2015 Mock Drafts

Carp

DCC 4Life
Putting together a mock draft before the Senior Bowl lends itself to potential pitfalls and miscues. Between now and even the end of the week, this mock draft will undoubtedly change as players will turn heads in both practices and Saturday’s game, and there will be much banter with scouts, coaches and general managers on site that will help shape some of the thinking moving forward.

But for fans of 30 teams this week, it's not about Arizona, the Lombardi Trophy or anything Super Bowl related. It's all about the NFL Draft. With several more to come between now and draft weekend, here's my first mock draft of 2015. Obviously, free agency, coaching hires and offensive and defensive scheme decisions will help shape and mold this as we move toward April 30.

But for now? Consider this the blueprint. Dig in. Don't agree? Let me hear about it. Tweet me at @PSchrags or email me at PeterSchrager@gmail.com.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State: I may be on an island with this one, but as of Jan. 20, I think Winston goes before Marcus Mariota and is taken first overall by the Bucs. This, of course, comes with a giant asterisk. That asterisk being that the Buccaneers -- who I assure you have already begun their work on this -- believe Winston checks out off the field.

Tampa will employ a staff of individuals dedicated to this effort, will meet with Winston multiple times and will likely interview everyone heavily involved in the young man's life. Why Winston over Mariota? Winston's game translates directly to the NFL, as he excelled in Jimbo Fisher's pro-style offense, while Mariota's is still a relative unknown in such a formation. Sources from multiple NFL organizations have expressed concerns about the offense Mariota starred in at Oregon. Furthermore, Winston is a star in the state of Florida and specifically Tampa Bay, where there's a large contingent of Florida State fans who cheered him on in college.

As I pointed out last week on Twitter and on Fox Sports 1's "America's Pregame," Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator, Dirk Koetter, had Mariota's college coach, Mark Helfrich, as an assistant on his staff in the college ranks for eight years. Koetter will have a voice on this, but I think it's a Lovie Smith/Jason Licht call. Licht is a lifetime scout who's often credited for late-round steals like Trent Cole and Brent Celek in Philadelphia. He'll do the work here. And in the end, I think it's Winston.

2. Tennessee Titans: Leonard Williams, DT, USC: Pass on Mariota? Believe it or not, the Titans really liked what they saw out of Zach Mettenberger last year. A sixth-round pick in 2014, he wasn't the reason the Titans went 0-6 in the games he started. He has a stronger arm than either Mariota or Winston, and I just don't see Ken Whisenhunt scrapping his entire offense to build around Mariota, who'd be coming from a college offense. So, they shock the world, go with my top-rated player in the entire draft and build from the inside out. Williams is a 6-5, 300-pound defensive lineman who can rush the passer and stuff the run. There's a minor red flag because of an offseason shoulder surgery, but that shouldn't be too worrisome. Williams played through a torn labrum last season and battled an ankle injury this year and still was the most dominant player on the field. A hot shot high school recruit out of Florida, Williams has drawn comparisons to Gerald McCoy for his inside play and Muhammad Wilkerson at the end spot.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska: The Jaguars loaded up on offense in last year's draft, getting a franchise quarterback in Blake Bortles and picking up wide receivers Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee in the first two days. This year? I'd expect Jacksonville to use some of its free-agent money on a receiver (Dez Bryant, Jeremy Maclin, Randall Cobb, Demaryius Thomas, Torrey Smith and Michael Crabtree could be available) and get a defensive stud in the draft. Gus Bradley is a defensive coach at heart, and the allure of grabbing Gregory -- a 6-foot-6, 250 pound pass rusher -- may have Jacksonville sprinting to get their card in on draft day. Gregory can get to the quarterback but is also able to play a bit in coverage. This is a gem.

4. Oakland Raiders: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama: Jack Del Rio is a defensive-minded coach, and the Raiders have gone defense in the first round the past two years, but Oakland should snag Cooper as Derek Carr's long-term batterymate if he's on the board at fourth overall. Compared favorably to Jeremy Maclin and Roddy White, Cooper is not a skyscraper like Calvin Johnson or a burner like T.Y. Hilton. He's a 6-1, 215-pound No. 1 receiver with hands, strength and speed. At this stage in the game, scouts liked Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans both a bit more last year, but Cooper could go as high as two or three in this draft. Oakland is a good fit.

5. Washington Redskins: Landon Collins, S, Alabama: The Redskins defensive backfield was injured, inexperienced and at times embarrassing down the stretch last season. There was little position coach Raheem Morris could do with the unit come December, when it was 35-year-old Ryan Clark alongside a bunch of kids. Collins is my top-rated defensive back in this draft and can play either the free or strong safety spots in the pros. A 6-foot, 220-pound force in the middle, he's that center fielder the Redskins defense has so sorely missed in the back end. Alabama defensive backs have been a mixed bag in recent years, but Collins is a can't-miss.

6. New York Jets: Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: The waiting game ends for Mariota at No. 6. The theory that defensive-minded first-year head coaches don't tend to like quarterbacks in the first round is just wrong. John Harbaugh (defense/special teams) took Joe Flacco with his first pick, Rex Ryan (defense) traded up for Mark Sanchez, and Mike Smith (defense) grabbed Matt Ryan. Todd Bowles may be an expert on D, but the Jets go for the big splash with Mariota. This is a polite and mild-mannered kid, and there will be questions as to whether he'll be devoured by the New York media, but I think he'll be fine on that end.

7. Chicago Bears: La'el Collins, OT, LSU: With a new front office and coaching staff, I'm not 100 percent certain Jay Cutler will be the quarterback come Week 1 next season. Let's assume he is. If that's the case, I'd think Chicago would look to protect him. The Bears defense was an eyesore in 2014, but the pass protection wasn't much better. Chicago struck gold a few years back with Kyle Long in the first round. Add Collins to the line, and there's another five-star talent setting up the offense for success. A four-year starter at LSU, Collins can play right away. His build and surprisingly nifty foot speed gives him the edge over a few others in a strong offensive tackle class.

8. Atlanta Falcons: Alvin "Bud" Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky: The pass rush was invisible, yet again, for the Falcons in 2014. The defense -- which was hyped as rebuilt and rejuvenated after big free-agent money was spent on Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson -- was poor. I had Khalil Mack pegged as a top-five pick the second I saw him destroy Ohio State (and now Colts) offensive tackle Jack Mewhort last September. Back in October, I tweeted that Dupree was going in the top 10. That could, of course, change between now and the draft, but the local boy from Irwinton, Ga., is a 6-4, 270-pounder who has put on 15 pounds over the last few years and is ready for the next level. Teams don’t take a pass rusher in the top 10 unless he’s an awfully special talent. I believe Dupree is just that.

9. New York Giants: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville: Could the Giants really take another wide receiver in the first round? Why not? The offense was really starting to click under Ben McAdoo in the final weeks of the season, and we saw what worked best for McAdoo in Green Bay: a plethora of options for his quarterback. The Giants have needs on the offensive line and in the defensive backfield, but general manager Jerry Reese tends to take playmakers with his first-round picks. Parker is electric, has better size than Amari Cooper and could have been a Day 2 pick in 2014. This may shock the world, but adding Parker to a wide receiver crop that includes Odell Beckham Jr., Reuben Randle and a seemingly healthy Victor Cruz could put Eli Manning in position for another playoff run in 2015.

10. St. Louis Rams: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford: Nothing flashy from the Rams; just another offensive lineman who could help protect a (hopefully) rehabilitated Sam Bradford. Greg Robinson was forced into the tackle spot a season ago and played admirably. With Peat in the mix, Robinson could either move back to guard or man the other end. If Marcus Mariota slips to 10 -- which I think is possible -- St. Louis will have to think long and hard about choosing him.

11. Minnesota Vikings: Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa: The future is bright in Minnesota, as Teddy Bridgewater and Anthony Barr both appeared to be home run selections in the first round a year ago. There are issues on the offensive line, and a rash of injuries didn't help. Adding Scheff, a big boy with a mean streak who'd fit in wonderfully in NFC North cold-weather environments, would be a solid, though not flashy, move.

12. Cleveland Browns: Dante Fowler Jr., OLB, Florida: I'm a big Fowler Jr. fan and think he'd be a good fit in an already solid Cleveland defense. Karlos Dansby, Paul Kruger and Barkevious Mingo aren't going anywhere, and Fowler Jr. could end up being the best of the bunch at the next level. A roving front-seven guy who could line up either on the line or at linebacker, Fowler was a big-time performer who excelled on a bad Florida team the past few years. Mike Pettine likes tough guys who bring it on every down, and that's Fowler Jr. Good fit here.

13. New Orleans Saints: Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson: The Saints roster will change dramatically this offseason due to the highest salary cap number in the league and a host of veterans set to make north of $10 million next year. All things being equal, they could use another pass rusher off the edge. The pass rush wasn't what it was in 2013, and after Cam Jordan and Junior Gallette, the cupboard was awfully bare last season. Beasley was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2014 and possesses an electric first step. I've had scouts rave to me about him as a pro prospect. Good fit in Rob Ryan's 3-4.

14. Miami Dolphins: Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington: Thompson will be a first-round pick. The question is just where he'll go in that first round. He could be a top 10 selection or a bottom-third guy. I think a good landing spot is Miami, where the 6-foot-2, 230 pound defensive playmaker could join a promising young defense already on the upswing. Thompson looks like a safety at times because of his playmaking ability and size, but so does Lavante David, and he's a perennial All-Pro consideration in Tampa.

15. San Francisco 49ers: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia: Some folks around the league like White more than Parker, and a few believe he could be even better than Cooper. I dig him, too, though he is a bit of a one-year wonder. A 6-3 junior college transfer with good NFL speed, he ended the season with 109 catches for 1,457 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2014. A big target with athletic features, White could be a key cog in the Jim Tomsula era.

16. Houston Texans: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington: The Houston Texans got next to nothing from their first- and third-round picks -- Jadeveon Clowney and Louis Nix III -- a season ago and still won nine games. Adding another big boy, a defensive tackle like Shelton, would help against the run and give J.J. Watt a chance to do his thing on the outside with even greater success. I'd expect Clowney and Nix to be back in the lineup next year, but regardless of their health Shelton is viewed as a first-round defensive tackle prospect and could rise into the top 10 with a big Senior Bowl performance this week. A high school state champion shot putter, Shelton is a gifted athlete who could be this year's Dontari Poe, rocketing up everyone's boards.

17. San Diego Chargers: Shane Ray, OLB, Missouri: There are few athletes in this draft like Ray. Scouts say he can run a 4.4 40-yard dash, and at 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, he has the right size to play the outside spot in a John Pagano defense. He had 14.5 sacks last season in the SEC, where offensive lines are loaded with pro talent. Great snag for San Diego at 17.

18. Kansas City Chiefs: Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State: You know the statistic. You have heard it a million times. Alex Smith didn't complete a touchdown pass to a receiver in 2014. Part of that was the way the offense operated, but part of it was on the wideouts. So Andy Reid and John Dorsey go out and get themselves one. At 6-3, 220, Strong has the physical build and the hands. I'm told he's still a little raw, but that the potential is limitless.

19. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State: The run on wideouts continues as the Browns find some insurance in case Josh Gordon's future with the team goes awry. They love what they have in Andrew Hawkins and got production out of undrafted rookie Taylor Gabriel, but Smith -- a local talent -- could be a star. An NFL scout told me that Smith's performance in Ohio State's final three games was even more impressive than the show put on by celebrated quarterback Cardale Jones. A 6-foot-1, 200 pound specimen, Smith isn't listed as a first-round pick in many of the mock drafts I've seen thus far. That doesn't add up with what I'm hearing.

20. Philadelphia Eagles: Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State: With his first pick as the man running the draft for Philadelphia, you might expect coach Chip Kelly to do something eccentric or outside the box. I think he does what's best for his team and gets a starting cornerback. Waynes was a favorite of NFL scouts all year and should be a no-brainer top-20 selection.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma: DGB could be the biggest wild card in the draft. Great potential on the field, red flags galore off of it. Cincinnati lacked the depth at receiver late in the season to compete with the Colts when A.J. Green went down with a concussion in the wild-card round. Marvin Jones should be back and healthy next season, but DGB could be the guy at 21.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State: Goldman is a 6-3 physical specimen who looks a lot quicker on his feet than a typical 320-pound man. The Steelers could see a bit of turnover coming on the defensive side of the ball, and I wouldn't be shocked to see them load up on younger talent this offseason. Goldman isn't a sack machine, but he's a run stuffer who can get to the quarterback as a 3-4 end.

23. Detroit Lions: Mario Edwards, Jr., DE, Florida State: Back to back Seminoles. The Lions could be looking to fill two spots at defensive tackle in April, with both Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley expected to hit free agency in March. I can't see the Lions letting Suh sign anywhere else after his 2014 season -- pay him whatever he wants! -- and regardless of whether he is there, I like the thought of Edwards on that defensive line. A 6-foot-3, 295 pound defensive end, Edwards can get to the quarterback off the edge. He'll shed weight and can fly.

24. Arizona Cardinals: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin: The Cardinals finished 31st in the league in rushing yards in 2014. Bruce Arians is well aware that the offense hit the skids down the stretch and needed a few more playmakers. No running back was taken in the first round in either of the last two drafts, but I can't see Gordon -- a potential Jamaal Charles clone -- slipping past Arizona at 24. Multiple scouts have told me that they have Gordon listed as a first rounder -- the ultimate compliment for a player at his position.

25. Carolina Panthers: T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh: Clemmings might be the most athletic tackle in this draft class. The 6-foot-5, 310 pound tackle isn't a road paver, per se, but he has great footwork and fluidity. He needs some work on the technical aspects of the game, but can contribute during his rookie season. Carolina's offensive line was a mess before hitting its stride in the season's final month. The unit could use a top-flight talent like Cummings.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon: The Ravens could have an interesting offseason, with several veteran performers set to hit free agency. Armstead is an intriguing prospect because of his versatility. Often compared to Cardinals star Calais Campbell, Armstead can play either the 3-technique or the 5-technique and performed at a high level for a great Oregon team. At 6-foot-8, 290 pounds, the sky is the limit for Armstead with good coaching. He'll find that in Baltimore.

27. Dallas Cowboys: Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State: With the impact we've seen in recent years from C.J. Mosley and Luke Kuechly, any stigma around selecting an inside linebacker in the first round should be erased. The Dallas defense could need defensive back help more than at linebacker, but if McKinney slips to 27, I'll be shocked if the Cowboys let him pass on by. Sean Lee will be back next season, and Dallas got solid production from his replacements this year, but McKinney is a potential 10-year starter in the league, too. A 6-5, 250-pound tackling machine could be a good fit.

28. Denver Broncos: Nate Orchard, DE, Utah: Denver is another team with big questions in free agency. Regardless of what happens there and what defense the Broncos run, an additional young pass rusher could not hurt. Orchard is a gamer. He got to Utah as a receiver, put on the necessary muscle and weight and became one of the nation's top pass rushers the past two seasons. He’s not an overly physical player, but hehas a good instinct and ability to get to the quarterback.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington: Vontae Davis and Greg Toler were arguably the best cornerback duo during the regular season, though they didn't get nearly the national recognition as the combos in New England and Seattle received. Peters would be a nice addition to an already good defensive backfield. Skill-wise, Peters could be the top corner in this draft. But there are some red flags, as he was dismissed from the team after arguing with assistant coaches in November. Some teams may shy away from that; others will like the edge. He's a first-round pick.

30. Green Bay Packers: Jake Fisher, OT/OG, Oregon: Fisher's absence from the Oregon lineup was felt during the regular season, and he performed extremely well against good Ohio State and Florida State defensive lines in the College Football Playoff. He can play on the left side, which will help come draft time. Fisher is a tough guy, and at 6-6, 300, I could see him fitting in with one of the tightest offensive lines in the league.

31. New England Patriots: Hau'oli Kikaha, DE, Washington: A pure edge pass rusher, Kikaha had 15.5 sacks and shattered Washington pass rushing records in his time at Washington. He missed nearly two seasons due to ACL tears, but injuries haven't scared Bill Belichick in the past (see Dominique Easley). The medical examinations will be huge. If he checks out, he's a first rounder.

32. Seattle Seahawks: Nelson Algohor, WR, USC: Pete Carroll dips into the USC cookie jar and gets the latest star wideout from his old school. Algohor gave up the opportunity to put up huge numbers with Cody Kessler next season to enter the draft, and it'll be worth it if he ends up in Seattle with Russell Wilson. Algohor caught 104 balls and had 12 touchdowns last season. His game is fairly polished. I like him in the late first or early second round come April.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't hate that pick but I think we could do better. One guy who I think fell off the radar after coming into the season as a very touted prospect is Michael Bennett. I think he had a slow start to the year because Ohio St. had him playing alot of 1 technique but they freed him up more to play the 3 as the year went on and started to produce.

In 2013 he had 11 TFL and 7.5 sacks I believe, this year he had 14 TFL and 7 sacks along with several forced fumbles. He is basically a perfect fit in the Warren Sapp, 3 technique mold with his short yet explosive build and quick feet. I realize that we have Crawford playing that role right now but I think this guy is too perfect of a fit to pass up if he's there at 27 (he should be since I don't think there will be many clamoring for a 290ish lb DT in the 1st).

He comes in and immediately upgrades our pass rush in sub-packages next to Crawford and is part of a rotation on the DL. He won't start but I think he could have enough of an impact as a pass-rusher alone.

Carp

DCC 4Life
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
January 19, 2015 12:06 am ET

Entering Senior Bowl week, quarterback is the overwhelming favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, either Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota. And if that happens, the Tennessee Titans at No. 2 would have the chance to draft the quarterback remaining on the board. However, the Titans might prefer to stick with Zach Mettenberger as the starter for 2015, choosing instead to address another need on the roster, like pass rusher. That scenario becomes increasingly likely if Winston goes No. 1 as Mariota isn't an ideal fit for Ken Whisenhunt's offense in Tennessee.

*The top-30 draft order is official and picks 31 and 32 will be determined based on the outcome of Super Bowl XLIX between the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – QB Jameis Winston , Florida State
The last time Tampa had the rights to the No. 1 overall pick, the franchise drafted a quarterback (Vinny Testaverde in 1987) and it seems likely that the Buccaneers will go a similar direction with the top pick this spring. Winston has off-field red flags, but on the field, he has the physical and mental make-up to be the best player in this draft class.

2. Tennessee Titans – DE/OLB Randy Gregory, Nebraska
Despite quarterback looking like a need on the roster, the Titans seem willing to give 2014 rookie Zach Mettenberger a full season to be the starter. If Tennessee passes on a passer and goes best player available, that might lead them to Gregory, who could take over for Derrick Morgan as a stand-up rush end in Ray Horton's 3-4 defense.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars – DT Leonard Williams, USC
Jacksonville has drafted offense in the top-five (OT Luke Joeckel, QB Blake Bortles) in the first two years of the David Caldwell era so the Jaguars' focus turns to defense this year. Williams has terrific movement skills and natural power to be a disruptive force, inside or outside, in Gus Bradley's scheme.

4. Oakland Raiders – WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
Last year's second round pick Derek Carr has done more than enough as a rookie to earn another year as the Raiders' starter, but he needs help, especially at receiver. Cooper doesn't have the size or speed of pass-catchers usually found in the top-five, but he knows how to do the two most important things at the position: get open and finish catches.

5. Washington Redskins – DE/OLB Dante Fowler, Florida
With Brian Orakpo set to hit free agency, pass rusher will be high on the Redskins' wish list. Fowler projects best to the NFL as a stand-up edge rusher, using his relentless energy to be effective disrupting the pocket.

6. New York Jets – QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
The Jets will have a fresh look in 2015 with a new general manager (Mike Maccagnan) and head coach (Todd Bowles). And if Mariota is still on the board at No. 6, the Jets will have a chance to add a promising young passer as well.

7. Chicago Bears – DE Shane Ray, Missouri
It would be a surprise if this pick isn't defense as the Bears need help at every level on that side of the ball. Ray has the best first step burst in the draft and gives Chicago an exciting pass rusher to develop.

8. Atlanta Falcons – DE/OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
Without a coaching staff in place, it's tough to peg this pick for the Falcons. But if Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is the next head coach in Atlanta, Beasley could provide a young building block for his defense as a hybrid pass rusher.

9. New York Giants – OT Andrus Peat, Stanford
The Giants have invested high draft picks on the offensive line in recent years and could go in that direction again if New York plans to make Will Beatty a June 1st cut. Peat has some wrinkles to iron out, but the coordinated body control and potential are top-10 pick worthy.

10. St. Louis Rams – OT T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh
The Rams addressed the offensive line early in the first round last year, drafting Greg Robinson second overall, but with Joseph Barksdale set for pay day this off-season as a free agent, the Rams might have a need at right tackle. Clemmings is a mauler who continues to develop and get better.

11. Minnesota Vikings – WR DeVante Parker, Louisville
So far the Cordarrelle Patterson experiment in Minnesota has been a disappointment. And while the Vikings shouldn't (and won't) give up on him just yet, there is still a need for a potential No. 1 receiver for Bridgewater. And Parker, Bridgewater's former teammate at Louisville), fills that need.

12. Cleveland Browns – WR Kevin White, West Virginia
Who knows how much longer Josh Gordon will last in Cleveland, which is why wide receiver could be a possibility in the first round for the Browns. White is dynamic with the ball in the air, using his tracking ability and strong hands to attack the ball and come down with it.

13. New Orleans Saints – OG Brandon Scherff, Iowa
While the Saints don't normally use first round picks on offensive linemen, the franchise needs to keep Drew Brees healthy as his career winds down. Scherff could step in from day one if either Ben Grubbs or Jahri Evans doesn't return to New Orleans next season and also kick out and help at tackle if needed.

14. Miami Dolphins – OL La'el Collins, LSU
The Dolphins went offensive tackle in the first round last year and could address the position again next spring, especially with Branden Albert's injury history. It doesn't always look pretty, but Collins gets the job done with experience at both tackle and guard.

15. San Francisco 49ers – DT Danny Shelton, Washington
Defensive line is a need for the Niners and Shelton provides San Francisco and new head coach Jim Tomsula a versatile option at several positions up front.

16. Houston Texans – CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
In two years at Penn State, Bill O'Brien never faced Michigan State, but you can bet he will be well familiar with the Spartans' talented cornerback by next spring. While he does get in trouble free lancing at times, Waynes has the height, length and athleticism that NFL teams value at the position to best match-up with the tall trees at wide receiver at the pro level.

17. San Diego Chargers – SS Landon Collins, Alabama
San Diego has one of the NFL's best free safeties in Eric Weddle, but the strong safety position could use an upgrade. Collins is a terrific box safety and flies around the field like a heat-seeking missile.

18. Kansas City Chiefs – LB Shaq Thompson, Washington
The Chiefs are set on the edges at linebacker, but have some questions in the middle where Derrick Johnson is coming off a major injury at 32 years old. Thompson moved between linebacker and running back this season, but shows first round tools with his athleticism and physical nature and might fit with Kansas City as a weakside inside linebacker.

19. Cleveland Browns (from BUF) – DL Malcom Brown, Texas
Cleveland had trouble stopping the run in 2014 and desperately need to address the defensive line this offseason. Brown has a great mix of quickness, power and versatility to be an instant contributor for Mike Pettine's defense.

20. Philadelphia Eagles – CB Marcus Peters, Washington
Would Chip Kelly really draft a player who was dismissed from school due to coachability issues? I think he would, if he believes the player won't be a problem moving forward. Who knows if Peters will be able to keep his head on straight, but his talent is top-10 worthy, potentially giving the Eagles a steal with him this late.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – DT Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma
Some will argue that Domata Peko hasn't played up to his recent contract extension, but regardless, the Bengals could use interior depth. Phillips has terrific movement skills for his size and will overwhelm blockers in the run game.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers – DE/OLB Bud Dupree, Kentucky
With Jason Worilds expected to sign elsewhere in free agency, the Steelers will be looking for a young pass rusher to groom in the draft. A former tight end, Dupree is still raw in certain areas, but the natural athleticism is outstanding.

23. Detroit Lions – DT Eddie Goldman, Florida State
With Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley expected to hit free agency, the Lions will be in the market for interior defensive line depth next off-season. Goldman had a breakout junior season for the Seminoles and was the unsung hero on that defense.

24. Arizona Cardinals – RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
If I were a betting man, my guess is no running back is drafted in the first round, but this is a spot that could make some sense. Arizona has struggled to find a consistent option, something Gordon could potentially give the Cardinals' offense.

25. Carolina Panthers – OT Ereck Flowers, Miami
The Panthers need offensive line help in the worst way and unless they address the position in free agency, tackle is the favorite to be the pick here. This pick had been Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi, but he will likely fall out of the first round due to his ACL tear, making Flowers a possibility for Carolina.

26. Baltimore Ravens – DL Arik Armstead, Oregon
Defensive line might not be the Ravens' top need, but Armstead might be too much of a value for Baltimore at this point in the first round. The Oregon defensive lineman is a versatile athlete with a very high ceiling.

27. Dallas Cowboys – DB Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)
With Orlando Scandrick being the only cornerback guaranteed a roster spot on the Cowboys for 2015, Dallas needs secondary help in the draft. After four years on the basketball court, Rollins impressed in his one season on the football field with seven interceptions and could elevate his draft stock into the late first round.

28. Denver Broncos – TE Maxx Williams, Minnesota
The top-three tight ends on the Broncos depth chart are all free agents, including Julius Thomas who the Broncos might not be able to retain. If that is the case, Denver could look to the draft for his replacement and Williams has the talent to warrant a first round selection.

29. Indianapolis Colts – WR Jaelen Strong, Arizona State
Never thought I'd put a wide receiver here, but if Reggie Wayne retires, wideout is a legitimate option for Indy, depending on what the Colts do in free agency. Hakeem Nicks is doubtful to return and while Donte Moncrief and T.Y. Hilton offer a solid 1-2 punch, Strong would give Luck even more options, especially in the red zone.

30. Green Bay Packers – ILB Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State
The linebacker crew in Green Bay has been an inconsistent group for much of this season, making the position a possibility in the first round next year. While I have McKinney graded outside of the draft's top-50 picks, NFL scouts disagree and believe he will be drafted this high.

31. Seattle Seahawks – WR Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
The Seahawks addressed the wide receiver position twice with their top four draft picks last year, but could look to add another wideout in the first round next year if an impact prospect is available. Green-Beckham has a number of off-field red flags, but the reward might out-weight the risk for a team like the Seahawks in the late first round.

32. New England Patriots – WR Devin Funchess, Michigan
The Patriots' window with Tom Brady at quarterback is shrinking by the snap and the organization shouldn't hesitate to add more weapons around him. Funchess needs to be more consistent at the catch point, but his size/length/athleticism combination will draw comparisons to Alshon Jeffery.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
27. Marcus Peters CB
Alternate1: Quinten Rollins CB
Alternate2: PJ Williams CB

Carp

DCC 4Life
Arik Armstead is a guy I am keeping an eye on. For his size I was really impressed with his speed and agility.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Draft Ace
2015 NFL Mock Draft
Updated January 19

1. Buccaneers – Jameis Winston – QB – Florida State – Scouting Report
In terms of physical tools, Winston is clearly the surperior quarterback in this class—the best since Luck and RG3, in fact. If the Bucs pass him over, Winston can only blame his own lack of maturity. But when a quarterback shows as up much potential as Winston, a lot can be overlooked.

2. Titans – Randy Gregory – DE – Nebraska – Scouting Report
The Winston debate continues at No. 2, as the Titans could roll the dice. But Zach Mettenberger showed some promise, so there’s no reason to gamble if they aren’t completely confident in Winston. Gregory has the tools to be an elite pass-rusher and should excel in Ray Horton’s defense.

3. Jaguars – Amari Cooper – WR – Alabama – Scouting Report
jaguars_newThere’s no way to sugarcoat it, Blake Bortles was terrible. But he played on an offense that featured exactly three players who earned positive grades from PFF (and one was a fullback). The Jaguars have to surround him with as much talent as possible this offseason.

4. Raiders – Leonard Williams – DE – USC – Scouting Report
You can’t rule anything out when it comes to the Raiders, but I would assume Derek Carr has shown enough to make the Raiders pass on Winston. If Cooper is off the board, the Raiders have to settle for the best available defensive prospect. A case could be made for a few prospects, but Williams is the consensus top available in this scenario.

5. Redskins – Shane Ray – DE – Missouri – Scouting Report
The Redskins pass-rush isn’t their most glaring weakness on defense, but they can’t afford to get picky. The enter defense needs to be overhauled and that process should start with this selection. Ray is the best available defensive player on the board and he’ll be an impact edge-rusher immediately.

6. Jets – Marcus Mariota – QB – Oregon – Scouting Report
This is the worst-case scenario for Mariota—and I’m not referring to him falling to No. 6, I’m referring to the team. He’ll struggle in New York if he’s thrown into the same dysfunctional situation that destroyed Geno Smith. If the Jets go this direction, hopefully they have a plan for 2015 that doesn’t involve Mariota being thrown into the fire.

7. Bears - Vic Beasley – LB – Clemson – Scouting Report
The Bears aren’t in a position to fix their frustrating quarterback situation, so they should settle for landing one of the top pass-rushers in this class. Between Beasley, Ray, Gregory and Fowler, someone will be the on the board. And if not, Landon Collins would be a nice backup plan.

8. Falcons – Dante Fowler Jr. – DE – Florida – Scouting Report
Thomas Dmitroff has left the Falcons with almost no talent on the defensive side of the ball, and it ended up costing Mike Smith his job. Fowler is similar to Beasley due to the fact that they’re somewhat one-dimensional pass-rushers at this stage of their careers, but talent are there to build upon.

9. Giants – Landon Collins – SS – Alabama
The Giants have been playing without a true strong safety for a number of years, having used Antrel Rolle, Quintin Demps, Stevie Brown, Deon Grant and others. With Collins sitting on the board it’s the opportune time to finally address the situation. This feels like a perfect blend of value and need.

10. Rams – Kevin White – WR – West Virginia – Scouting Report
With a few minor improvements on offense, the Rams could probably plug in a decent veteran quarterback and become a playoff contender. If that’s the strategy they choose, a big playmaker on the outside who can win 50/50 battles like Kevin White would be the idea first-round target. An argument can be made that he’s more likely to have immediate success than Cooper.

11. Vikings – DeVante Parker – WR – Louisville – Scouting Report
I’ve compared Parker to Randy Moss, so it would be fitting to see him land in Minnesota. Parker has the speed to be a legitimate deep threat but also the size to win the battle for jump balls. It’s a rare combination, and one that Moss had as well. His addition would certainly aid in the development of Bridgewater.

12. Browns – T.J. Clemmings – OT – Pittsburgh
The Browns offense will be build around the run game next year, so they would be wise to find an upgrade over Mitchell Schwartz at right tackle. Clemmings would also solidify a pass-blocking unit that could potentially rank among the best in the game with a upgrade here.

13. Saints – Trae Waynes – CB – Michigan State
Trae Waynes is among the most physically gifted athletes in this class and may end up being viewed as a better prospect than former teammate Darqueze Dennard. Saints cornerbacks combined for PFF grade of -38.1 (second worst in NFL), so some changes are definitely coming in the secondary.

14. Dolphinss – Brandon Scherff – OT – Iowa – Scouting Report
Despite playing left tackle at Iowa, Brandon Scherff could be this year’s Zach Martin, and make an immediate impact by shifing inside to guard. The Dolphins have Branden Albert and Ja’Wuan James set as their tackles for next season, but the line still needs some work.

15. 49ers – Jaelen Strong – WR – Arizona State – Scouting Report
The 49ers added depth but got very little production from their supposedly improved receiving corps in 2014. Strong is a notch below the top receivers in this class, but has the skill set to make an immediate impact. He’s a big target who can also break free down the field, providing the 49ers with a much-needed depth threat.

16. Texans – Andrus Peat – OT – Stanford – Scouting Report
Duane Brown will continue to lock down the left side in Houston, but the right side has been an issue in recent years. Peat is a little overrated in my opinion, but upside due to his strength and athleticism is obvious. Right tackle in Houston would be a nice place for him to fit in without having to be viewed as a savior to a struggling offensive line.

17. Chargers – Marcus Peters – CB – Washington
By being dismissed from Washington, Peters’ put his first-round grade in jeopardy, but there’s a good chance someone will gamble on his upside. He’s a physical player, capable of being a true shutdown corner at the next level. Brandon Flowers is on a one-year deal, so this will likely be a major need in San Diego for the second straight year.

18. Chiefs – Shaq Thompson – LB – Washington – Scouting Report
The return of Derrick Johnson will help, but the Chiefs need to add depth at linebacker and start thinking about the future. Johnson is 32 years old, coming off a season-ending injury, with one year remaining on his contract. Thompson isn’t nearly has physical as Johnson, but he is a true sideline-to-sideline defender with elite athleticism.

19. Browns – Benardrick McKinney – LB – Mississippi St – Scouting Report
I’ve had the Browns and McKinney matched up for awhile now. They need to upgrade their run defense, and McKinney would be a great addition playing next to Karlos Dansby. He’s a physical player who can plug holes and has some versatility as a pass-rusher as well.

20. Eagles – Devin Funchess – TE/WR – Michigan – Scouting Report
Another weapon for Chip Kelly. The Eagles throw the ball downfield more than any team in the league, but the lack a guy who can go up and win the 50/50 balls consistently. Funchess could be a dangerous weapon as a hybrid tight end/receiver in Kelly’s system.

21. Bengals – Dorial Green-Beckham – Oklahoma – Scouting Report
DGB is a top-10 talent with an undraftable character. But talent trumps all, especially in Cincinnati. Andy Dalton is frustrating, but he certainly has the tools to succeed with A.J. Green and DGB lined up on the outside. Given the Bengals inability to get over the hump, I think it makes sense to swing for the fences with this selection.

22. Steelers – Danny Shelton – DT – Washington – Scouting Report
The Steelers defensive relies heavily on the big bodies up front, and it was a weakness of the unit in 2014. Shelton could be a significant upgrade over Cam Thomas, who rotates between lining up as an end and on the inside in place of Steve McLendon.

23. Lions – Michael Bennett – DT – Ohio State – Scouting Report
Ndamukong Suh is a free agent and Nick Fairley, while playing well lately, has been inconsistent. Adding depth on the interior line is definitely a priority, and it becomes a critical one if Suh signs elsewhere. Bennett would be an ideal replacement for Suh, but could play next to him as well. He’s a an interior pass-rush threat, but has developed into a more well-rounded lineman this past season.

24. Cardinals – Ereck Flowers – OT – Miami FL
Bobby Massie made some strides this year, but I’ve believed since he was in college that his pro position is at guard. The Cardinals need to make this pick about immediate value, and Flowers can help protect Carson Palmer at right tackle in 2015.

25. Panthers – Bud Dupree – DE – Kentucky – Scouting Report
The Panthers need to find someone to play opposite Charles Johnson. 2014 2nd-round pick Kony Ealy has potential, but he’s more of a one-dimensional pass-rusher. Dupree has the potential to become a true three-down lineman, much like Greg Hardy, who he would be replacing.

26. Ravens – Eli Harold – DE/LB – Virginia
Ozzie Newsome’s philosophy is generally to target the best available player, especially if he’s a pass-rusher. There should be plenty of options in that category this year, regardless of how the draft plays out. Harold could be groomed behind Terrell Suggs and used immediately to add some depth at linebacker.

27. Cowboys – Malcolm Brown – DT – Texas
The Cowboys have to replace Nick Hayden, who has been a weak link on the defensive line all season. Hayden plays in a rotation, primarily being used against the run. Brown is a better fit for this role as a run defender, and would pair nicely with Henry Melton and Tyrone Crawford who are their primary interior pass-rushers.

28. Broncos –Cedric Ogbuehi – OT – Texas A&M – Scouting Report
Moving Orlando Franklin to guard solved one problem but opened up another. The revolving door of right tackles in Denver needs to be fixed, and Ogbuehi has the potential to be an upgrade. This position could be addressed in free agency, but if they wait until the draft it should be high on their priority list in the first round.

29. Colts - Cameron Erving – C – Florida State
Erving’s stock was plummeting before a late-season switch to center. But he’s on the rise again and looks like the top prospect at the position. The Colts have had a revolving door at center since Luck joined the squad. It’s time to solidify the position with a guy they can build the line around.

30. Packers - Maxx Williams – TE – Minnesota
Aaron Rodgers consistently went to Richard Rodgers in big spots during Green Bay’s playoff run, highlighting the need for a reliable tight end in this offense. Rodgers is a nice piece, but he lacks the explosive playmaking ability Jermichael Finley provided the offense a few years ago. Williams is more of a Gronkowski type than a Finley, but still a massive upgrade for the Packers offense.

31. Patriots - Lorenzo Mauldin – DE/LB – Louisville – Scouting Report
sMauldin hasn’t received enough attention for his pass-rush ability. He may be one-dimensional early in his career, but his athleticism to give the Patriots another weapon to incorporate on defense. The potential to put Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins and Mauldin on the field at the same time is intriguing, and a scary thought for opposing quarterbacks.

32. Seahawks – La’el Collins – OT – LSU – Scouting Report
The Seahawks offensive line terribly underachieved this year. They need an upgrade, possibly at right tackle or either guard position. Collins fits the profile of the typical oversized lineman they prefer, and could play tackle or guard.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would be stoked with Brown at 27.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
White over Cooper was a surprise I thought...Shelton keeps rising.
Yeah, they have to throw an eyebrow raiser in there otherwise they are all the same.

I was referring to the totality of his top 50. All in all, there were not many players there that I have not seen on similar lists.

As for Shelton, while I like the player, even I wouldn't have him as the fifth best guy. He's a beast, but this week he has shown some signs that he has trouble handling the point as a true 3-4 type nose and that might hurt him a bit.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Shelton isnt a schematic fit for us nor will he last. Players like this just drop our type of players down to our pick, which I like.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
White isn't even the third best receiver in this class. Cooper, Parker, Coates in that order

Carp

DCC 4Life
White isn't even the third best receiver in this class. Cooper, Parker, Coates in that order
Coates has not had a good week...reports were he was not good with his routes. I like Strong better than him.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Coates has not had a good week...reports were he was not good with his routes. I like Strong better than him.
Don't know much about Strong or anything Arizona State for that matter. I'll have to look more into it. Is he a projected first rounder?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Don't know much about Strong or anything Arizona State for that matter. I'll have to look more into it. Is he a projected first rounder?
Yeah...seen him anywhere from 20 into the 2nd round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have seen White rated well ahead of Parker and especially Coates.

Not where I would put him, but just sayin'.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mock draft 1.0: Mariota falls in first round

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: Jan. 26, 2015 at 01:50 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 26, 2015 at 01:58 p.m.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
Winston is the most NFL-ready quarterback in the draft. He is a nice fit in Dirk Koetter's quick-rhythm passing game.

2. Tennessee Titans -- Leonard Williams, DE, USC
Williams is a dominant defender capable of playing anywhere along the defensive front.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska
Gus Bradley would love to have an athletic freak to use as a hybrid playmaker in the Jaguars' defense.

4. Oakland Raiders -- Shane Ray, DE, Missouri
Ray is an energetic pass rusher with a knack for getting to the quarterback off the edge.

5. Washington Redskins -- Landon Collins, SS, Alabama
Collins is a ball hawk with the instincts and awareness to shut down the middle of the field.

6. New York Jets -- Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
The Jets need to add an explosive weapon to the passing game. Cooper is a classic WR1 with speed, burst and ball skills to dominate on the perimeter.

7. Chicago Bears -- Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington
Thompson would be the ideal replacement for Lance Briggs at the WILL linebacker spot in a 4-3 defense.

8. Atlanta Falcons -- Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
Beasley would give the Falcons an explosive rusher to upgrade their sagging defense.

9. New York Giants -- Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
The Giants want to upgrade their offensive line with big, physical bodies on the edges. Scherff is a sound technician with strength to handle aggressive edge rushers.

10. St. Louis Rams -- Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams love athletic cover corners with swagger and attitude.

11. Minnesota Vikings -- T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh
Surrounding Bridgewater with another athletic pass protector would foster his development as a polished pocket passer.

12. Cleveland Browns -- Danny Shelton, NT, Washington
Mike Pettine's affinity for defensive players makes the addition of a rock-solid defensive tackle a sensible pick for the Browns.

13. New Orleans Saints -- Dante Fowler, Jr., OLB, Florida
Rob Ryan could tap into Fowler's versatility as an edge rusher to help solve the Saints’ defensive woes.

14. Miami Dolphins -- Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
The Dolphins need a complementary cover corner to fill out a secondary that features a stud in Brent Grimes.

15. San Francisco 49ers -- Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
The 49ers' receiving corps is loaded with big-bodied pass catchers, but the lack of speed could make White the ideal fit at this point.

16. Houston Texans -- DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
With Andre Johnson nearing the end of his career, the Texans could opt for the sure-handed Parker as a successor.

17. San Diego Chargers -- Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
The Florida State standout would give the Chargers a hulking presence in the middle.

18. Kansas City Chiefs -- Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Given Andy Reid's reputation for developing quarterbacks, Kansas City would be the ideal spot for Mariota to grow into a franchise player.

19. Cleveland Browns -- Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State
The Browns need to upgrade the receiving corps to give Johnny Manziel any chance of succeeding as the franchise quarterback.

20. Philadelphia Eagles -- Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
The Eagles need to shore up a secondary that surrendered too many big plays in the passing game.

21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
It's time for the Bengals to think about grooming a replacement for Andrew Whitworth. Peat is a technical marvel with outstanding feet and agility.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Malcom Brown, DT, Texas
The defense hasn't been the same without Casey Hampton. Brown is a rugged defensive tackle capable of owning the middle of the line.

23. Detroit Lions -- Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State
With Ndamukong Suh set to hit the free-agent market, the Lions need to find a suitable replacement along the line.

24. Arizona Cardinals -- Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State
Replacing Larry Foote with a young, athletic tackling machine would keep the Cardinals' defense plugging along at a high level.

25. Carolina Panthers -- La'el Collins, OT, LSU
It's time for GM Dave Gettleman to upgrade the protection around Cam Newton.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Gordon is a one-cut runner with the speed, quickness and burst to thrive in the Ravens' zone-based running game.

27. Dallas Cowboys -- Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky
The Cowboys desperately need a legitimate pass rushing threat off the edge.

28. Denver Broncos -- Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan
The possible departures of Julius Thomas and Demaryius Thomas could lead John Elway to take the Michigan standout.

29. Indianapolis Colts -- Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma
Character concerns could make this a dicey pick, but Green-Beckham would give Andrew Luck a dynamic WR1 to target.

30. Green Bay Packers -- Jordan Phillips, NT, Oklahoma
The Packers need to shore up their interior with a beefy playmaker like Phillips.

31. New England Patriots -- Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon
Armstead is a solid edge player adept at the playing the run or pursuing the quarterback off the corner.

32. Seattle Seahawks -- Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
The Seahawks could use a luxury pick on a Marshawn Lynch clone in Gurley. Although he could need a redshirt year to get fully healthy, the Georgia star could give Pete Carroll the power runner he covets to pound the ball between the tackles.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

D

Deuce

I feel confident that we would be getting the best player out of that round than all the divisional opponents.

Top Bottom