2020 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You could see in the 2006 game -- didn't realize at first that was Romo's first start -- but Parcells just looked really old and beaten down. Michaels and Madden even talked a lot about how Bill wasn't the old fiery Bill they'd always known, how he seemed subdued and frustrated, almost despondent.

Of course he perked up a lot once Romo took over and they started winning, but the point is, I think Bill was just done. His personality was so high strung and stressed out, it just wore him out and aged him. Don't think it was Jerry or Romo or anyone else.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
His personality was so high strung and stressed out, it just wore him out and aged him.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we improved dramatically in 2007 under affable Wade. Tuna's hardass persona had grown stale.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think it's a coincidence that we improved dramatically in 2007 under affable Wade. Tuna's hardass persona had grown stale.
That was part of it although a full year of Romo and a defensive scheme that wasn't completely preposterous and stuck in 1985 being run by a 4-3 coordinator was part of it too.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I don't think Parcells wanted to coach. I understood it just be a money grab for him for his divorce.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
True, but I meant more the effect on him than on the team. I remember seeing him interviewed years later and he actually looked younger than he did five years or whatever earlier in 2006. He was just so stressed, probably barely slept, ate poorly, etc.

I don't think Parcells wanted to coach. I understood it just be a money grab for him for his divorce.
I remember hearing a radio host float that idea to Gary Myers a couple of years after Parcells left, and he didn't deny it. Which made me think there was a lot to it.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
You could see in the 2006 game -- didn't realize at first that was Romo's first start -- but Parcells just looked really old and beaten down. Michaels and Madden even talked a lot about how Bill wasn't the old fiery Bill they'd always known, how he seemed subdued and frustrated, almost despondent.

Of course he perked up a lot once Romo took over and they started winning, but the point is, I think Bill was just done. His personality was so high strung and stressed out, it just wore him out and aged him. Don't think it was Jerry or Romo or anyone else.
I read the most recent book on him that came out a few years ago, and him being wore out, and his personality wearing himself out was a big part of it, I would bet.

For some of us, Parcells was the first bit of sunlight that we had seen for this franchise. That 10-6 year, I still remember like it was yesterday. Starting off 5-2 I believe it was, that was the coolest crap I had seen yet as a Cowboys fan.

Funny how much things change, they also stay the exact same.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

I'll say... I was at the game in Charlotte (Romo's first win), when Bill kissed Tony after the game. :lol

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'll say... I was at the game in Charlotte (Romo's first win), when Bill kissed Tony after the game. :lol
He even kissed Keith Davis! Michaels got a huge kick out of that.

Speaking of, Al was so much better then. He's pretty much mailed it in the last couple of years. I'm sure those huge checks are hard to turn down.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He even kissed Keith Davis! Michaels got a huge kick out of that.

Speaking of, Al was so much better then. He's pretty much mailed it in the last couple of years. I'm sure those huge checks are hard to turn down.
Madden carried Michaels.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
My brother was at that game, too...I think he was sitting at the very last row.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The contract they signed him to is basically 2 years/34 million, if they want to get out of it after two years he'll just count 6 million against the cap, while saving 16 million, so is it really that big a deal?

He's a bit inconsistent, and I suspect a bit soft when it comes to playing in inclement weather, but he's still a top 10 WR who has come through in some big moments.

People have recency bias and just want to remember the last thing they saw, which was the abortion of a game in Philly, which was just an encapsulation of the abortion of a season as a whole. The team was a complete mess so it's hard for me to single out Cooper, we'll see what happens the next year or two under a real staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom