2020 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
McKinley wasn't a mistake, at least it's way too early to come to that conclusion. He put up 13 sacks over his first two years and then dipped down to 3.5 last year for whatever reason, could've been a matter of the team being in the shitter most of the season, or maybe just because seasons like that happen to good edge rushers sometimes.
He'd have to be a good edge rusher at some point to be considered a good edge rusher. 13 sacks in two years doesn't say that at all.

If you expect a guy drafted late in the 1st to put up 10-15 sacks 8 years in a row and be a generational edge rusher then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. A career similar to that of a Melvin Ingram is about what I'd expect out of a prospect like McKinley or Chaisson in the mid to late 1st.
You 'expect' better than 5.5 sacks a year that McKinley has, in fact brought you so far. Scrubs can get you that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can confirm what Machota is saying about the Falcons and Chaisson in these mock drafts. Time after time after time, they're drafting him one spot ahead of the Cowboys selection.
There is noise they are a team likely to trade up. If so, it is probably for either Okudah or Henderson.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
There is noise they are a team likely to trade up. If so, it is probably for either Okudah or Henderson.
Henderson would be my guess, unless they're planning on giving up a whole lot of draft ammo for Okudah. But, given the circumstances of the head coach and GM, they may make a 'go for broke' type of gamble. I've seen desperate people do desperate things when facing that type of ultimatum. Rarely does it work out well in the long term for the team.

I remember when Jerry Reese spent like crazy in New York trying to save his ass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd have to be a good edge rusher at some point to be considered a good edge rusher. 13 sacks in two years doesn't say that at all.

You 'expect' better than 5.5 sacks a year that McKinley has, in fact brought you so far. Scrubs can get you that.
If Tak McKinnley was in Dallas he would be labeled a bust right now. If you're going to average 5.5 sacks a season you sure as hell better be unbelievable against the run and making plays in other fashions. McKinnley doesn't.

If we draft Chaisson I sure as hell hope he isn't like Tak.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If Tak McKinnley was in Dallas he would be labeled a bust right now. If you're going to average 5.5 sacks a season you sure as hell better be unbelievable against the run and making plays in other fashions. McKinnley doesn't.

Agree on all counts.
:buddy

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

And yet the league is littered with Pro Bowl caliber edge rushers who had similar career arcs.

Not every top tier player puts up 12 sacks a year, especially not over the first few years of their career. Some go back and forth between 7 and 12, down to 5 randomly, back to 13 and so forth, or take a few years before they consistently play at a Pro Bowl level.

Melvin Ingram is a 3-time Pro Bowler who put up 6 sacks over his first 3 years and has gone back and forth between about 7 and 10 since then. Bud Dupree put up 20 over his first 4 years, 11.5 last year, now he's franchise tagged. Dante Fowler put up 16 his first 3 years and 11.5 last year. Everson Griffen put up 17.5 his first 4 years, since then he's a multi-time Pro Bowler. Our very own Demarcus Lawrence had only 9 in his first 3 years.

There's a number of reasons for each individual scenario but the point is that it's unrealistic to expect a mid to late 1st to be Myles Garrett, Von Miller or Nick Bosa, and there's a long history of edge rushers who have very good to excellent careers despite not putting up double digit sacks until year 4 or whatever.

Basically, you should be comfortable with a McKinley or Chaisson having a Melvin Ingram or Brandon Graham or Everson Griffen-type career arc, and it's way too early call McKinley a mistake.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

That's because most fans are over-reactionary panic monkeys.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
And yet the league is littered with Pro Bowl caliber edge rushers who had similar career arcs.

Not every top tier player puts up 12 sacks a year, especially not over the first few years of their career. Some go back and forth between 7 and 12, down to 5 randomly, back to 13 and so forth, or take a few years before they consistently play at a Pro Bowl level.
He has a career high of 7 and a low of 3.5 over that three year span. It's a four year league. If you haven;t shown it by then, teams move on. Beasley was much more productive and look at what they thought of him.

Melvin Ingram is a 3-time Pro Bowler who put up 6 sacks over his first 3 years and has gone back and forth between about 7 and 10 since then. Bud Dupree put up 20 over his first 4 years, 11.5 last year, now he's franchise tagged. Dante Fowler put up 16 his first 3 years and 11.5 last year. Everson Griffen put up 17.5 his first 4 years, since then he's a multi-time Pro Bowler.
And TJ Watt went far later in the draft and has been great from day one. So there's that.

Our very own Demarcus Lawrence had only 9 in his first 3 years.
Injury a factor there maybe?

There's a number of reasons for each individual scenario but the point is that it's unrealistic to expect a mid to late 1st to be Myles Garrett, Von Miller or Nick Bosa, and there's a long history of edge rushers who have very good to excellent careers despite not putting up double digit sacks until year 4 or whatever.
Usually not in the same place. Teams don't wait around forever.

Basically, you should be comfortable with a McKinley or Chaisson having a Melvin Ingram or Brandon Graham or Everson Griffen-type career arc, and it's way too early call McKinley a mistake.
Thanks, but I'll take my chances on that. And I won't be surprised if the Falcons do as well. Expectations are higher for a 1st round pick than 3.5 sacks, especially while your team overall struggles to find them.[/quote]

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Atlanta may take Chaisson, I'd bet they don't if either Henderson or Kinlaw are on the board, but even if they do the league is still littered with guys who are Pro Bowl caliber/borderline elite edge rushers who produced very similar numbers to McKinley over their first 3-4 years. And not just because of injury/suspension like Lawrence either, and not just guys who were mid/late-round picks, guys like Ingram, Dupree and Fowler were all 1st rounders.

He may well end up a bust, but he also might end up making 3 Pro Bowls in the next 5 years, it's certainly happened several times in recent history.

Bringing up TJ Watt as a comparison is idiotic, he'd go top 5 in a redraft and if that's what you expect from a guy taken in the 20ish range you're going to be consistently disappointed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Atlanta may take Chaisson, I'd bet they don't if either Henderson or Kinlaw are on the board, but even if they do the league is still littered with guys who are Pro Bowl caliber/borderline elite edge rushers who produced very similar numbers to McKinley over their first 3-4 years. And not just because of injury/suspension like Lawrence either, and not just guys who were mid/late-round picks, guys like Ingram, Dupree and Fowler were all 1st rounders.

He may well end up a bust, but he also might end up making 3 Pro Bowls in the next 5 years, it's certainly happened several times in recent history.

Bringing up TJ Watt as a comparison is idiotic, he'd go top 5 in a redraft and if that's what you expect from a guy taken in the 20ish range you're going to be consistently disappointed.
I doubt the Jags would take Fowler in the first if they could do it all over again either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I doubt the Jags would take Fowler in the first if they could do it all over again either.
Yea but he could easily be on the path to having a 10 year career where he ends up with 90-100 sacks at the end of it. Maybe he only played in a contract year to cash in or maybe he's going to have an Everson Griffen-like career over the next 6-8 years.

Maybe things just went sour in Jacksonville and he just needed a change of scenery, who knows?

Obviously being the 3rd overall pick is very different from 20th, you expect the 3rd overall pick to be a Von Miller/Myles Garrett/Joey Bosa so of course he's a disappointment in that regard either way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Reuter's latest 7 rounder (Cowboys picks):

Javon Kinlaw - DT

Trevon Diggs - CB

Xavier McKinney - S

Alton Robinson - Edge

Quintez Cephus - WR

Nick Harris - C

Colby Parkinson - TE

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Me too, but I don't think it's particularly realistic. I don't see anyway McKinney makes it to the 3rd.
No, I don't either. I can see him going in the first, or the early 2nd at the latest. If he made it to our pick in the 2nd, I would shit myself turning that pick in.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even if you swapped McKinney for a more likely 3rd round DB, let's say Terrell Burgess, Cameron Dantzler or Bryce Hall it'd still be an awesome draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if you swapped McKinney for a more likely 3rd round DB, let's say Terrell Burgess, Cameron Dantzler or Bryce Hall it'd still be an awesome draft.
Hell even put Mckinney in the second and a different corner in the third. Still a home run.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
John Owning's latest: (I would be very happy with this haul)

Round 1, Pick 17: K’Lavon Chaisson, DE, LSU

Round 2, Pick 51: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

Round 3, Pick 82: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

Round 4, Pick 123: Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA

Round 5, Pick 164: Saahdiq Charles, OT, LSU

Round 5, Pick 179: John Hightower, WR, Boise State

Round 7, Pick 231: Bravvion Roy, NT, Baylor

Top Bottom