2020 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt. I could watch football every single day all year if it were available.
I agree, just wondering if it's just a shit football conference playing with no real goal at the end, will anyone care?

midswat

... soon
The football teams who are canceling are doing so for financial reasons, not health reasons.

If the team isn’t going to make money due to lost P5 matchups or limited attendance - they cancel. That is the only COVID tie. They can “cite health concerns” all they want but it’s a scapegoat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Honestly, I think FBS schools are trying but will bow eventually and shut it down to figure it all out.

The one thing everyone fears is college kids getting organized. It would kill the profits.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ridiculous
This is not as much as the pandemic, as it is they have no clue how to deal with the organization of the players. They need time to figure it out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess I am missing something in all this apparent confusion. Are the schools thinking they can’t have teams play because the attendance circumstances is too hard to work out or is it because the teams themselves are reluctant to play because of impending virus issues?

I was under the impression that the teams for the most part were going to play to empty stands. That seems like a simple issue. You just play ball and don’t have a crowd. I am apparently missing a major part of the issues.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess I am missing something in all this apparent confusion. Are the schools thinking they can’t have teams play because the attendance circumstances is too hard to work out or is it because the teams themselves are reluctant to play because of impending virus issues?

I was under the impression that the teams for the most part were going to play to empty stands. That seems like a simple issue. You just play ball and don’t have a crowd. I am apparently missing a major part of the issues.
Uh...they are worried about controlling COVID and the impending labor issues.

Attendance is the last thing they are concerned about.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Uh...they are worried about controlling COVID and the impending labor issues.

Attendance is the last thing they are concerned about.
Then is it a Covid issue with players? Is is the players who are concerned or the staff who is concerned with the exposure of the players? Still yet is it a PR issue for the Administrators of the School about the Covid potential for the players? Other wise its a matter of whether the players want to play with another risk element to the game over and above the risk of injury. I just haven’t heard a clear cut issue from the majority of schools. It seems to be more of an issue with school administrators.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LT, from what I've seen it's both. There are some kids scared to play. But it's mostly that college administrators are so terrified of backlash from Twitter and the media. This has become a political issue and we know how that group leans. Unlike with the NFL, there's little to no ability to say that yes, there's some risk here but we're willing to accept that. Now you must avoid all risk or be called uncaring, a murderer, etc.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT, from what I've seen it's both. There are some kids scared to play. But it's mostly that college administrators are so terrified of backlash from Twitter and the media. This has become a political issue and we know how that group leans. Unlike with the NFL, there's little to no ability to say that yes, there's some risk here but we're willing to accept that. Now you must avoid all risk or be called uncaring, a murderer, etc.
Thanks.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Plus the aesthetics of it make the colleges look they're placing money above the health of student athletes who aren't even being paid. It's a terrible look to say it's too risky to have students on campus for classes but then in the next breath say that it's okay to play football. Especially when many of the other fall sports have already been taken off the table. That screams greed and lets everyone know that they're only doing this for the money. Which would be okay if the players were actually being paid.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Unlike with the NFL, there's little to no ability to say that yes, there's some risk here but we're willing to accept that. Now you must avoid all risk or be called uncaring, a murderer, etc.
Eh. I don't think the issue is providing a 100% risk free environment. I think the issue is the players have no voice and have very little say in the matter compared to the NFL and other professional sport leagues. If there were a players union looking out for them and they were being paid then I think most would be fine with them playing. Mainly because most of us every day citizens are taking similar risks every single day when we go to work. The difference is we take the risk because we're being paid and in many cases have unions and employment clauses in line to protect us.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wow, I guess we really aren't going to have a college football season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom