2021 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dear Lord, let them take Matt Campbell. I cannot have Iowa State winning FB games on a regular basis.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I knew Helton was on the hot seat after that loss to Stanford but I didn't think they'd pull the trigger so soon.
He should've been fired years ago, and certainly within moments of when Urban Meyer said he wanted that job.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He seems like he’d be a great candidate. For some reason he gets passed over for HC jobs. USC might be a place that takes some doing to get it going. They come across as a country club type of school like UT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meyer is 100% out if they go like 5-12, his ego can't handle this type of struggle.
Yeah this situation is already looking bad. I like Meyer and think he is an exceptional college coach but I don't think he has the life devoting energy it takes to be great in the NFL. I think he wants to have his family life and life away from football and that doesn't work in the NFL where talent is evenly dispersed and the difference in many games is purely coaching. So the coach staying late, getting up early, and spending every waking minute trying to win games is going to do better.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
He seems like he’d be a great candidate. For some reason he gets passed over for HC jobs. USC might be a place that takes some doing to get it going. They come across as a country club type of school like UT.
USC is very much a country club. It and UT are nearly identical in that respect. Few programs can do less with more than those two.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Meyer is 100% out if they go like 5-12, his ego can't handle this type of struggle.
I think that’s what USC is banking on. Of course, had they not buried their head in the sand, they could’ve had him after the 2019 season.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think he wants to have his family life and life away from football and that doesn't work in the NFL where talent is evenly dispersed and the difference in many games is purely coaching. So the coach staying late, getting up early, and spending every waking minute trying to win games is going to do better.
He claimed (and I've heard other coaches say it too) that the pros should be easier because you don't have to recruit 24/7/365. But I just don't know if he can handle not having better players than the other team every week. Just like with Saban.

Big difference with Saban though is Meyer has a QB. But he still might not be able to stand all the losing he's going to get the next couple of years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He claimed (and I've heard other coaches say it too) that the pros should be easier because you don't have to recruit 24/7/365. But I just don't know if he can handle not having better players than the other team every week. Just like with Saban.

Big difference with Saban though is Meyer has a QB. But he still might not be able to stand all the losing he's going to get the next couple of years.
Yeah I just think game planning is a way bigger deal in the NFL. College football he could just roll his system out there most weeks and destroy people. He didn't really need to adjust for specific teams. In the NFL the talent levels are just so close that it takes way more film study and research.

ZeroClub

UFA

Having the QB is a huge difference, for sure.

I assume Meyer knew exactly what he was getting into. He'd have to be naive to think he'd win overnight in Jacksonville. I don't think he's that guy.

If he jumps to USC, it'll be because he went to Jacksonville fully prepared to make a quick exit.

IMO, it is difficult to overestimate the Machiavellianism of the big time college coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom