2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Because it's peanuts compared to what the schools rake in. And a lot of players don't give a damn about that free education anyway. They leave school as soon as possible.
its still compensation so the claim should be they're underpaid. Fools who squander the opportunity for the degree while there only have themselves to blame. The creme of the crop will make plenty of $$ so it hopefully wont matter but it probably will because the number of athletes who blow their fortunes are staggering. Going to a few of those classes could have really paid off for many

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
so they're paid then but in your estimate, they're underpaid? Given how few make it to the NFL (& those are the ones most likely to get sponsorships in college) and the high cost of college, I think the pay sounds pretty damn good. I'm certainly open to improvements and have no love for the NCAA but to claim players aren't being compensated is not true imho

reminds me of the same BS argument women's soccer makes about being paid the same as the men but they wouldn't say that if women's soccer revenues dwarfed mens and thats what compensation should be tied to
Being paid and being allowed to sleep and eat somewhere for free are two separate things. Hell, when I was in the military I ate and had a dorm room provided to me free of charge for 4 years but I still needed to be paid.

I get what you're saying but that scholarship isn't going to pay for a car, insurance, clothing, things for girlfriends, rent/mortgage because a lot of them are married with a kid or two., etc. Sure the scholarship frees up a lot of extra cash, but it's still not the same as actually being paid.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
So assuming only three conferences end up playing. There's no 4-team CFB playoff this year, right?

I assume all we're going to get are conference championships.

Cotton

Staff member
So assuming only three conferences end up playing. There's no 4-team CFB playoff this year, right?

I assume all we're going to get are conference championships.
I can't imagine the other 3 don't follow suit at some point.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I can't imagine the other 3 don't follow suit at some point.
Looks that way.

Makes you wonder what the hell changed in the last 72 hours because they were all adjusting their schedules as if this was a definite go. Then all of a sudden they pull the rug from under us.

Cotton

Staff member
Looks that way.

Makes you wonder what the hell changed in the last 72 hours because they were all adjusting their schedules as if this was a definite go. Then all of a sudden they pull the rug from under us.
Yeah, it does seem kind of sudden.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
this will no doubt please lefty sportswriters who desperately don't want sports to happen and cheer on any setbacks (see: MLB)

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
this will no doubt please lefty sportswriters who desperately don't want sports to happen and cheer on any setbacks (see: MLB)
No doubt. They're loving this.

Next up, extreme shaming of the other conferences who haven't quit yet.

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
ACC needs to listen to it's next great NFL QBs in Lawrence and Howell and just let them play.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
No doubt. They're loving this.

Next up, extreme shaming of the other conferences who haven't quit yet.
This is why they're rooting for no football. Has nothing to do with players' safety and everything to do with politics.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This is why they're rooting for no football. Has nothing to do with players' safety and everything to do with politics.

What a sickening article. I know SI isn't what it used to be, but my god, to have a sports article be that politically partisan is gross.

But I'd like to ask him why the states that locked down the longest like Michigan and California aren't playing but the ones in the south and southeast still want to? He uses that "US Cases" like every state reopened at the same time, which of course they didn't.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
What a sickening article. I know SI isn't what it used to be, but my god, to have a sports article be that politically partisan is gross.

But I'd like to ask him why the states that locked down the longest like Michigan and California aren't playing but the ones in the south and southeast still want to? He uses that "US Cases" like every state reopened at the same time, which of course they didn't.
They're hoping football fans take their anger out on Trump this November instead of governors and limp-wristed chancellors.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Being paid and being allowed to sleep and eat somewhere for free are two separate things. Hell, when I was in the military I ate and had a dorm room provided to me free of charge for 4 years but I still needed to be paid.

I get what you're saying but that scholarship isn't going to pay for a car, insurance, clothing, things for girlfriends, rent/mortgage because a lot of them are married with a kid or two., etc. Sure the scholarship frees up a lot of extra cash, but it's still not the same as actually being paid.
Sheesh, Its being paid but in your opinion its not being paid enough, to say its not compensation (aka "pay/paid") is nonsense. Its not merely food and shelter either, its a free education that has become very expensive if one had to actually earn the dollars required to pay for it.

Skipping the process of issuing dollars to the athlete he has to pay tax on and then immediately turnaround and pay for the room, board and education doesnt magically cause this transaction not to be considered pay.

What you want is them to have a cash stipend on top of their paid education, room & board which I have no problem with but saying they are not paid will never be true no matter how many times someone tries to twist logic into the nonsensical pretzel required to claim they are not paid

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
that'll put the nail in the coffin, there will be no college football this year, I knew they would be too afraid to play and resist the outrage mob. It may be the right move but I don't trust their motivation and reasons for not playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom