2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even those numbers... I'd be like, eh, that's Pro Bowl, but not best WR in the league numbers. That would have placed him last year 15th among WRs in receptions, 7th in yards, and 9th in touchdowns.

So, like, he can be paid like the 9th best WR, then, no?
Probably not because the 9th best receiver when he hits free agency will be the highest paid. And the best receivers in the NFL won't be paid like the best until they hit free agency again. It's just the way the league works.

You also have to keep in mind that we are a running team. Our best receiver isn't going to put up the same stats as a guy playing in a wide open passing offense that throws the ball on most downs. I love what Cooper did for us last year and hope he only builds off it. But he isn't that far from a 680 yard season with the Raiders and his numbers there over the last couple years definitely don't justify a big pay day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's true. Derek Carr went from hot shit to warmed over dog shit really quickly. Clearly he didn't have the connection with Cooper that Dak has. It's sort of the interesting aspect of WRs. They are very QB dependent. A QB who really likes a target can inflate that guys numbers a lot. A QB who doesn't have that connection with a WR can really hold that guys numbers back.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Who you figure they are calling about? Byron? Taco? One of the OL?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Who you figure they are calling about? Byron? Taco? One of the OL?
My guess is Taco or the O-line. Probably more so the O-line. We are stacked there. But we are also extremely heavy on the D-line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
[h=1]Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer[/h]
Stephen Jones said teams have called the Cowboys since the draft about trades involving players on the roster, especially on the offensive line, but the team is not interested in making moves at the moment. While safety might remain a need from outside the organization, Jones said, "it's got to be a safety that works for us," but they are confident in the safeties on the roster currently.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Booze bitches about getting rid of a guy like Taco for peanuts. But the O-line is a legit area where we could upgrade another position via a trade or get serious draft picks. We all know that Collins isn't going to be here past this year. He has a lot of physical talent but the on the field production hasn't really lived up to it. Still he is a good starting RT in the NFL. It's a perfect time to trade him. We have a second round pick who started at guard last year but was an elite college OT. We have really good guard that we drafted this year. Plus we have some high level backups in Sua, Looney and Flemming. The time couldn't be more perfect to trade Collins and get really good value.

But we won't. We will hold on to him and lose him next year for hopes of a comp pick a couple years down the road.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Booze bitches about getting rid of a guy like Taco for peanuts. But the O-line is a legit area where we could upgrade another position via a trade or get serious draft picks.
I am all for moving Collins for something significant. He is a goner anyways. And while he might fetch a comp pick, it likely would only be a fourth unless we stayed completely out of free agency next year.

McGovern should be able to handle LG and then just move Williams back to tackle to compete with Fleming.

And yes, I would absolutely move Charlton if it made sense. He is taking up space right now.

Armstrong, Jackson, Hyder and even Jelks can hold down the DE depth. What exactly is he going to do except get in the way?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And yes, I would absolutely move Charlton if it made sense. He is taking up space right now.

Armstrong, Jackson, Hyder and even Jelks can hold down the DE depth. What exactly is he going to do except get in the way?
I mean would trade him for the right price. But I'm not bothering for a sixth or seventh round pick. Those are useless. Now if you could get me a former first round safety in a similar situation I would do it in a heart beat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But I'm not bothering for a sixth or seventh round pick.
So you wouldn't trade him for a day 3 pick and would just have him sitting around sucking up a couple million in payroll and being a living distraction like he was last year?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you wouldn't trade him for a day 3 pick and would just have him sitting around sucking up a couple million in payroll and being a living distraction like he was last year?
Give me a fourth. He wasn't a distraction for anyone last year except you. And he is far more talented than most sixth round picks. Better to see if the light finally comes on for the guy. He has been in the league a whole two years. His salary is nothing compared to most free agents.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he is that much better than either of the two ends we just drafted.
So let them battle it out and see who is best. Still no reason to dump him for a sixth round pick right now. You think Taco is worse than he was. He's actually pretty solid when he is on the field. He just rarely gets on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom