1st Round Pick: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Mazi and Parsons could form the decade-long core of a great defense. Maybe Diggs too, depending on how well he plays this year.

It starts though with those two, and of course Quinn.
Topped off with an opportunistic secondary, should make for some fun football.

I still wish they could have found another QB for the defense in case LVE gets hurt again...seems like we're gambling on his health too much.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I still wish they could have found another QB for the defense in case LVE gets hurt again...seems like we're gambling on his health too much.
I agree completely. We lack strong leadership outside of Parsons and maybe Lawrence, but D-Law is on his last legs

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Maybe Clark can work into that this year. It was too much last year with him being a rookie and missing all of offseason and camp and several games, but with all that this year he should know everything much better. He's supposedly a super hard worker.

But I totally agree, LVE is like Tyron, he will get hurt. It's just a matter of when.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Clark can work into that this year. It was too much last year with him being a rookie and missing all of offseason and camp and several games, but with all that this year he should know everything much better. He's supposedly a super hard worker.

But I totally agree, LVE is like Tyron, he will get hurt. It's just a matter of when.
I hope Overshown is as good as the team thinks he is. I like Clark a lot. But I can't shake this Cox feeling with Overshown. But some of these young guys are going to have to play now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Game Breakdown

Summary: I focused mostly on the pass rush reps because we already more or less know what he brings in the run game. He was 1st-team All-Big 10, played the vast majority of their snaps at NT and they were top 10 in the country in both YPC and YPG, he has some pad level issues to clean up here and there against the run but overall he's going to step in and be very good day 1.

How he develops as a pass rusher is what will make the difference between being a Pro Bowler/All Pro vs. simply a good starter, so that's where I wanted to focus. Overall, he has no idea what he's doing in terms of pass rush plan, counters or anything else, he's basically just trying to push guys off him and run at the QB, but the tools are clear as day.

The game where I really took note of him as a potential 1st rounder was Ohio St., which I watched live during the season, and my main takeaway was that he had rare lateral movement and closing burst once he has a runway for a 320+ lb. man. Going back and watching it again only confirmed that, and if you want to really get hyped on him, that's the clip to watch below.

Aside from that I was really impressed with his power against Avila. I watched a good amount of Avila since I'm of course also interested in him as a prospect and I didn't see anybody forklift him the way Mazi did at times.

Highlights (all times are based on the YouTube video, not the game clock):
  • 2:14 - holds POA vs. Wypler, easily sheds, gets in on tackle for 1-2 yard gain
  • 2:45 - not a whole lot to see here schematically/formationally but this sort of foot speed is very rare for someone 320+
  • 3:35 - shows off a bit of a push+pull that gives him a clean runway
  • 3:57 - murders the RG on 3rd and 5 and closes ridiculously fast for his size once he has a runway
  • 4:30 - kills Wypler with a crude hump move and forces the ball out a beat fast
  • 4:17 - beats Wypler clean with a push+pull, gets caught up with a teammate but I think Wypler may have also tugged at him
  • 4:41 - gets to Paris Johnson's edge, shows surprising bend and then fights through the RB for another quick pressure, very rare to see someone his size able to get to the upfield shoulder of an LT and start to flatten out
  • 8:06 - really good loop/twist on a stunt, again works through the edge of Paris Johnson and forces the QB off the spot
Other impressive plays: 2:34, 5:57, 7:06, 7:59

Highlights:
  • :13 - bull rushes RG straight back into Duggan, QB hit
  • :35 - forklifts Avila to the point that he has one leg off the ground, ball is out in 2 seconds but would've been a QB hit otherwise
  • 1:28 - beats Avila with a crude swim, has a runway within about 2 seconds but the ball is already out
  • 2:14 - knocks a RT 2-3 yards into the backfield on a reach block, directly into the RB's path
  • 4:00 - works through Avila's chest, knocks him back about a yard, sheds and finds the ball
  • 7:20 - kills the RG, bulls him 4-5 yards into the backfield and nearly puts him on the ground
Other impressive plays: :45, 5:55, 6:31

Highlights:
  • 1:37 - speaks for itself, he murders the LG and closes in a flash, the hit on the QB is visually jarring
  • 2:33 - beats the LG for immediate pressure, nobody else wins though so he has a clean pocket otherwise and can navigate around
  • 4:44 - impressive lateral agility on a loop/twist, again, rare for his size
  • 5:16 - beats the LG cleanly again, has a runway in under 2 seconds but the ball is out quick, likely QB hit
  • 5:35 - chases down a WR screen, rare change of direction and foot speed for his size
  • 7:58 - very impressive crash on a twist/stunt, opens up a huge lane for his teammate to loop around untouched
Other impressive plays: 3:00, 4:20, 4:58

Now, it's not all gumdrops and fairy tales, there are several plays where he gets rooted out of his gap vs. a double team or something along those lines, he has to improve his pad level a bit, but those are relatively easy technical fixes.

The bottom line is he's going to be really good against the run right off the bat while there is so much untapped potential as a pass rusher with his tools. If we can keep Quinn and the DL coach around for another 2-3 years I think this guy will eventually be a Pro Bowler.

Keep in mind, many of these reps came against Avila and Wypler, both of whom will be drafted tonight and are likely starters as rookies.

And that's why I do what I do, thank you and God bless.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

p1_

DCC 4Life
Inconsistencies Drop Mazi Smith Into the Second Round

March 12, 2023 | Daniel Kelly | Articles

What does an evaluator do with a prospect like Michigan’s defensive tackle (DT) Mazi Smith, who flashes first-round ability on game film?
Drop him to the second-round to help mitigate the risk.
There are some plays that are like “Wow,” and then there’s the Illinois game when he disappeared, and was a lot softer. There’s no excuse for this after he showed off his strength at the NFL Scouting Combine throwing up 34 reps (225 pounds).
While I do like Smith (337 pounds) a lot better than Eagles’ first-round DT Jordan Davis (336 pounds) in 2022, and Patriots’ second-round DT Christian Barmore (310 pounds) in 2021. I feel like Smith got a heck of a lot more pressure on the quarterback than these two big men when I watched them on their college game film.

Why not put him in the first-round then?
I have a new rule this year, and I will not break it. A prospect has to excite me while watching his game film or I can’t put him in the first-round.
The only thing that will happen between Michigan and the NFL is the level of competition will only get harder for Smith.
There’s a lot to like about this Michigan defender, but there’s also some softness in him that comes out from time to time, and that kills it for me.
Smith filled up the positive column in my notes, both against the pass and the run. He’s a complete defensive tackle. However, he also filled up the neutral notes in both departments and I tallied 35 times he was stalemated by double teams in passing situations over six games, even though he showed numerous times he has what it takes to destroy them. Plus, he was handled when pass-rushing another 35 times by solo blocks.
Against the run, there were equal inconsistencies.
Clearly, Smith showed he has the raw power and tenacity to rip through blockers like a kid ripping through wrapping paper on Christmas morning.
Then there were the 14 times in this block of game film study he ended up by the pile, but even more concerning were the 21 times he was handled by a solo block. Another 10 times he was stalemated by double teams.
Bottom line
Smith does not attack each and every play with the same level of intensity and tenacity.
Yeah, the ability is in there, and when it comes out, it’s special, but it’s not dependable.
Plus, there’s the other issue on the radar too.
Mazi Smith pleads guilty to a lesser weapon charge
That was the headline from the Detroit Free Press on December 8.
According to the article, Smith told police, “I was riding around with it because people are starting to know me more and I don’t feel comfortable.”
The exact details surrounding this incident are outlined in the article, and more than anything it serves as a piece to Smith’s draft day evaluation puzzle.
This type of background information does play a role in grading prospects in the NFL.
Why?
While the future is unknown, all credible information on game film and off the field helps serves as indicators of possible future behavior and performance.
Scouting after all is an educated guessing game.
#58 Mazi Smith 6-foot-3, 337 pounds
Daniel Kelly’s Final 2023 NFL Draft Grade: Second-Round (I would not select him)
First Round Mock Big Board: TBD
Bust Probability: Moderate
Projected by 10.8% of the NFL Draft Community to be a first-round pick as of March 12, 2023 (nflmockdraftdatabase.com)
2022 game film reviewed: Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, Maryland, and Illinois (click to view games watched to form this evaluation)
2021 stats: 37 tackles (15 solo, 22 assists), 0 sacks (21 pressures nfldraftbuzz.com), 3 passes defended
2022 stats: 49 tackles (23 solo, 26 assists), 1 sack (23 pressures), 1 forced fumble

2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report
Thick stout framed defender who creates unpredictable pressure, and he is a force against the run. Flashed power to bull rush and excels at pressing into gaps to create pocket disruption. Good hand usage, but erratic effort. Draws a good number of double teams, but inconsistent splitting them. Limited area-run defender who showed he can come off blocks and rock ball carriers. For as much good he did against the run, he can also not be a factor and get moved off the ball.
Final words
Tempting, but I’ll pass. Inconsistency doesn’t move the meter.
Daniel Kelly is a former NFL Scout with the New York Jets. He was hired on the regime which featured Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum, and Dick Haley. He currently writes for Sports Illustrated New York Jets and he is the Editor-in-Chief for First Round Mock. For more information about him visit his website at whateverittakesbook.com. He can be followed on Twitter @firstroundmock.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was so inconsistent that he was the centerpiece to a defense that was top 5-7 in basically every run defense metric.

He definitely has work to do and isn't a finished product by any means, but think back to Tyler Smith who we took in the same range the year before. He had huge holes in his game and had growing pains but the raw talent was readily apparent and just needed to be molded, that's how I see Mazi.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I get the overall gist of what he's saying, but it seems overly harsh to downgrade a NT so much for not beating double teams on pass rushes 35 times. Is he supposed to beat two men from a major conference every time when he's not even really a passrusher?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get the overall gist of what he's saying, but it seems overly harsh to downgrade a NT so much for not beating double teams on pass rushes 35 times. Is he supposed to beat two men from a major conference every time when he's not even really a passrusher?
Yea barely any 0T or 1T's ever beat double teams when pass rushing in the NFL. It just doesn't happen in that part of the line unless one of the two OL falls off and opens up a lane.

Top Bottom