2020 Draft Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fuck that. How about just putting it back on Saturday and Sunday, permanently drop all the dog and pony show bullshit, then leave it alone?
Sill going to need to make this a big prime time TV event to make money

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be perfectly fine with Baun at 17, presuming that Chaisson/McKinney will also be on the board I'd love to see us move down and grab one of those three or even Winfield/Delpit.

Basically, if Kinlaw or one of the top WR's aren't there at 17 I think we should be looking hard at moving down.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I mean it's one guys opinion... Doesn't make it good value.

Plus to me the only way it makes sense is if you're running a 3-4 or blitzing him a ton.
Weren't those same things said about Watt when we instead took Taco? People still whine about not taking him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weren't those same things said about Watt when we instead took Taco? People still whine about not taking him.
Totally different players though with way different builds. I absolutely think Watt could play RE.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At the time I suggested using Watt as a strongside LB in base and an edge rusher/blitzer in nickel/dime to give him time to grow into being a full-time DE by year 2 or 3. He wasn't "my guy" by any means but I would've been fine with the pick if we had that sort of plan in place for him.

Baun is even smaller than Watt but I think he'd play a similar role, although I don't think he'd ever fully transition to a traditional hand-down DE. It doesn't really matter though given that it seems we're going to be running a multiple defense and there are plenty of guys who kind of toggle between an off-ball LB in base and an edge rusher/blitzer in nickel/dime.

Irvin did it in Seattle for a while and Barr kind of does it now in Minnesota. I don't see any reason why Baun couldn't do something similar here where his value would be providing juice to our edge rush in clear passing situations while having the athleticism to play off-ball in more neutral downs.

The "value" at 17 wouldn't be great as I think we could trade down 5-10 spots and still get him, or a Chaisson, McKinney, etc., but I'd be perfectly fine with the pick. Kind of like how Frederick wasn't "value" at 31 because it was about a half round early, but ultimately I really liked the player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There are a lot of similarities.

But let's be clear, Watt was far more polished as a pass rusher.

And if we turn around and try to right a wrong, that's bad.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And if we turn around and try to right a wrong, that's bad.
And if you follow Mosher a lot of his argument is "we don't want to to miss out on the next TJ" which isn't bad taken at face value, but this just seems like arguing your pet cat into being worth more than they really are

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if you follow Mosher a lot of his argument is "we don't want to to miss out on the next TJ" which isn't bad taken at face value, but this just seems like arguing your pet cat into being worth more than they really are
I really like the guy but in all honesty Watt was a better prospect. And he went at the end of the first. No need to artificially bump a dude up because he played pass rushing LBer at the same school as Watt.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I really like the guy but in all honesty Watt was a better prospect. And he went at the end of the first. No need to artificially bump a dude up because he played pass rushing LBer at the same school as Watt.
I think a lot of this is everybody having more time at home so they watch more tape of their pet cats and artificially inflate their value

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can't just say Watt was a better prospect so taking him higher than 28 or whatever is bad value. Watt would go top 5 in a redraft, he was underrated by everyone and if you truly think a guy is a "poor man's Watt" that warrants a pick in the 20-25ish range.

The more I think about it the more I want to trade down 5-10 slots if Kinlaw and the top WRs are gone.

Move down to 25ish and grab McKinney, Chaisson, Baun, Delpit, Justin Jefferson or Winfield.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Different perspectives: Two complete 7-round Cowboys mock drafts
By Jon Machota and Saad Yousuf 1h ago

Early last month, Jon Machota and Saad Yousuf each logged into TheDraftNetwork.com’s mock draft simulator to see what the Dallas Cowboys could potentially end up with after seven rounds of this year’s NFL Draft. Since then, the Cowboys have lost several starters to free agency and retirement. They’ve gained a few as well.

The draft continues to be scheduled to start on April 23. Factoring in the roster changes and adding a fifth-round compensatory pick for the loss of Cole Beasley, Machota and Yousuf have returned to the simulator to see how the Cowboys can potentially fill out their roster later this month.

Here we go: Round 2 of two complete seven-round Cowboys mock drafts.

JON’S PICKS

First round, No. 17 overall: C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida

The Cowboys address one of their biggest offseason needs by taking the second-best cornerback on their draft board. Ohio State’s Jeffrey Okudah is the consensus No. 1 corner in this class, but he was selected within the first five picks. Henderson was the choice over Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy, Iowa edge rusher A.J. Epenesa, Alabama safety Xavier McKinney and LSU safety Grant Delpit. LSU edge rusher K’Lavon Chaisson went one pick in front of the Cowboys to Atlanta. It’s possible that Dallas could be picking between Henderson and Chaisson when they’re on the clock. (More on that later!) Those two positions are among the top five the Cowboys still need to address this offseason. Byron Jones, Dallas’ top corner, became the highest-paid player at his position last month when he signed with the Dolphins. The Cowboys signed Anthony Brown to a new three-year deal and added former Ravens and Jets corner Maurice Canady on a one-year deal. They also brought back one of their top special teams contributors, C.J. Goodwin, on a one-year contract.

None of those moves replace what they had in Jones. Add that Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis only have one year left on their current deals, and corner is absolutely a top priority. Henderson would give the group a talented, long defensive back who could come in and start immediately on the outside and make the depth chart look pretty solid at the position. Either way, the defense needs to be upgraded with this pick.

Second round, No. 51 overall: Curtis Weaver, Edge, Boise State

Weaver is unlikely to have the same immediate impact that a player like Chaisson might, but that’s why he’s still on the board at 51. The elite edge rushing prospects are usually long gone by this point. Weaver provides the Cowboys with a highly productive player out of their favorite school to draft from. He doesn’t have the athletic traits of a pass rusher like Randy Gregory, but he got the job done with 34 sacks in three seasons with the Broncos. This pick just made sense considering the other top players available. Other players still on the board at this time: Lenoir-Rhyne safety Kyle Dugger and Notre Dame tight end Cole Kmet. Clemson cornerback A.J. Terrell was selected one pick before the Cowboys went on the clock. Alabama corner Trevon Diggs fell all the way to the Falcons at Pick 47. Delpit went at Pick 42.

If the Cowboys don’t add a pass-rusher with one of their first two picks, it’s unlikely that position will receive much of an upgrade for the 2020 season. It’s one of the toughest positions to find, and top prospects usually go quickly. As of right now, Chaisson being there at 17 sounds like the best scenario of the realistic possibilities for the Cowboys to improve their pass rush.

Third round, No. 82 overall: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

There are plenty of other needs to address, but the value here was too good to pass up. You never really can have too many good corners in today’s game. Hall (6-1, 202) led the nation with 21 pass breakups in 2018. I’m not saying this will happen, but perhaps if this scenario presented itself, the Cowboys could look into the idea of having Awuzie get some safety reps. He played both safety spots in college in addition to cornerback. In this scenario, the Cowboys would still have Lewis, Brown, Henderson and Hall as four quality corners, which is what teams need with how much nickel and dime defense is played today.

The other top players available at this pick were Missouri defensive tackle Jordan Elliott, Notre Dame cornerback Troy Pride Jr. and Notre Dame wide receiver Chase Claypool. There were several talented wide receiver options still available, so I thought there would still be some excellent value at that position in the fourth and fifth rounds.

Fourth round, No. 123 overall: Lynn Bowden, WR, Kentucky

Utah defensive tackle Leki Fotu went off the board one pick before the Cowboys picked. He would have been the selection had he fallen one more spot. Needing to replace Randall Cobb, what better way to do that than with a former Kentucky quarterback? Bowden has the ability to do a lot of the things Cobb did in Dallas’ offense last year playing slot receiver, but he could also be used in the running game. Receiver was the best play here considering what was available.

Texas wide receivers Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay were both still on the board. Already having Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup puts the Cowboys in a good spot at the position. Second-year running back Tony Pollard can be used at wide receiver some, if needed. Considering how deep this draft is at the position, they should be able to add a player at some point who can contribute immediately. The next five picks after Bowden: Charlotte edge rusher Alex Highsmith, Florida International quarterback James Morgan, Wisconsin interior offensive lineman Tyler Biadasz, Michigan interior offensive lineman Ben Bredeson and Miami corner Trajan Bandy.

Fifth round, No. 164 overall: Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic

Jason Witten is now with the Raiders, and it’s Blake Jarwin’s time to lead the team at tight end. Dallas also recently signed former Chiefs TE Blake Bell. But neither player should prevent the Cowboys from looking at a quality tight end prospect at this point in this draft. Bryant (6-5, 243) caught 65 passes last season for 1,004 yards and seven touchdowns. This seemed like great value for this spot. The next five picks after Bryant: Alabama linebacker Anfernee Jennings, Vanderbilt running back Ke’Shawn Vaughn, Tulsa edge rusher Trevis Gipson, Clemson safety Tanner Muse and Miami linebacker Shaquille Quarterman.

Fifth round, No. 179 overall: Jonathan Garvin, Edge, Miami

This is the only player that I picked in both mock drafts, both times in the fifth round. Over the last two years, Garvin has come up with 10.5 sacks and 26 tackles for loss. He has good size (6-4, 263) and quality athletic traits that make some believe he could end up developing into a good NFL pass rusher. The Cowboys have beefed up the middle of their defensive line by signing veteran tackles Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe, but they haven’t added any pass rush from the outside after losing Robert Quinn to the Bears in free agency. The edge rushers currently on Dallas’ roster are DeMarcus Lawrence, Dorance Armstrong and Joe Jackson. They could certainly afford to draft two in this class. The next five picks after Garvin: Nebraska defensive tackle Khalil Davis, South Carolina edge rusher D.J. Wonnum, Wake Forest offensive tackle Justin Herron, Washington cornerback Myles Bryant and Alabama safety Shyheim Carter.

Seventh round, No. 231 overall: James Proche, WR, SMU

At this point, it was just all about the best player available, and I didn’t see anyone close to Proche. The 5-11, 200-pound wide receiver put up huge numbers (204 receptions, 2,424 yards, 27 TDs) over the last two seasons with the Mustangs. I would have preferred to find a safety or an interior offensive lineman — or maybe a linebacker for depth and special teams purposes — but the value wasn’t there.

Looking through all seven picks, I think the Cowboys would be pleased with these results. However, it seems unlikely that they will make all seven selections and not draft a safety at some point. The next five picks after Proche: Oklahoma State cornerback A.J Green, Michigan State quarterback Brian Lewerke, North Carolina safety Myles Dorn, San Diego State interior offensive lineman Keith Ismael and Washington State wide receiver Dezmon Patmon.

SAAD’S PICKS

First round, No. 17 overall: K’Lavon Chaisson, Edge, LSU

The importance of this pick for the Cowboys can’t be understated. The Cowboys front office has ridden the coattails of the 2016 draft to a favorable draft perception, but reality is that their subsequent three top picks — Taco Charlton, Leighton Vander Esch and Trysten Hill — have either already been declared busts, seem headed in that direction or have a foggy future due to injury concerns. Ironically, it’s the 2016 draft that also magnifies this one. Because of significant money tied into three draft selections (Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith and Dak Prescott) along with the departure of a starting-caliber talent (Maliek Collins), the Cowboys are in dire need of cheap, young talent to pan out as they remain entrenched in win-now mode.

Chaisson should be the answer there. He’s a talented player who also happens to fill in at a position of need following the departure of Robert Quinn in free agency. In our previous mock three weeks ago, I selected South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw here. This time, I didn’t have that option because the 49ers took him at No. 13 in the simulator. To be honest, him not being available hurts substantially less given the signings of Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe to help bolster in the interior. Florida’s C.J. Henderson is a player I would think about at No. 17, but he went off the board at No. 9 to Jacksonville in my mock, so he was also not a consideration.

My options at No. 17 included Chaisson, TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney, Alabama safety Xavier McKinney and perhaps the shiniest one, Alabama wide receiver Jerry Jeudy. So, why Chaisson out of that bunch? I believe there is one can’t-miss defensive back in this draft, and Ohio State’s Jeffrey Okudah won’t slip past the top five. Gladney and McKinney will probably be solid players, but either of their presence in the Cowboys secondary will do little to turn that weak unit into a strength.

Chaisson is potentially the final piece to fortifying an entire unit. If the defensive line rolls out some rotation featuring DeMarcus Lawrence, McCoy, Poe, Antwan Woods, Tyrone Crawford, Chaisson and even perhaps Randy Gregory, I’m feeling pretty good about that group. Add that to what the Cowboys believe to be a complete linebacking corps, and at least two of the three layers on defense are in decent shape. They may carry a heavier burden, getting to the quarterback quickly to mask the secondary’s deficiencies, but that beats having holes in multiple layers of the defense that the opposing offense can game plan towards.

Jeudy was the only player who rivaled Chaisson’s BPA (best player available) status, and though it was hard to pass on him, this draft is simply too deep at wide receiver. The gap between the Cowboys’ need at pass rush and their need for a receiver is too large to pass on Chaisson. His size, skill and athleticism make him an instant impact player that will feed off the attention paid to Lawrence on the other side.

Second round, No. 51 overall: Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

With second-round considerations Trevon Diggs, Grant Delpit and Antoine Winfield Jr. flying off the board early in the round, Damon Arnette was a relatively easy choice here. Safety Kyle Dugger was available, but Dallas added Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in free agency to pair with Xavier Woods, and I still have some semblance of hope for Donovan Wilson to pan out. Adding a cornerback seems like the logical way to go. Bringing back Anthony Brown to go with incumbents Jourdan Lewis and Chido Awuzie is fine, but losing Byron Jones leaves a hole none of those three can fill.

Arnette can play inside or out and wore a target on his back last season because nobody wanted to throw at the top-five talent in Okudah on the other side. He held his own, allowing a 45.1 percent completion percentage and becoming a big reason the Ohio State defensive unit flourished in 2019. He doesn’t force many turnovers but, hey, neither did Jones. The Cowboys would still have loved to keep him if the price wasn’t so high.

Third round, No. 82 overall: Darrell Taylor, Edge, Tennessee

The defensive line always needs depth, and with Gregory not dependable, first-round pick Chaisson is the lone pass-rushing threat opposite Lawrence. Darrell Taylor has a good motor and all of the tangibles it takes to succeed in the NFL. His deficiencies are all things that can be taught and new defensive line coach Jim Tomsula is one of the best in the business. Taylor may initially fit in as a situational pass rusher more than a full-time defensive end that can play the run and pass, but that should be something the Cowboys are able to work with in an increasingly passing league. He’s gotten better each season and finished his career at Tennessee with eight sacks in 2018 and then 8.5 sacks last season. He’s a solid depth piece at his floor, and the arrow is pointing up.

Fourth round, No. 123 overall: Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas

This is about the spot I’d be looking to draft that third wide receiver to fill the void of Randall Cobb. It pained me greatly that Michael Pittman Jr. went off to Washington at No. 66, and there was certainly an audible grunt when I saw Ohio State’s K.J. Hill selected just eight picks prior to this at 115, but the Cowboys could do much worse than this Longhorn.

The only two players to catch more passes than Duvernay in 2019 were LSU’s Justin Jefferson and SMU’s James Proche. Granted, Duvernay played in the Big 12, but he shared time with another capable receiver in Collin Johnson. He still found a way to get his own. Duvernay and the Cowboys are also a great fit because many of his weaknesses are strengths of Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, so he won’t be exposed. There’s also a good chance that he’s the fifth threat on offense after Cooper, Gallup, Blake Jarwin and Ezekiel Elliott (Tony Pollard would be in the mix, too), but that just means there won’t be much pressure on Duvernay, which should allow him to thrive in his role.

Fifth round, No. 164 overall: Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska

We’re entering the territory of taking chance on prospects with potential, and that’s exactly what Lamar Jackson is. He also brings something to the table that the Cowboys don’t have on their roster aside from the unproven Canady: a large (6’2, 208 pounds) cornerback. Jackson’s man-to-man game needs work, but he can be a good zone cornerback when the Cowboys need him to be and has the physical tools to be a problem for opposing wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. Mike McCarthy has said that he won’t try to mold every player into his scheme, rather using players’ strengths to bolster his unit. With his size, Jackson could give McCarthy and Mike Nolan some options that the current depth chart cannot.

Fifth round, No. 179 overall: Utah, S, Julian Blackmon

If the Cowboys can add Blackmon at this point in the draft, it’s a no-brainer. He’s a true value pick at 179 because his skill set is so versatile. His 2019 season was the first in which he starred at safety, and he was instantly a hit, gaining first-team All-Pac-12 honors with 60 tackles, four pass breakups, a couple of forced fumbles and a team-high four interceptions. Before his senior season, Blackmon was a cornerback and though he wasn’t as good, he wasn’t a throwaway at that position, either. This is where you pick players like Blackmon, and the Cowboys are no stranger to that. In 2016, they selected Anthony Brown out of Purdue, who had played outside corner but flashed ability to play inside. Due to an injury to Orlando Scandrick that season, Brown made the switch inside and played well enough to make Scandrick expendable.

A late-season knee injury is part of the reason Blackmon would fall here, but he was a playmaker in college, something the Cowboys have lacked in their secondary for years. He can also serve as a safety net across the board in the secondary and is well-worth the selection here.

Seventh round, No. 231 overall: Austin Mack, WR, Ohio State

To be quite honest, nobody on the board here really caught my attention. Mack comes from a winning program and has some physical tools to work with. He might be somebody the Cowboys can use in training camp to give other receivers a breather, and perhaps he finds his way on special teams and can make an impact there. If not, he’d be a fine piece to stash on the practice squad in case of a rainy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom