.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Same here.

But it makes zero sense for him to leave this year unless he's just hellbent on torpedoing what's left of his draft stock. I imagine scouts would ding him in the character/mental toughness department if he ran off mid-season.

He's already a redshirt sophomore so he's draft eligible if he still chooses to go pro but I think after the season he transfers somewhere else and attempts to rebuild his draft stock. Right now I don't think a team touches him until somewhere in the late 2nd round, which isn't terrible.
If he declares without starting somewhere else I think that's overly optimistic, I'd bet he wouldn't go until the 4th at best right now

1bigfan13

Staff member
If he declares without starting somewhere else I think that's overly optimistic, I'd bet he wouldn't go until the 4th at best right now
I originally thought 3rd round but then I thought about Christian Hackenberg and Josh Rosen. Both of them had strong freshman years followed by pretty much nothing but mediocrity the rest of their college careers. That still didn't stop NFL teams from talking themselves into drafting them in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I originally thought 3rd round but then I thought about Christian Hackenberg and Josh Rosen. Both of them had strong freshman years followed by pretty much nothing but mediocrity the rest of their college careers. That still didn't stop NFL teams from talking themselves into drafting them in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
Fair point and this is a pretty weak qb class, still think teams will be scared off by him getting benched tho

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I also never thought Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weedon, EJ Manuel, or Jordan Love would go in the first so what do I know, teams without a qb are desperate for one

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here.

It's not unheard of for a talented QB prospect to transfer and explode, it's his best chance. Joe Burrow got passed over at Ohio State and went to LSU and became the first pick. I think that would be his best move. Go to another really good team and hope the change in teams and systems benefits him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
For some reason Rattler lost it. I think that he tried to be Pat Mahomes before he actually was.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Which Georgia team have you been watching the last several years?
They basically have a historically good defense this year though. Wouldn't be surprised if they have 4-5 1st rounders in this upcoming draft.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Go to another really good team and hope the change in teams and systems benefits him.
The funny thing is Oklahoma is the landing spot where QBs typically go to rebrand & rehab themselves for the draft. Baker, Kyler, Hurts all came in as transfers and excelled under Lincoln Riley. Rattler's the only QB who has struggled.

I honestly don't know where he can go that would be more advantageous than his setup at OU.

• He's playing on the most talented team in his conference
  • He's has the best offensive coach in the conference
  • OU has a stable of 4 and 5 star WRs
  • He gets to play against shaky Big 12 defenses

Unless he drops down to the Group of 5 level I just don't know where he can go that's as QB friendly as his setup at Oklahoma.

I think he does transfer somewhere else, but I just don't see him performing better elsewhere.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They basically have a historically good defense this year though. Wouldn't be surprised if they have 4-5 1st rounders in this upcoming draft.
Well they have failed enough that its going to be one of those I believe it when I seem it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The funny thing is Oklahoma is the landing spot where QBs typically go to rebrand & rehab themselves for the draft. Baker, Kyler, Hurts all came in as transfers and excelled under Lincoln Riley. Rattler's the only QB who has struggled.

I honestly don't know where he can go that would be more advantageous than his setup at OU.

• He's playing on the most talented team in his conference
  • He's has the best offensive coach in the conference
  • OU has a stable of 4 and 5 star WRs
  • He gets to play against shaky Big 12 defenses

Unless he drops down to the Group of 5 level I just don't know where he can go that's as QB friendly as his setup at Oklahoma.

I think he does transfer somewhere else, but I just don't see him performing better elsewhere.
We all know how this goes. Rattler transfers to Tech and bombs. Morton transfers from Tech to OU and wins the heisman on his way to becoming a 1st rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom