2019 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I agree but why were the Saints looking to sign Morris instead of Ajayi? I'm not trying to defend the move. We know what Morris brings and it's not that much. It's why I hope he doesn't make the roster. But it's weird that other NFL teams act like there aren't better options either. Frankly better backs will be cut before the season starts.
I dont know, maybe Ajayi was asking a little more? And in the Saints case they def are just wanting a camp body

i think I'm just afraid our FO thinks they can go into the season with a jag like Morris if a deal with Zeke doesnt get done

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Also I can see this being used by Jerry as the excuse for Garrett for not winning and giving him an extension

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could be but I hope not. I mean we jist used a fourth on Pollard and haven't even really seen what he cam do yet. You can't tell much from a RB until contact starts.

Jackson is just a guy I hoped Weber would beat out.
I don't think Pollard is equipped for more than a dozen Carrie's in a game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Will believe it when I see it.
Yeah, we'll see about that. Garrett lets the inmates run the asylum at times (I know, racist), so Witten will most likely dictate when he is on the field.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Thank God Morris was available.

If they had signed Lance Fuckin' Dunbar, I would have lost my shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How fucking myopic are these morons? "Got our Sean McVay" in Kellen Moore? How about 15 years ago when Jerry "got his Sean Payton" in Jason Garrett? Really worked out fucking stupendously.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
An excerpt from a Mike Lombardi article at the Athletic, titled...

Time to pay (and deploy) Ezekiel Elliott like the game-changer he is, and other thoughts on NFL holdouts

Over the past few days, I have traveled to Australia to spend time with and offer some help to the Essendon Club, a member of the Australian Football League. Nearly everywhere I’ve traveled in this beautiful country, people have asked “what would you do with Cowboys running back Zeke Elliott?” or “what do you think of Chargers running back Melvin Gordon?” or “what about the holdout of Washington’s left tackle Trent Williams?” Australians love their own game, but they also love ours.

To answer those questions, we’ll start with Elliott. Elliott is not a running back; he is a game-changer. Even though he had 77 catches last year, more than he had together in his first two seasons, the Cowboys have failed to maximize his full potential in the passing game. Elliott should have 10 touchdowns a year in the passing game, not just six in his overall career. Elliott needs to catch 80 balls and average more than 10 yards per attempt.

Jerry Jones may have said out loud that “you don’t have to have a rushing champion to win a Super Bowl,” but he certainly knows that the Cowboys needed one to win their championships of the past, namely Emmitt Smith. Elliott is crucial to the Cowboys’ success, and he will be pivotal if Dallas wants to win another title.

If the Cowboys are smart, they’ll add another big runner who can run the ball from a one-back set, can block adequately enough and can function in the fullback position, in the deep I and flex away from the formation. This player does not have to be a star in any area; he only has to be able to perform in that role. When the Cowboys go to a two-back formation with Elliott and this other back, opposing defensive coordinators will be forced to play their base defense — and this will allow the Cowboys to shift their personnel group without having to substitute, which is the key to being a great offense. If they like Elliott on the linebacker, then make Elliott the slot receiver and he becomes Julian Edelman. If they spread the formation extending everyone away from the line and keep Elliott as the lone back, then the defense is limited in its calls and adjustments to which the Cowboys offense can dictate. Elliott’s talents are limitless, and he makes everyone better, including the head coach Jason Garrett (aka, The Clapper) and quarterback Dak Prescott.

My solution for the Cowboys is simple: Start with Prescott. Tell him, “Look, we love you, and you will make a boatload of money over the length of your career, but this contract ain’t the world-beater. This contract must be ‘team-friendly’ so we can pay Elliott what we need and you can continue to improve as we win games together. This does not mean you won’t get a great payday; it only means you are not crossing the $25 million-per-year threshold. In three years, if we do this right, you will be paid in the top five. The longevity of earning power is in your favor. When you and Zeke are sitting on a porch in 20 years after winning multiple Super Bowls together, your bank account will be bigger, this I promise you.”

Now, pitching the riches of the future may be a tough sell in the present, but if anyone can sell it, Jerry Jones can. As Bill Parcells once said about Jerry: “He can talk a cat off a fish truck.” Jerry needs to convince Dak that Elliott’s compensation is vital today, and that three years from now, his own compensation will become more vital.

---------------------------------------------

The article goes on, but not about Elliott.

Cotton

Staff member
Randall Cobb signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys as a free agent. His focus is not on more catches and yards to cash in on a deal in 2020. “I’m here to win a championship. I’m here to provide everything I can for this team,” Cobb said. “I thought it was a great fit. I’ve played a lot of ball. I’ve been on some good teams but I don’t have a ring. At the end of the day that’s what this game is about. I’m trying to be the best teammate I can be and provide everything I can for this team, and everything else will take care of itself.”

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
As Colin C said yesterday, we're boxed in and pretty much have to pay Zeke. We're not a "RB by committee" team like NE or Philly, and we don't have a James Conner waiting in the wings. In other words, we prepared poorly for a potential holdout.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder if his price has come down.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
They are just now getting around to this? Supposedly occurred in January 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom