2017 East-West Shrine Game Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
January 15, 2017 | Tony Pauline

2017 Shrine Practice Preview: Offense

Tony Pauline
Draft Analyst Writer

Practices for the 2017 Shrine Game get underway tomorrow in St Petersburg, Florida and as in year’s past we’ll have it covered all week. Here’s a breakdown on some of the better stories and prospects we’ll be watching on offense.

Quarterbacks

Entering the season, Central Michigan's Cooper Rush was graded as a potential second-day pick by NFL scouts, something I criticized as unjustified. Rush lacks an NFL arm and is often late making decisions. Most expected him to participate in the Senior Bowl at the start of the season; hence the Shrine Game is an opportunity for Rush to right his ship.

Gunner Kiel is another signal caller who entered the season with reasonably high grades from scouts, but was never able to win back the starting job at Cincinnati. Kiel has the physical skills Rush lacks but comes with personality questions. The interview process throughout the week will be critical for him.

In contrast, Ivy League quarterback Alek Torgersen was ignored by scouts and not graded entering 2016. The big-armed passer now has a major opportunity ahead of him. The Penn product must throw with accuracy all three days of practice and show the ability to quickly adapt to new receivers that will be strangers to him.

Running Backs

Michigan's De'Veon Smith was graded as a potential top-45 choice entering the season, a grade which was not warranted. The Michigan senior is a solid ball carrier who does the little things well but really doesn’t stand out in any single area. Smith must display he has the ability to be more than a downhill, between-the-tackles ball carrier for all three days of practice.

Elijah McGuire receives a variety of opinions in the scouting community, with some believing he’s a potential second-day choice. I like his versatility and feel he’s a solid third-down back for the next level. His pass-catching skills during practice will go a long way in determining where McGuire ends up in the draft.

Tight Ends/Wide Receivers

If you’re not familiar with Eric Saubert, you soon will be. He’s a large, athletic tight end from Drake that does a terrific job catching the ball in every area of the field. Saubert has timed in the 4.7 area in the forty but plays faster. His blocking against the better level of competition he’ll face during drills and scrimmages is of utmost importance.

Conversely Toledo's Michael Roberts plays like an offensive tackle at the tight end position and dominates opponents blocking on the line of scrimmage. His pass-catching skills are solid, but his speed is a big question. The ability to run the seam and beat linebackers downfield will only help Roberts’ draft stock.

Billy Brown, the Week Ten Riser from Shepherd, is an interesting prospect as he’s a massive receiver who dominated opponents on the small-school level. We grade Brown as a tight end, and it will be interesting to see if he receives any reps at the position next week.

DeAngelo Yancey, another week ten riser, was one of the few bright lights during Purdue’s dismal season. He had several banner games and played dominant football at times. I’ll be looking for consistency and a little speed from Yancey starting on Monday.

Offensive Line

For three years now I’ve graded Erik Magnuson as a draftable selection, so I was surprised when scouts ignored him entering the season. Magnuson is tough, powerful and very efficient, getting the most from his ability. I doubt he’s a left tackle for the next level, but any amount of footwork and lateral blocking range he shows during Shrine practice, especially in one-on-one drills, will boost the former Wolverine's draft stock.

Daniel Skipper has had a bit of an up-and-down career. I thought he played better in 2015 than last season. Like Magnuson, he must show some sort of mobility and ability off the edge to enhance his draft grade.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
January 15, 2017 | Tony Pauline

2017 Shrine Preview: The Defense

Tony Pauline
Draft Analyst Writer

Practices for the 2017 Shrine Game get underway tomorrow in St Petersburg, Florida and as in year’s past we’ll have it covered all week. Here’s a breakdown on some of the better stories and prospects we’ll be watching on defense.

Defensive Line

South Carolina’s Darius English was not graded by scouts entering the season; then he went on to finish with 60 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and nine sacks as a senior. He’s a tall, angular pass rusher with good speed and agility off the edge. How he holds up against run blocking is another story. English must show he can hold the point, especially in one-on-one drills, and not get annihilated by blocks. Smart money says he’ll get the job done.

Jeremiah Ledbetter of Arkansas was another senior scouts ignored entering the year despite solid film in 2015. The Week 7 Riser is a playmaker constantly around the action. Questions about measurables and his true NFL position (defensive end, three-technique tackle?) must be answered next week.

Unlike the aforementioned front-line defenders, Jason Carr of West Georgia was graded by scouts and comes with next-level computer numbers (6-foot-5, 300lbs). The problem is Carr doesn’t play to them on every snap or put the pedal to the metal. Interviews and, more importantly, a non-stop attitude during practice are critical for Carr.

Linebackers

In my opinion, San Diego State’s Calvin Munson never received the credit he deserved. He’s tough, instinctive and shows a complete game on film. A Week 6 Riser, we’ll be looking to see how Munson does in coverage against some of the bigger and more athletic tight ends he’ll face during the three days of practice.

Jimmie Gilbert of Colorado will be closely inspected starting with Monday morning’s weigh-ins. During the January 3rd Draft Buzz, I reported Gilbert played around 211 pounds last season, too light for an NFL linebacker. If he’s added weight, as we expect, the next thing to watch is any reduced quickness or speed in his game. Gilbert was a terrific college pass rusher (14.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks) but scouts wonder how he projects to the next level.

Defensive Backs

Jalen Myrick has flashed dominance throughout his career but has shown little in the way of consistency. The Golden Gopher shuts down opponents but just as easily blows assignments. He’s one of the higher-rated cornerbacks at the Shrine Game and must play like one at every practice.

UCLA’s Fabian Moreau has drawn a variety of opinions the past two years. Some teams rate him as a second-day pick while others feel he’s of the late-round variety. At the top of his game Moreau shows starting ability for the next level.

Channing Stribling was an afterthought from scouts entering the season, which was disturbing. He’s a tall, lanky corner who was a mainstay in the Michigan Wolverines secondary the past two seasons. Scouts question his speed and that’s a legitimate concern in my opinion. We’ll see how he holds up in one-on-one drills starting Monday.

Speed is also a question mark for Damarius Travis. The Minnesota safety is constantly around the ball, but I’ll be interested in seeing how much range he has in center field as well as how Travis does in one-on-one cover drills.

One player who received an invitation to the Shrine Game but won’t be participating is Treyvon Hester of Toledo.

A prospect I’ve continually compared to nine year NFL veteran Ahtyba Rubin, Hester injured a labrum in his shoulder late last October and missed two regular season games. He participated in Toledo’s final two contests then underwent surgery to repair the injury during the first half of December, prior to the team’s bowl game against Appalachian State.

Hester expects to workout for NFL teams in early April and likely won’t participate in any workouts during the combine. Assuming he’s healthy Hester is one of the more intriguing defensive line prospects available in next April’s draft. While we presently grade him as a 5th rounder, Hester ranks as one of the best nose tackle prospects on boards around the league.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck, offseason stuff. :budd

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting approach with the coaching as in years past.

Used to be old coaches who couldn't get jobs in the NFL, like Jerry Glanville and shit.

Now they are pushing pro coaches.

For example, Brentson Buckner, DL coach of the Cardinals is the head coach of the East squad. Same with Vikes DC George Edwards of the Vikings for the West.

I guess that since both are minorities, this will be a proving ground for Rooney Rule guys.

Sure beats the old way. Seeing some geriatric trying to connect with these kids is a waste of time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elijah McGuire scores winning TD as West takes 92nd Shrine Game
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
comment
7:26 PM CT
Associated Press
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Elijah McGuire made the most of his opportunity at the East-West Shrine game.

Hoping to improve his standing among NFL scouts evaluating potential help for their teams, the Louisiana-Lafayette star scored the only touchdown Saturday in the West's 10-3 victory before a crowd of 22,198 at Tropicana Field.

The 5-foot-9, 205-pound running back broke an 18-yard run off right tackle, putting the West ahead for good early in the fourth quarter. San Diego State's Calvin Munson recovered a fumble inside the West 5 yard-line, and another East threat was stopped on downs in the final minute of the game's lowest scoring matchup since the East won 14-6 in 1992.

"I thought this week was going to be fun," said McGuire, who finished with 42 yards rushing on seven carries. "It was fun, but at the same time it was a grind. You only get a week together. You're learning a whole new playbook, so you've got to really focus in at practice."

Idaho's Austin Rehkow kicked a 27-yard field goal in the opening quarter for the West, and North Carolina's Nick Weiler countered with a 21-yarder in the second quarter for the East.

McGuire, who rushed for 1,127 yards and seven TDs for Louisiana-Lafayette this season, scooted through a hole of the right side of the East defense to score the game's only touchdown. Munson recovered a fumble by Michigan's De'Veon Smith on third-and-2 from the West 5 to thwart an East scoring opportunity set up by a muffed punt.

"It was a run to the right, and it was all crowded. I had nowhere to go, so the O-line made a crease on the backside for me," McGuire said. "I saw the crease and made one defender miss going into the end zone."

Illinois' Wes Lunt completed 11 of 14 passes for 101 yards and no interceptions, while sharing quarterback duties for the West with Cincinnati's Gunner Kiel and Western Michigan's Zach Terrell, who led his school to its first New Year's bowl appearance as a senior and is hoping to show he can make the transition from excelling in a shotgun spread offense in college to a pro-style attack in the NFL.

Terrell didn't get many chances to throw Saturday, going 4 of 9 for 33 yards.

"This was an amazing opportunity and I learned a lot from it," Terrell said. "I'm going to take everything I learned and implement it when my pro day comes around."

Central Michigan's Cooper Rush, Penn's Alek Torgensen and Southern Mississippi's Nick Mullens saw action at quarterback for the East, though none of them threw for more than 94 yards.

McGuire finished with 42 yards rushing on seven carries.

COACH 'EM UP

Former NFL defensive lineman Brentson Buckner, now an assistant with the Arizona Cardinals, coached the East squad. His staff included ex-players and current NFL assistants Duce Staley, Bobby Engram, Curtis Fuller and Sam Mills. Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator George Edwards led the West staff, which included DeShea Townsend, Larry Foote and Hank Fraley.

TILLMAN WINNER

Air Force safety Weston Steelhammer won the Pat Tillman Award, presented annually since 2005 to a player who exemplifies leadership on and off the field. The 2016 recipient was Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds.

MAKING PROGRESS

Terrell threw for more than 3,000 yards in each of his last three seasons at Western Michigan. He's the school's career passing leader with 12,100 yards and threw for 96 touchdowns while completing more than 65 percent of his passes. He's confident he can be an asset on a roster on the next level.

"I really enjoy (the pro-style offense) and I've gotten better each day," since arriving in St. Petersburg, said Terrell, who threw for 3,533 yards with 33 touchdowns and four interceptions in 2016 while leading the Broncos to 13 straight wins, a Mid-American Conference championship and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl.

"A lot of the concepts are the same Football is football," he added. "The terminology is the thing that's different, and of course getting under center, which is something I normally didn't do at Western Michigan."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It was a ho hum game. I turned it off after the first half.

Top Bottom