Charles Haley elected to the HOF

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Haley gets in just for pissing on that car and being an all around crazy bastard.

Oh and for putting Dallas over the top in the 90's.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Haley gets in just for pissing on that car and being an all around crazy bastard.

Oh and for putting Dallas over the top in the 90's.
Dallas succeeds with or without Haley to tell the truth. It was the infusion and sudden maturation of Leon Lett, Darren Woodson, Tony Tolbert, Robert Jones, and Kevin Smith that put us over the top. Tony Casillas, Chad Hennings, Ken Norton, Thomas Everett, and James Washington formed a solid base of talent and veteran leadership that Charles Haley and his 6 whole sacks became frankly unnecessary. Even average players like Jimmy Jones, Ik Holt, and Larry Brown came up big.

Leon Lett was a monster who was many, many more times impactful than Haley. it's too bad he became synonymous with those two blooper plays instead of the great plays he consistently made from the inside.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Dallas succeeds with or without Haley to tell the truth. It was the infusion and sudden maturation of Leon Lett, Darren Woodson, Tony Tolbert, Robert Jones, and Kevin Smith that put us over the top. Tony Casillas, Chad Hennings, Ken Norton, Thomas Everett, and James Washington formed a solid base of talent and veteran leadership that Charles Haley and his 6 whole sacks became frankly unnecessary. Even average players like Jimmy Jones, Ik Holt, and Larry Brown came up big.

Leon Lett was a monster who was many, many more times impactful than Haley. it's too bad he became synonymous with those two blooper plays instead of the great plays he consistently made from the inside.

Lett was indeed a monster who could have been as good as Bob Lilly. But his off the field stuff ruined his career.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

:lol

:unsure

Oh, you're serious. :picard

Foobio

DCC 4Life
i had forgotten Haley had only six sacks in '92. Not that it mattered.

He created a big difference in his ability to pressure the QB and was constantly beating double teams which put them on the next level.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
i had forgotten Haley had only six sacks in '92. Not that it mattered.

He created a big difference in his ability to pressure the QB and was constantly beating double teams which put them on the next level.
We had a deep line and while he wasn't always on the field, when they put him in there he made a big difference.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We had a deep line and while he wasn't always on the field, when they put him in there he made a big difference.
The biggest single play of his Dallas career came in the 1992-1993 Superbowl, but outside of that one play he hardly demanded double-teams.

I remember the MNF announcers jizzing that Dallas had acquired this guy and then he proceeded to make 0 impact opening night vs. Washington. :lol I was sitting in a sports bar pointing out Lett to Cowboys Joe Fans who didn't even know who he was letting them know he was our real future, not Haley.

Dallas goes 3-0 and heads into Philadelphia, a team with a crappy OL and everyone's saying Haley was going to just go off on them and they literally smashed him into the ground. Again, 0 impact, and there was no fricking double team.

What made Dallas' defense shine that season was the waves of young fresh depth combined with top-pedigreed starting talent.

On the inside Dallas would cycle in Casillas and Maryland and then follow up with Lett and Hennings. I doubt you could ever find a better rotation in NFL history, and that was the #2 reason we had the #1 defense most of the season. The #1 reason was the dominant offense.

The difference when Lett entered the game was startling-- he always made a play the second he was in. I think the only reason Johnson didn't start him was political-- how could he start some 7th round pick from Emporia State over a guy he had traded up to the 1st overall pick to get and another #2 overall pick he personally talked out of retirement.

They had James Washington and Thomas Everett at safety, but they couldn't wait to go into nickel to bring in Darren Woodson and Kenneth Gant.

These guys were all young and good. To hear Charles Haley and his 6 whole sacks get any credit for it always makes me laugh.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
The biggest single play of his Dallas career came in the 1992-1993 Superbowl, but outside of that one play he hardly demanded double-teams.

I remember the MNF announcers jizzing that Dallas had acquired this guy and then he proceeded to make 0 impact opening night vs. Washington. :lol I was sitting in a sports bar pointing out Lett to Cowboys Joe Fans who didn't even know who he was letting them know he was our real future, not Haley.

Dallas goes 3-0 and heads into Philadelphia, a team with a crappy OL and everyone's saying Haley was going to just go off on them and they literally smashed him into the ground. Again, 0 impact, and there was no fricking double team.

What made Dallas' defense shine that season was the waves of young fresh depth combined with top-pedigreed starting talent.

On the inside Dallas would cycle in Casillas and Maryland and then follow up with Lett and Hennings. I doubt you could ever find a better rotation in NFL history, and that was the #2 reason we had the #1 defense most of the season. The #1 reason was the dominant offense.

The difference when Lett entered the game was startling-- he always made a play the second he was in. I think the only reason Johnson didn't start him was political-- how could he start some 7th round pick from Emporia State over a guy he had traded up to the 1st overall pick to get and another #2 overall pick he personally talked out of retirement.

They had James Washington and Thomas Everett at safety, but they couldn't wait to go into nickel to bring in Darren Woodson and Kenneth Gant.

These guys were all young and good. To hear Charles Haley and his 6 whole sacks get any credit for it always makes me laugh.
This is retarded stuff.

You can't be serious?

Right?

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is retarded stuff.

You can't be serious?

Right?

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!
I watched him play and saw that defense mature. Haley was a part of it, but he gets a ridiculous amount of credit for it. He didn't apply much pressure while he was in Dallas. That defense lived on its youth and depth.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
IIRC Haley had 44 QB pressures one year, next in line had something like 17...
But he wasn't a difference maker...

Carp

DCC 4Life
The defense was young and athletic when he got here, he was the guy who tipped the defense from good to great. Teams had to scheme to stop him, allowing others less attention and for them to excel. To somehow find ways to diminish his time here is ridiculous.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The defense was young and athletic when he got here, he was the guy who tipped the defense from good to great. Teams had to scheme to stop him, allowing others less attention and for them to excel.
This is the perception I'm talking about, that the defense was the same before and after he arrived except for his somehow magical presence. That's bullshit.

Like Thomas Everett, Kevin Smith, Chad Hennings, Robert Jones, and Larry Brown didn't make any difference at all :lol.

All were all new and Lett, Woodson, and Maryland gained much more PT in their second years. On top of it, because they won starting jobs guys like Kenneth Gant, Vinson Smith, Ike Holt, and James Washington could excel as role-players or non-key starters and weren't forced to take primary responsibility. Ken Norton Jr. also became much better with superior talent in front of him.

The defense had totally transformed, and Haley and his six magical sacks were only just a part of it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is the perception I'm talking about, that the defense was the same before and after he arrived except for his somehow magical presence. That's bullshit.

Like Thomas Everett, Kevin Smith, Chad Hennings, Robert Jones, and Larry Brown didn't make any difference at all :lol.

All were all new and Lett, Woodson, and Maryland gained much more PT in their second years. On top of it, because they won starting jobs guys like Kenneth Gant, Vinson Smith, Ike Holt, and James Washington could excel as role-players or non-key starters and weren't forced to take primary responsibility. Ken Norton Jr. also became much better with superior talent in front of him.

The defense had totally transformed, and Haley and his six magical sacks were only just a part of it.
It is not always sack totals, but I don't want to get into a long winded argument on this. He is in the HOF...deal with it or GFY.

data

Forbes #1
Haley's overrated. Imagine how many sacks Barry would have if he had Dallas' DL.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
I watched him play and saw that defense mature. Haley was a part of it, but he gets a ridiculous amount of credit for it. He didn't apply much pressure while he was in Dallas. That defense lived on its youth and depth.
Sorry...necro thread...

I don't know, It's just the way I felt in that moment.

What I do know is that Charles Haley was a very special player whose presence was directly responsible for the turn around of the franchise. He was a pain in the ass. He goaded people into being better.

Check out the 30 for 30: I Hate Christian Laettner on Netflix..same principle, different race and vibe.

Top Bottom