2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No. My position is to go for a high level proven commodity because there has already been too much time wasted. Don't ask me who because there aren't that many available and I'm aware of the difficulty but still as I said that is what Dallas needs.
So, you do keep Garrett if you can't get a Payton-level coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So, you do keep Garrett if you can't get a Payton-level coach.
No again. Regardless Garrett needs to go. There is nowhere I have advocated keeping Garrett. He is a proven failure. Dallas might have to settle for less than what they need but still they need a payton type.

Cotton

Staff member
No again. Regardless Garrett needs to go. There is nowhere I have advocated keeping Garrett. He is a proven failure. Dallas might have to settle for less than what they need but still they need a payton type.
You are advocating keeping Garrett if you won't take a coach below Payton's level.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are advocating keeping Garrett if you won't take a coach below Payton's level.
That isn't correct. The only thing I am and have advocated is getting a coach that has the quality level to that of Payton. There isn’t one word where I have included Garrett in the conversation. It’s a foregone conclusion that Garrett needs to go. For anyone to think I am saying he needs to stay otherwise is pure presumptive imagination on their part. There is nothing in my post that even hints that Garrett should be retained under any circumstance. It is almost comedic to see the questions trying to pigeon me into having made such a statement. Just take it for what I stated. Dallas needs a coach that is along the Payton genre and nothing more. It virtually saying that Garrett should be replaced if one has to include his name in the thought process. Just let it be what it is.

Cotton

Staff member
That isn't correct. The only thing I am and have advocated is getting a coach that has the quality level to that of Payton. There isn’t one word where I have included Garrett in the conversation. It’s a foregone conclusion that Garrett needs to go. For anyone to think I am saying he needs to stay otherwise is pure presumptive imagination on their part. There is nothing in my post that even hints that Garrett should be retained under any circumstance. It is almost comedic to see the questions trying to pigeon me into having made such a statement. Just take it for what I stated. Dallas needs a coach that is along the Payton genre and nothing more. It virtually saying that Garrett should be replaced if one has to include his name in the thought process. Just let it be what it is.
Yeah, so weird of me to include Garrett's name in the conversation since, you know, he is the current coach. You said you would not take a coach lower than Payton's level. That implicitly implies that if you can't get a coach of that level, you don't make a change. But, then you say Garrett has to go regardless. I'm just trying to clarify the disparity in your ramblings.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, so weird of me to include Garrett's name in the conversation since, you know, he is the current coach. You said you would not take a coach lower than Payton's level. That implicitly implies that if you can't get a coach of that level, you don't make a change. But, then you say Garrett has to go regardless. I'm just trying to clarify the disparity in your ramblings.
I said the coach needs to be at the level of Payton. I also said in other posts I realize the difficulty of finding such a coach but still that’s the level to target. I implied nothing about Garrett being retained and it’s ridiculous to try to say I did.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That’s not what I said. I said for what Dallas needs. In order to take this team to the Super Bowl again it will take someone to the level or above Payton. I didn’t reference Garrett at all. Are you just looking for something to jump on.?
You do realize there have been several coaches, not on the level of Sean Payton, who have managed to make it to conference championships and Super Bowls, right?

Ron Rivera, Chuck Pagano, Rex Ryan, Dan Quinn, Ken Whisenhunt, Gary Kubiak are just a few that immediately come to mind.

It doesn't take a Hall of Fame level coach to reach Super Bowls and conference title games in the modern NFL. If you have a talented roster and a head coach who actually understands situational football and who doesn't simply gloss over the details during the practice week, there's a very good chance that your team wins or at least makes an appearance in the conference title game.

Also, winning at that level requires a coach who is not afraid to go out and win the game. Garrett come outs coaching scared in every single late season big game. Same with playoff games. It doesn't take a Sean Payton level coach to not punt the ball on 4th and 1 from your opponent's 45 yard line.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Piss off, Jerry.
I like that Jerry is not getting off the hook. I've noticed quite a few members of the national media are aiming their sights at Jerry Jones as ultimately being the problem. There have even been a few former Cowboys like Marcus Spears who are placing the blame squarely on Jerry for hanging on to average coaches too long and embracing mediocrity.

All of this won't change anything. But it makes me feel a little better knowing he's receiving some of the hate mail as well.

Cotton

Staff member
I like that Jerry is not getting off the hook. I've noticed quite a few members of the national media are aiming their sights at Jerry Jones as ultimately being the problem. There have even been a few former Cowboys like Marcus Spears who are placing the blame squarely on Jerry for hanging on to average coaches too long and embracing mediocrity.

All of this won't change anything. But it makes me feel a little better knowing he's receiving some of the hate mail as well.
It makes me feel awesome. Doesn’t change anything but any time that mf’er has to sweat it’s a good day. He is the only person on the planet I hate more than Jason Garrett.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You do realize there have been several coaches, not on the level of Sean Payton, who have managed to make it to conference championships and Super Bowls, right?

Ron Rivera, Chuck Pagano, Rex Ryan, Dan Quinn, Ken Whisenhunt, Gary Kubiak are just a few that immediately come to mind.

It doesn't take a Hall of Fame level coach to reach Super Bowls and conference title games in the modern NFL. If you have a talented roster and a head coach who actually understands situational football and who doesn't simply gloss over the details during the practice week, there's a very good chance that your team wins or at least makes an appearance in the conference title game.

Also, winning at that level requires a coach who is not afraid to go out and win the game. Garrett come outs coaching scared in every single late season big game. Same with playoff games. It doesn't take a Sean Payton level coach to not punt the ball on 4th and 1 from your opponent's 45 yard line.
All of that is fine. I wasn’t trying to cover evert contingency toward seeking a new coach, I was expressing my preference as to what I think a new coach should be. All of the other gaff about me saying or implying that Garrett should be retained otherwise became a lot of useless flack that was from out of the blue. If I was trying to convey that point I would have simply said otherwise Garrett should be retained. I would have clarified my opinion in that regard by just stating it that way. I am still at a loss as to how an “implication “ was derived when I could have simply said it if that is what I meant.

I fully understand that there may other candidates that the organization may have to choose from but the guideline of Paytons level is my opinion of what I think the organization “needs”. Garrett being retained otherwise is simply from someone else’s mind. I am astutely aware that Garrett is an albatross to the organization. Thanks for indulging me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm cool with an unproven NFL coach because proven great NFL coaches are rarely available. Interview guys and find the right one. It's not rocket science.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm done. @NoDak, tag me out.
Fuck that noise. I wasn't kidding when I said I wasn't playing his stupid games. Dude says we need a coach on the level of Sean Payton. It's obvious that the mystery person he's imagining would replace Jason Garrett, but if you bring up Garrett's name? DDUUUURRRRRR!! DATS NOT WUT I SED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom