boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If college football season doesn’t happen, NFL likely will play on Saturdays
Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2020, 5:15 PM EDT

Bad news: There may be no college football on Saturdays this year.

Good news: There may be NFL football on Saturdays this year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL likely will move games from Sundays to Saturday, if college football doesn’t proceed this season. It’s unclear whether the games would be broadcast, streamed, or distributed on a pay-per-view basis, but the league likely would backfill the vacant Saturday windows with NFL content.

The easiest approach would be to treat each Saturday like the late-season tripleheader the league staged in 2019, with a game at 1:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. ET. That would trim the Sunday slate by three games each week.

There’s another wrinkle that would have to be addressed, quickly. The league would need a one-year dispensation from the broadcast antitrust exemption, which allows the NFL to sell TV rights in a league-wide bundle but prevents the NFL from televising games on Friday or Saturday from Labor Day through early December.

Regardless, with college football teetering on the brink and the NFL confident that its games will be played, 2020 could result in four days of pro football every week: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Why would it piss you off?
Because if you're gonna skip the season for health reasons, I better not see you in night clubs or going on transatlantic flights to third world shitholes. It's like catching a guy on a golf course when he's on the DL.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
I respect him for his accomplishments. But he was still a bitch. As far as "defamation", he has added to it in his own special way.
He didn’t mentor anyone under his considerable career time here. And there have been quite a few pass through those halls . Personally, he comes across as a bit selfish, and I think some current and former Cowboys agree

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He didn’t mentor anyone under his considerable career time here. And there have been quite a few pass through those halls . Personally, he comes across as a bit selfish, and I think some current and former Cowboys agree
And I don't care even a little. He could have been the greatest mentor in the world and I sincerely doubt it would have made a difference to guys like Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar.

I appreciate and respect what he did on the field. The rest? BFD.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Former Cowboys TE Martellus Bennett: 'I hated Jason Witten'

K.D. Drummond

August 3, 2016 11:09 am ET

The Cowboys have never quite been able to work out their two tight end package. Since Jason Witten was drafted and originally paired with Dan Campbell under Bill Parcells, the team has tried and tried to work dual tight ends into its offense to no avail. The Cowboys drafted tight ends with three separate second-round picks, and all fell by the wayside, including the first three years of the career of Gavin Escobar. The most enigmatic of all of these picks? Martellus Bennett.

After the Cowboys moved on from Anthony Fasano, Dallas selected Bennett in the 2008 draft. He would start just 31 games in his four seasons with the Cowboys, hauling in 85 receptions. Most observers thought being an understudy to Witten would be a magical elixir for someone with Bennett’s physical gifts. His take on the relationship?

“I hated Jason Witten. I appreciated his game, but I always hated him.” – ESPN
There probably isn’t a recent Cowboys player who has more of a clean-cut, All-American image than Witten. His public perception is crafted as a no-nonsense, lunch-pail type of hard worker and that’s supported by his amazing ability to stay healthy and maintain his perch among the game’s greatest tight ends, year in, year out. He’s a likely Hall-of-Fame player whenever he decides to hang up his cleats.

Witten is also one of quarterback Tony Romo’s best friends and that relationship has caused it’s fair share of mumbled under-their-breath comments from other receivers who would like to see their share of Romo’s targets increased over the years.

For Bennett, Witten’s high-frequency use meant he was relegated to being a lesser option, asked to block instead of something he felt he was born to do, run routes. Bennett allowed that frustration to affect his effort, and that was a constant problem for the Dallas coaching staff, who never seemed to relent and allowed Bennett to waste away in Dallas.

If Bennett was the only player who didn’t perform well as Witten’s understudy, it could be attributed to the individual player. However three second-round busts, while the two who’ve left the organization were able to find success elsewhere seems to indict the system as well.

Now, Bennett is going to line up opposite Rob Gronkowski as the Patriots attempt to duplicate their offense from a few years ago that featured Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

Bennett has thrived since leaving Dallas as the primary tight end for the Giants and the Bears, though neither organization seemed sad to see him leave. Now though, the Cowboys will likely have to watch Bennett in a two-tight end offense Dallas thought they could have had, and are still chasing year after year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Former Cowboys TE Martellus Bennett: 'I hated Jason Witten'

K.D. Drummond

August 3, 2016 11:09 am ET

The Cowboys have never quite been able to work out their two tight end package. Since Jason Witten was drafted and originally paired with Dan Campbell under Bill Parcells, the team has tried and tried to work dual tight ends into its offense to no avail. The Cowboys drafted tight ends with three separate second-round picks, and all fell by the wayside, including the first three years of the career of Gavin Escobar. The most enigmatic of all of these picks? Martellus Bennett.

After the Cowboys moved on from Anthony Fasano, Dallas selected Bennett in the 2008 draft. He would start just 31 games in his four seasons with the Cowboys, hauling in 85 receptions. Most observers thought being an understudy to Witten would be a magical elixir for someone with Bennett’s physical gifts. His take on the relationship?

There probably isn’t a recent Cowboys player who has more of a clean-cut, All-American image than Witten. His public perception is crafted as a no-nonsense, lunch-pail type of hard worker and that’s supported by his amazing ability to stay healthy and maintain his perch among the game’s greatest tight ends, year in, year out. He’s a likely Hall-of-Fame player whenever he decides to hang up his cleats.

Witten is also one of quarterback Tony Romo’s best friends and that relationship has caused it’s fair share of mumbled under-their-breath comments from other receivers who would like to see their share of Romo’s targets increased over the years.

For Bennett, Witten’s high-frequency use meant he was relegated to being a lesser option, asked to block instead of something he felt he was born to do, run routes. Bennett allowed that frustration to affect his effort, and that was a constant problem for the Dallas coaching staff, who never seemed to relent and allowed Bennett to waste away in Dallas.

If Bennett was the only player who didn’t perform well as Witten’s understudy, it could be attributed to the individual player. However three second-round busts, while the two who’ve left the organization were able to find success elsewhere seems to indict the system as well.

Now, Bennett is going to line up opposite Rob Gronkowski as the Patriots attempt to duplicate their offense from a few years ago that featured Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

Bennett has thrived since leaving Dallas as the primary tight end for the Giants and the Bears, though neither organization seemed sad to see him leave. Now though, the Cowboys will likely have to watch Bennett in a two-tight end offense Dallas thought they could have had, and are still chasing year after year.
Both Bennett bros are race baiting piece of shits that I'm ashamed went to my alma mater

data

Forbes #1
Ppl are so picky.

I’m guessing they’ll say that Irvin, on the other hand, was too overbearing as a mentor for Cory Fleming, Clayton Holmes, Leon Lett and other camp fodder.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ppl are so picky.

I’m guessing they’ll say that Irvin, on the other hand, was too overbearing as a mentor for Cory Fleming, Clayton Holmes, Leon Lett and other camp fodder.
A big part of peoples hate now is how he came back supposedly ok with a reduced role and we saw him refuse to come off the field. Tbf a big part of that blame should lay at Garretts feet but it is what it is

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
A big part of peoples hate now is how he came back supposedly ok with a reduced role and we saw him refuse to come off the field. Tbf a big part of that blame should lay at Garretts feet but it is what it is
I think that as you said, Garrett was a HUGE part of that. And it's no coincidence that once Garrett left, so did Witten. After losing his sponsor, he went elsewhere, and now talks about being the mentor that he's never been. I don't see how one more mediocre year somewhere else is worth the damage to his legacy in Dallas, but it's his life.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I remember this circumstance. I didn’t like Bennett when he was picked. He never had a decent year at Aggieland and he really never showed his talents as a Cowboy. I will give him this, he played for several teams and I don’t know if this is a compliment to him or a commentary of the teams poor judgement.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't see how one more mediocre year somewhere else is worth the damage to his legacy in Dallas, but it's his life.

Emmitt played in Arizona and people barely remember or care. Dorsett played in Denver and people barely remember or care. I doubt Witten will damage his legacy at all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Emmitt played in Arizona and people barely remember or care. Dorsett played in Denver and people barely remember or care. I doubt Witten will damage his legacy at all.
Yeah Witten will always be remembered as a Cowboy. One forgettable year in Vegas won't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom