2016 NFL Draft: Zeke vs Ramsey

If you had a do-over who would you have drafted in the 2016 NFL Draft?

• Total voters

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Watching Jalen Ramsey play at an elite level while Ezekiel Elliott is looking like his best days are well behind him, I couldn't help but reflect on the 2016 draft.

If you had to choose between the two players today, Ramsey seems like the obvious choice. But a big part of me doubts that Jalen Ramsey develops into the NFL's best CB if the Cowboys drafted him. They'd have screwed him up somehow someway, like they do with pretty much every other talented CB they get their hands on.

Thoughts?

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Ramsey would have been the correct pick. RB at 4 was dumb beyond belief......then they paid him like a QB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I still would take Zeke.
I agree.

Even if Zeke is basically Eddie George now, we've already gotten more mileage out of him than we would've gotten out of Ramsey.

It's not like Ramsey can stop the run. He wouldn't have made much impact on this team.

Especially since it means we'd have probably kept Byron Jones at safety so through much of these years you'd just be swapping one shut down corner for another. It really wouldn't have made much difference.

In the meantime, having Zeke I believe made a huge difference in Dak's development. It allowed him to grow while putting a lot of the pressure on the running game to move the ball and command the defense's attention while making play action more effective and making things easier on Dak.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And remember Ramsey is already on his second team so things aren't always ideal with that guy.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree.

Even if Zeke is basically Eddie George now, we've already gotten more mileage out of him than we would've gotten out of Ramsey.

It's not like Ramsey would can stop the run. He wouldn't have made much impact on this team.

Especially since it means we'd have probably kept Byron Jones at safety so through much of these years you'd just be swapping one shut down corner for another. It really wouldn't have made much difference.

In the meantime, having Zeke I believe made a huge difference in Dak's development. It allowed him to grow while putting a lot of the pressure on the running game to move the ball and command the defense's attention while making play action more effective and making things easier on Dak.
Ramsey is also a nutbag.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas was going for broke at the end of Romo’s career and needed what Demarco Murray brought in 2014.

Also, IMO a major point is that Ramsey is no longer a Jaguar. You just can’t build a defense around a CB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dallas was going for broke at the end of Romo’s career and needed what Demarco Murray brought in 2014.

Also, IMO a major point is that Ramsey is no longer a Jaguar. You just can’t build a defense around a CB.
That's being a little dishonest, tho. He's not in Jax because he is a flaky dramatic twat. Not because of his talent or position.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's being a little dishonest, tho. He's not in Jax because he is a flaky dramatic twat. Not because of his talent or position.
You either take all of a player or none. The wild emotion is an essential part of Ramsey. Jax couldn’t afford to build around that. The Rams felt they were close to a Championship, so they went for it.

Everyone knows a RB won’t be elite as long as a CB, all things being equal.

But he can be twice as impactful during that time he is elite. Dallas gambled on Romo being healthy for those years, and lost.

Thankfully they were able to salvage the pick in that Zeke really helped Daks development as has been pointed out already.

data

Forbes #1
The other aspect is a different organization may not have allowed Zeke to become a primadonna.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I vote Elliott for one simple reason.

Ramsey is a very talented player and he's probably the best corner since Revis and then before that Sanders.

But he is a volatile player that you can't depend on. The Jags gave up.

I can only imagine how he would have worked out in Dallas. We would be just like the Jags.

And BTW...this is kind of a Zone-ish thread.

data

Forbes #1
And BTW...this is kind of a Zone-ish thread.
1big just got ode'd

You all think being a pole master is as simple as a few clickety-clacks on your keyboard. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should be having babies.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
1big just got ode'd

You all think being a pole master is as simple as a few clickety-clacks on your keyboard. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should be having babies.
Huh?

Top Bottom