Week 9 Gameday Chatter Thread | Eagles vs Cowboys| 11/8/2015

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wonder if we could steal Payton away from the Saints. He's probably the best guy to work with Romo, and the best guy to develop his replacement.
Payton worries me. He seems to put himself above all else. You have to believe in your philosophy, but you also have to have the capability to make changes. Watching the Saints is like watching the Big 12...all offense, no D.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Have not read through but the fact that Payton has been given permission to talk to other teams after the season gives me hope that Jerry might make a change after the season.

It is a splash move that would make the Cowboys front page news and Jerry will finally get the one that got away.

This season is done I see no more than 5 wins.

The defense is a huge disappointment Mclain is a shell of the guy from last year, Crawford has disappeared and Lee is Lee.

There is still a lot of young talent so the Window can be open for a couple of years but Garret's time should be ending.

townsend

Banned
Payton worries me. He seems to put himself above all else. You have to believe in your philosophy, but you also have to have the capability to make changes. Watching the Saints is like watching the Big 12...all offense, no D.
To me, it seems like a continuation of Rob Ryan's stint in Dallas. They'd probably look better if Greggg was still their DC.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Marinelli is good enough when things go perfectly according to plan but if the offense can't score enough to make the other team completely one dimensional, which means it probably needs to score on nearly every drive for the first six series because it won't start getting good until then and an offense that can run the football OR pass accurately into the 10 yard cushion they give up will be able to keep up with an offense that doesn't score like Baylor on crank.

Soft defenses like this never give you any momentum. They can't get you a turnover or a quick 3 and out to help you get that lead they depend on. The other team always seems to be able to move the ball and if they don't score they leave your offense in poor field position with a punt that captain fair catch will field inside the 6.
Marinelli led defenses are routinely top 5 in TO's, this year in an anomaly.

I am not absolving him of the other issues we have had this year but it's nothing inherent in his defenses that do not create TO's.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He would definitely need to get a good D coordinator but his offensive philosophy is sound.

I have no idea why he has stuck with Rex so long.

townsend

Banned
I'd be happy to retain Marinelli's services with Payton as HC. His D has screwed the pooch this year, but I think he deserves a few chances based on his resume.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Garrett is gone I'd prefer to see Marinelli gone. Payton is a coach I would definitely fire Garrett for.

Though for the record if Payton was here right now with this same cast he'd probably have a very similar record.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Play conservative... loss.

Open it up and get aggressive... Throw a ten point swing pick 6.... loss.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He would definitely need to get a good D coordinator but his offensive philosophy is sound.

I have no idea why he has stuck with Rex so long.
He emphasizes the pass far too much for me. 381 pass attempts to 238 rush attempts is not a ratio I want.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Where is the pass rush?

townsend

Banned
Play conservative... loss.

Open it up and get aggressive... Throw a ten point swing pick 6.... loss.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Frankly the offensive performance over the last few games isn't what bums me out. It's more the lack of consistency. Much like 2010 we just aren't seeing the same players from week to week. For a walk around head coach, who preaches and teaches fundamentals it's inexcusable for a team to be so consistently inconsistent.

He got this job by motivating a bunch of guys into pulling out 5 wins from a lost season without a starting QB. After losing 6 straight under similar conditions you have to wonder if he's lost his ability to motivate and discipline the team. That was his only strength; he's not a strong coordinator, he can't coach up QBs, he can't play the Banjo. All he's got is a figure head position, and it's clear no one is buying into him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If Garrett is gone I'd prefer to see Marinelli gone. Payton is a coach I would definitely fire Garrett for.

Though for the record if Payton was here right now with this same cast he'd probably have a very similar record.
What is so wrong with this Cast?

I guarantee you Payton would have made sure the backup would have been ready to step in and play at reasonable level and could gameplan around him unlike Garrett.

I would take the talent Dallas has across the board over what NO has easily unlike us they won a game with a backup QB.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Have not read through but the fact that Payton has been given permission to talk to other teams after the season gives me hope that Jerry might make a change after the season.

It is a splash move that would make the Cowboys front page news and Jerry will finally get the one that got away.

This season is done I see no more than 5 wins.

The defense is a huge disappointment Mclain is a shell of the guy from last year, Crawford has disappeared and Lee is Lee.

There is still a lot of young talent so the Window can be open for a couple of years but Garret's time should be ending.
You're right, but it'll never happen. Jerry just gave his robot son that expensive extension, plus Payton will command a lot of money on the open market.

That everything-breaking-right 12-4 season happened at exactly the wrong time for us fans. We're stuck with Teflon Red for many more years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He emphasizes the pass far too much for me. 381 pass attempts to 238 rush attempts is not a ratio I want.
You have to account for that defense when he was going to playoffs every year it was far closer to 50/50.

When you have a defense that's giving up 30 points a game you tend to throw a lot.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You're right, but it'll never happen. Jerry just gave his robot son that expensive extension, plus Payton will command a lot of money on the open market.

That everything-breaking-right 12-4 season happened at exactly the wrong time for us fans. We're stuck with Teflon Red for many more years.
I don't know, Jery knows he has 3 years of Romo at most and the splash of getting a Payton could outweigh any Garrett loyalty.

As far as paying Garrett and Payton I see no issue, Jerry knows a couple of Superbowl runs would outweigh all of that, I never understood the tightwad Jerry takes anyway.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
As an aside...Byron Jones is a stud.
I have to admit he's better than I thought he'd be. I thought he was just another workout warrior whose athleticism wouldn't translate to success on the football field.

Glad I was wrong on that one. Hopefully his position is one less position we'll have to worry about this offseason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom