1st Round Pick: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

p1_

DCC 4Life
The moment I’m waiting for with Smith: the first time the Eagles have a 4th and short . You know, that fucking scrum shit they love to pull.
Smith on one side, Hankins next to him. Bring it on, bitches. Mano a mano.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We'll be lucky to get 10 or more games out of Hankins. Fatties are always pulling something.
Yeah, they’re gonna have to manage his snaps somewhat carefully.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We don't absolutely need one or the other on the field for every snap either. Let's say there's 70 snaps a game, we can probably easily go at least 20-25 snaps a game without either of them, so maybe 50 snaps that can be split amongst the two any which way.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
We don't absolutely need one or the other on the field for every snap either. Let's say there's 70 snaps a game, we can probably easily go at least 20-25 snaps a game without either of them, so maybe 50 snaps that can be split amongst the two any which way.
Over time, they’re saying they want to leverage what they see as pass rush ability with Smith too , so that will impact the packaging also . Fittin to get very interesting up inside the line with this upgrade .

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Over time, they’re saying they want to leverage what they see as pass rush ability with Smith too , so that will impact the packaging also . Fittin to get very interesting up inside the line with this upgrade .
Yea although even with him getting some pass rush reps here and there I still think you can easily find 20 or so a game without a true NT or Mazi on the field, which is why I'm not especially concerned about anybody getting worn down.

Even if it was just Mazi I think we'd be fine, it's just not ideal.

• Props

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea although even with him getting some pass rush reps here and there I still think you can easily find 20 or so a game without a true NT or Mazi on the field, which is why I'm not especially concerned about anybody getting worn down.

Even if it was just Mazi I think we'd be fine, it's just not ideal.
Just don’t let Gallimore is less get any significant time. I’m done with him. Bohanna had also better show something soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just don’t let Gallimore is less get any significant time. I’m done with him. Bohanna had also better show something soon.
Yea I think at least one, if not both of them will be gone before the opener.

Look at the current depth chart along the DL:

Pure DT's/interior players: Mazi, Hankins, Osa
Pure edges: Parsons, Fowler, Williams
Jumbo DE's/interior rushers: Lawrence, Armstrong, Golston, Fehoko

That's already 10 and then they have guys like McKinley and the UDFA edge rushers who could pop in camp who are floating around.

Not much more room.

• Props

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Slow day so I decided to watch a bit more Mazi, I've barely even settled in and the third play of the game shows exactly why I give approximately 0 fucks about his stats. If you look at the box score he had 0 TFL and 0 sacks in this game but this play is all him, while #32 OLB barely got pressure but had the QB run right into his lap, now imagine that instead of whoever the fuck #32 is, that's Parsons or Lawrence rushing off the edge.

• Props

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slow day so I decided to watch a bit more Mazi, I've barely even settled in and the third play of the game shows exactly why I give approximately 0 fucks about his stats. If you look at the box score he had 0 TFL and 0 sacks in this game but this play is all him, while #32 OLB barely got pressure but had the QB run right into his lap, now imagine that instead of whoever the fuck #32 is, that's Parsons or Lawrence rushing off the edge.

Yep, that sack is entirely about Mazi. I think he is going to give you more than just what you saw statistically in college. When I say he comps to Daron Payne, I absolutely think he does. Payne's last year at Alabama he had a grand total of 1 sack. Last year in the NFL he had 11.5 sacks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I am half way through the clip and he gradually gets more stalemates than wins. I have no idea who the right guard and center were from Purdue, but they were fighting him fairly well.

He certainly is capable of affecting the pocket and when he stunts you can see things in isolation that get clouded by the fact that he really doesn't have a lot of support.

He faced a lot of double teams and had problems beating two guys basically punching him the face, tackling him a couple of times. They also got him several times with one on one cut blocks where he did not react to protect his legs. But he did not take downs off.

That video did not show a lot of his skills against the run. That is what he would look like if we played him extensively, which I don't think will be the case.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am half way through the clip and he gradually gets more stalemates than wins. I have no idea who the right guard and center were from Purdue, but they were fighting him fairly well.

He certainly is capable of affecting the pocket and when he stunts you can see things in isolation that get clouded by the fact that he really doesn't have a lot of support.

He faced a lot of double teams and had problems beating two guys basically punching him the face, tackling him a couple of times. They also got him several times with one on one cut blocks where he did not react to protect his legs. But he did not take downs off.

That video did not show a lot of his skills against the run. That is what he would look like if we played him extensively, which I don't think will be the case.
Yea I mean most guys aren't gonna beat two guys to get to the passer. I saw him cause several "pileups" in the run game which is about what you expect run-stuffing NT's to do.

Across all the clips I watched I saw him doing plenty of dirty work, holding the POA and such allowing teammates to flow to the ball, if not shedding to make the play himself.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
550 max, that's insane.

I hope this defense stays healthy, gonna be a fun season.
Mazi and Parsons could form the decade-long core of a great defense. Maybe Diggs too, depending on how well he plays this year.

It starts though with those two, and of course Quinn.

Top Bottom