2020 Cowboys Schedule Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but we may not sweep the Giants and Redskins either.
Yea and we might not lose to a low key average Rams team or the Steelers at home either. If both the Steelers and Cowboys are at full health I'd argue the Cowboys are better.

Ultimately I think if you simulated this season 10 times we'd probably average about 9.75 wins, and for a team like that the margin between 8-8 and 10-6 is relatively slim so who knows?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yea and we might not lose to a low key average Rams team or the Steelers at home either. If both the Steelers and Cowboys are at full health I'd argue the Cowboys are better.

Ultimately I think if you simulated this season 10 times we'd probably average about 9.75 wins, and for a team like that the margin between 8-8 and 10-6 is relatively slim so who knows?
Yeah, and I said "I can see 8-8" - not that I'm predicting it officially. I would hope for a little better, but either McCarthy will need to be rejuvenated top-10 coach early Green Bay McCarthy and not the stale feuding with Aaron Rodgers McCarthy he finished as, or we will need a lot of breaks.

In my mind I'm running through these games seeing the performances we got out of a Jason Garrett coached team because it's hard to visualize how the team will perform with the new coach. How much better will they be? Will they still be inconsistent at X or Y?

Seeing this schedule would not feel like a playoff schedule if we had the old team here. I would have said last year's schedule was way more favorable.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, we've made some pretty significant improvements on offense and defense. And special teams. And the coaching staff.

But we're going to get swept by the eagles and go 8-8?

Interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

data

Forbes #1
Super Bowl losers typically have struggled year after. Hope that’s the case with the 49ers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, we've made some pretty significant improvements on offense and defense. And special teams. And the coaching staff.

Interesting.
Yeah, I don't see it, either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, and I said "I can see 8-8" - not that I'm predicting it officially. I would hope for a little better, but either McCarthy will need to be rejuvenated top-10 coach early Green Bay McCarthy and not the stale feuding with Aaron Rodgers McCarthy he finished as, or we will need a lot of breaks.

In my mind I'm running through these games seeing the performances we got out of a Jason Garrett coached team because it's hard to visualize how the team will perform with the new coach. How much better will they be? Will they still be inconsistent at X or Y?

Seeing this schedule would not feel like a playoff schedule if we had the old team here. I would have said last year's schedule was way more favorable.
So this talent, with Garrett still at head coach, what would your prediction be?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Interesting.
Well you can't count on Garrett to out coach Pederson every time like you used to...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

If that's you're average win total you'd be way more likely to get 10 wins than 8 wouldn't you? I mean you're prediction already says you're more likely to win 10 games than 9. Seems like 8 wins would be even a further stretch.

Although I'll agree with you that you just never know. There are more unkowns with this team. We had a lot of talent turnover. We have a new coaching staff. And in the middle of all that we have no offseason so far to develop the talent and get them all on the same page. And the cherry on the top of the cake is all the drama going on still with Dak's contract. Something that seems to hamper us every offseason is a stupid damn contract that we wait until the last minute to get done.

I definitely love the talent and makeup of this team. I love the coaching staff. But similar to you I'm afraid of a slow start because of everything I mentioned above.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
If that's you're average win total you'd be way more likely to get 10 wins than 8 wouldn't you? I mean you're prediction already says you're more likely to win 10 games than 9. Seems like 8 wins would be even a further stretch.

Although I'll agree with you that you just never know. There are more unkowns with this team. We had a lot of talent turnover. We have a new coaching staff. And in the middle of all that we have no offseason so far to develop the talent and get them all on the same page. And the cherry on the top of the cake is all the drama going on still with Dak's contract. Something that seems to hamper us every offseason is a stupid damn contract that we wait until the last minute to get done.

I definitely love the talent and makeup of this team. I love the coaching staff. But similar to you I'm afraid of a slow start because of everything I mentioned above.

this is why im glad JJ didnt drag out the hiring process. again, i make it well known MM was not the guy i wanted, but he is making the use of the one friend he needs, TIME. he has a lot to get done and lot more still to do. At least hes doing it and thats what we want to see. Hes making use of that time, and hes installing what needs to be done. I personally feel he made great use of FA and the draft. Sadly thats only the lesser factor, what you do with the pieces is up to the staff and those pieces and the team has to be played to their strengths. Each coach is not going to be able to churn their section immediately but can make changes and alter things to get us in the right direction. So far they are doing that. Now we have to wait on Dak, than fit all the pieces while implementing new schemes and direction of the team. KM is going to have a lot on his plate.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Interesting.
I said "I could see it."

The schedule looks pretty rough to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yes, that's why I said I think there's about a 35% chance we go under 9 wins, the margin between 8 and 10 is relatively slim in any given season though based on injuries and so forth, and the coronavirus situation only further complicates that on top of a new coaching staff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, change out this years coaching staff with last years. What's your prediction, then?
I feel like I already addressed that question. Try reading.

I said "I could see it," but that "It's hard to know how improved the team will be with the new staff," and that part of the trouble is "I'm running through these games in my mind visualizing how the team responded under the old staff."

So..... to answer your question above.... 8-8.

Key point, here: Not claiming the coaching isn't better. Simply saying, hard to visualize how much better the results translate on the field at this point (not having seen a preseason or camp with this coach, not knowing how much acclimation Prescott will need given he's missing time, or how long he'll hold out, not knowing how McCarthy's schemes are adopted by the offensive personnel right away, etc). I think that opening 3 game stretch could be killer if we aren't hitting the ground running all systems go.

But then again like 2 days ago I said the McCarthy hire was just about the best one they could have made, so don't go getting your panties in a wad. Jerry sold his soul to the devil long ago - we aren't allowed to have nice things until someone breaks the curse.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Right, which is why I said, "I could see 8-8."

This schedule especially early is disfavorable to us. What might otherwise be a solid 10-6 looks like instead it might get tripped up to 8-8.

I'd love to believe that McCarthy is an easy top-10 or top-5 coach again, and that he comes in here like gangbusters and we go 13-3, but that's a bridge too far for me. Instead I am forced to temper my expectations with mild on field improvement across the board. But the way this schedule breaks mild improvement could still be a disappointing record.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I feel like I already addressed that question. Try reading.
:lol Damn, touchy much?

I said "I could see it," but that "It's hard to know how improved the team will be with the new staff," and that part of the trouble is "I'm running through these games in my mind visualizing how the team responded under the old staff."

So..... to answer your question above.... 8-8.

Key point, here: Not claiming the coaching isn't better. Simply saying, hard to visualize how much better the results translate on the field at this point (not having seen a preseason or camp with this coach, not knowing how much acclimation Prescott will need given he's missing time, or how long he'll hold out, not knowing how McCarthy's schemes are adopted by the offensive personnel right away, etc). I think that opening 3 game stretch could be killer if we aren't hitting the ground running all systems go.

But then again like 2 days ago I said the McCarthy hire was just about the best one they could have made, so don't go getting your panties in a wad. Jerry sold his soul to the devil long ago - we aren't allowed to have nice things until someone breaks the curse.
So, both coaching staffs would go 8-8. Sure.

And where was I getting "my panties in a wad?" If anything, the only person doing that here would be you, again feeling the need to scramble into defense mode for Jason Garrett.

Please accept my most humble apologies for even remotely questioning your redheaded demi-god.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

And where was I getting "my panties in a wad?" If anything, the only person doing that here would be you, again feeling the need to scramble into defense mode for Jason Garrett.
Not defending anything, and not what I said.

But you love to paint with that brush because general lack of nuance is the only way we can silence dissent.

Carry on.

data

Forbes #1
:lol Damn, touchy much?

Please accept my most humble apologies for even remotely questioning your redheaded demi-god.
Stage 2 - Anger

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not defending anything, and not what I said.

But you love to paint with that brush because general lack of nuance is the only way we can silence dissent.

Carry on.
Damn, you love to be the victim. Especially where Jason Garrett is involved.

But, like you said... Carry on.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
8-8 is not implausible. We lost our leading sacker, #1 corner, all-pro center, and savvy third wideout. LVE is a question mark at best. It's uncertain if their replacements will be any better. OTOH, we lost a few games thanks to special teams alone, so if that area is vastly improved, double digit wins are within reach.

Top Bottom