2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Wow, I guess we really aren't going to have a college football season.
Looks that way. I guess the other conferences will follow suit. It’s bad that the entire system has become victims to all this. Maybe the NFL can take up the slack and to their advantage their money demands will be enhanced considerably and at least someone will be on the right side of this paranoia disaster.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Plus the aesthetics of it make the colleges look they're placing money above the health of student athletes who aren't even being paid. It's a terrible look to say it's too risky to have students on campus for classes but then in the next breath say that it's okay to play football. Especially when many of the other fall sports have already been taken off the table. That screams greed and lets everyone know that they're only doing this for the money. Which would be okay if the players were actually being paid.
Well we don't have to get off topic on this, but I think they are getting paid. They're getting paid with a college education that can be worth 200k or more. Students and families go into debt for years and decades to pay off a college education, and these guys are getting one for playing football complete with tutors, fame on campus, women, future job prospects, etc. that regular kids don't get.

But on the other sports, they have to cancel those because they're huge money losers. The only way they're viable at all is football paying for it all.

Also, I don't think it's too risky to have kids on campus, but that again goes back to the fear of college admins.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well we don't have to get off topic on this, but I think they are getting paid. They're getting paid with a college education that can be worth 200k or more. Students and families go into debt for years and decades to pay off a college education, and these guys are getting one for playing football complete with tutors, fame on campus, women, future job prospects, etc. that regular kids don't get.

But on the other sports, they have to cancel those because they're huge money losers. The only way they're viable at all is football paying for it all.

Also, I don't think it's too risky to have kids on campus, but that again goes back to the fear of college admins.
I knew someone would bring up this argument.

You know there are other students who are on athletic and academic scholarships, right? And those students aren't being asked to come in and place themselves at risk of contracting the virus. Students on full academic scholarships who are also being "paid" to go to school are being told they can't go to campus because it's too dangerous. That's why I say it's doesn't play well from a PR standpoint.

This isn't me rooting for the season to be canceled, because that's not true at all. I spend most of my Saturday afternoons in the Fall planted in front of a TV watching random college games. I'm just throwing my assessment out there based on what's been going on with COVID and public education. And I'm also factoring in what's been going on with the NCAA recently regarding more pressure being placed on them to compensate athletes.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You know there are other students who are on athletic and academic scholarships, right? And those students aren't being asked to come in and place themselves at risk of contracting the virus. Students on full academic scholarships who are also being "paid" to go to school are being told they can't go to campus because it's too dangerous. That's why I say it's doesn't play well from a PR standpoint.
Have football players been threatened with losing their scholarship if they didn't want to play because of Covid? I haven't heard that and I can't imagine that would be the case. Talk about bad PR for a coach. I don't think any of them would risk that.

College football always has been entirely voluntary and still is as far as I know.

1bigfan13

Staff member
poor students receiving a free education, room & board which depending upon the school could be over $200,000 value, so tired of that lie
They get a lot of amenities no doubt. But it pales in comparison to what's being made off their likeness and the money they generate for the universities.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They get a lot of amenities no doubt. But it pales in comparison to what's being made off their likeness and the money they generate for the universities.
Yeah, I think we can acknowledge the scholarship system is a tremendous payment for about 99% of the students who participate in college sports, the problem is the 1% who transcend the sport and could make a killing in endorsements. Probably way less than 1% really, but that doesn't mean it's fair.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Middy's gonna have to become a full-time Dallas fan again.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Have football players been threatened with losing their scholarship if they didn't want to play because of Covid? I haven't heard that and I can't imagine that would be the case. Talk about bad PR for a coach. I don't think any of them would risk that.

College football always has been entirely voluntary and still is as far as I know.
No, as far as I know the only players who decided to opt out are those who are already draft eligible and want to protect themselves.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But as of last fall, they can make money off their likeness, correct? Or maybe that's not official-official yet. But I think it soon will be.

The other part is, nobody ever mentions that the biggest name recruits who are usually the best players are getting paid. It's under the table, but they're getting paid. We all know that's gone on forever.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
why is getting a free education, room and board not considered compensation?
Because it's peanuts compared to what the schools rake in. And a lot of players don't give a damn about that free education anyway. They leave school as soon as possible.

1bigfan13

Staff member
But as of last fall, they can make money off their likeness, correct?
It's trending that way. I seem to remember a handful of states passing laws that allowed their student athletes to make money off their likeness.

If that ends up holding true, you'd think all 50 states and the NCAA would have to follow suit otherwise you're looking at a pretty lopsided recruiting advantage for programs operating in those states. Especially when it comes down to recruiting those elite prospects like Tebow & Zion who were well known across the nation.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
so they're paid then but in your estimate, they're underpaid? Given how few make it to the NFL (& those are the ones most likely to get sponsorships in college) and the high cost of college, I think the pay sounds pretty damn good. I'm certainly open to improvements and have no love for the NCAA but to claim players aren't being compensated is not true imho

reminds me of the same BS argument women's soccer makes about being paid the same as the men but they wouldn't say that if women's soccer revenues dwarfed mens and thats what compensation should be tied to

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
I wouldn't currently consider a college education an "amenity" but its value is probably heading that direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom