Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2014

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Very pleased with who we have had visiting. Please don't frick this up, Jerry.

D

Deuce

I'm pleased as well, but only if they get the round grades right. This guy at 16 is no bueno.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm pleased as well, but only if they get the round grades right. This guy at 16 is no bueno.
I don't think he is #16 in anyone's book. Hell of a pick in the mid second. I would even consider him in the last first if we traded way way down, to like SF's spot. Depends on who is there.

All in all, we need to look at all the pass rushers. They are not in great supply and could all go very very early. On the flip side, there are far more defensive tackles that can be had later. I have no more than eight-ten pass rushers (OLB/DE types) at most that could be starters/key contributors. I figure about 12-15 for the DTs. We have a lot more to get by with inside than out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Very pleased with who we have had visiting. Please don't frick this up, Jerry.
Agreed, I'm actually very surprised. I can only remember maybe 1 CB and 1 TE that we've had visit, and out of the 30 national visitors at least 10-12 of them must have been on the DL.

If we stick to our nature, draft mostly off the guys we've had visit, and don't do some dumb shit like take Jimmie Ward at 16, this draft could end up being damn solid.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So we finally got official word that we are visiting with Martin, I do like that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Boozeman likes Crichton at the end of the first but not Ealy.

I'm confused.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dominique Easley - DL - Gators

The Cowboys used one of their 30 visits to host Florida DT Dominique Easley, according to Bryan Broaddus.

Per Broaddus, Easley's medical recheck is scheduled to take place in late April, but the Cowboys got a jump on his development thanks to the visit. We still consider Easley a top 10 talent due to his disruptive ability from the interior. Teams could see him as a one or three technique. Easley is recovering from a second torn ACL, one in each knee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ draft workout includes SMU ex Gilbert

Posted Thursday, Apr. 17, 2014

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING — As soon as super agent Leigh Steinberg picks up the phone, he starts to gush about his newest quarterback prospect.

Not only does Steinberg say “he will be an NFL starter one day,” but he also calls him “a future franchise quarterback.”

Steinberg concludes with this caveat: “I know a little about starting quarterbacks.”

Certainly with a history of quarterback clients such as Hall of Famers Troy Aikman, Warren Moon and Steve Young, the latter is a fact.

But this “he” Steinberg is touting is SMU’s Garrett Gilbert, a former Texas washout, who a month ago wasn’t even considered a draftable quarterback.

That was before a sterling performance during his Pro Day at SMU that has caused Gilbert’s draft stock to skyrocket.

Gilbert, fresh off a visit with the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday, will be at the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch headquarters Thursday for the team’s annual Dallas Day workouts for draft prospects who went to high school or played in college in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

He is among four quarterbacks, joining TCU’s Casey Pachall, North Texas’ Derek Johnson and Missouri’s James Franklin, who will attend.

Other known locals invited are Texas receiver Mike Davis, Tarleton State cornerback Dashaun Phillips, Kansas running back James Sims, Missouri safety Matt White, Baylor guard Cyril Richardson, Miami defensive back Kacy Rodgers II, North Texas linebacker Zachary Orr, Nebraska safety Ciante Evans and SMU cornerback Chris Parks.

Gilbert is the most intriguing of the bunch because of his disappointing history at Texas and his status as a late draft riser.

“I think he is a franchise quarterback,” Steinberg said. “I trust [SMU coach] June Jones. I have relied on him on all the other quarterbacks over the years. He thinks he’s as good as any quarterback in the draft. Wherever he is drafted, I think he will be a starter.”

Since SMU’s Pro Day on March 28, the 6-foot-4 Gilbert had a visit with Tampa Bay in addition to Wednesday’s visit with the Panthers. He has worked out for Carolina and Atlanta and has a visit lined up with St. Louis outside of the Dallas Day workout. Steinberg expects more to come.

Gilbert lived through the whirlwind of hype and expectations during a three-year stint at Texas before transferring to SMU for a fresh start.

“I try not to read too much into that,” Gilbert said. “I try to do the best I can and get prepared the best I can. I let my friends tell me what they see and what they read.”

Gilbert blamed his problems at Texas on playing inconsistently and making mistakes that young quarterbacks make. He said he also tried to force the issue that led to more mistakes.

Gilbert, who followed Vince Young and Colt McCoy as the starter at Texas, threw 10 touchdown passes but was intercepted 17 times in 12 games as a sophomore starter. He was injured two games into his junior season and then transferred.

“I loved Texas, but it didn’t work out,” Gilbert said.

“That’s part of the game on the college level. I thought I needed a fresh start. I’m thankful to coach Jones and the SMU team for welcoming me.”

Despite the disappointments at Texas, Gilbert never gave up on his dream of playing in the NFL.

He chose SMU because of Jones’ history of developing NFL quarterbacks.

At SMU, he passed for 2,932 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2012 before exploding for 3,528 yards and 21 touchdowns during a 2013 season that was cut short by a knee injury.

“He had three different coordinators at Texas,” Steinberg said. “Having a Johnny Manziel or Jameis Winston is a freakish occurrence. It takes a young quarterback time to develop. He is greatly developed from where he was at Texas. It’s all coming for him. People are actually taking a serious look now. This, to me, is one of those things that are late in happening.”

Gilbert is excited about the possibilities, but is leaving the sales job to Steinberg and his experience.

“This whole process has been my dream,” Gilbert said. “I never took my eyes off it.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Changed the listing at the beginning of the thread to designate official visits and Dallas Day guys from the rest.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have seen a lot of Gilbert and he is average at best. Maybe he will get better because he has the raw tools but his stint with June Jones didn't bring out the best in him so far.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have seen a lot of Gilbert and he is average at best. Maybe he will get better because he has the raw tools but his stint with June Jones didn't bring out the best in him so far.
Yeah, I don't get it. Sounds like Leigh Steinburg is calling up a lot of favors from his old league buddies to get his only client propped up to be something he's not.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Barr/Easley in the first/second would be one of the sickest things ever.
Correction.

Anthony Barr/Demarcus Lawrence/Dominique Easley in the first/second/third would be one of the sickest things ever.

With Brandon Thomas in the fourth.

:towel

D

Deuce

I was a big fan of his heading into the last draft when I thought he would declare. He's plays strong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stanford's Mauro closer to Cowboys dream

April, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Josh Mauro was like a lot of kids growing up in the area. He was a huge Dallas Cowboys fan. He even attended the final game at Texas Stadium, a loss to the Baltimore Ravens in 2008. He hoped one day he would wear the star on his helmet.

Today Mauro, who played defensive line at Stanford after leaving Hurst L.D. Bell, is at Valley Ranch with other Dallas Day hopefuls -- working out for the team while his immediate family watches. Mauro will be joined by other locals like TCU safety Elisha Olabode, Missouri quarterback James Franklin (Corinth), Abilene Christian receiver Taylor Gabriel (Mesquite), Miami defensive back Kacy Rodgers (Southlake Carroll) -- whose dad was the Cowboys defensive line coach from 2003-07 -- and North Texas running back Zach Orr (DeSoto).

"It's kind of like a dream come true," Mauro said. "Playing Pee Wee football and high school, you see the Cowboys and it's like a dream to think you could play for them. This isn't a sign-up for the Cowboys, but to even have the opportunity to work out for them is something special."

Mauro, 6-foot-6, 280 pounds, played defensive end, defensive tackle and even some nose tackle for Stanford. He had 51 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, six quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles and an interception for one of the best defenses in college football in 2013.

He knows the Cowboys have defensive line needs, too. He knows DeMarcus Ware is now with the Denver Broncos, Jason Hatcher is with the Washington Redskins and Anthony Spencer remains unsigned. He is aware they signed Henry Melton.

"You're talking two, possibly three starters up front in that defense that aren't there anymore," Mauro said.

Mauro met with Cowboys assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett and other coaches at the NFL scouting combine in February. He played in the East-West Shrine Game and worked out in California, with former Stanford players like Andrew Luck, Coby Fleener and other current NFL players.

"It's a great work environment, just getting to be with guys that are like minded and in the NFL," Mauro said. "I've been able to learn a lot from them."

ESPN Insiders have him as the 21st ranked defensive end, but his versatility puts him on the radar of 4-3 and 3-4 teams. Having played in a multiple defenses used at Stanford also helps. When he arrived at Stanford, Vic Fangio was his coordinator. Fangio now runs the San Francisco 49ers defense. Josh Tarver took over for Fangio, and he now runs the Oakland Raiders defense. Derek Mason took over for Tarver and he is now the head coach at Vanderbilt.

"Say a team runs a 3-4, the guys they'll have aren't just the typical big, block squares just two-gapping," Mauro said. "It's a passing league. You've got to be able to play different personnel. Look at a team like New England. They might have one down lineman and standing up the other 10 guys. The game is so different. It's not the traditional tight end, two backs, two wide receivers. It could be three, four, five wide receivers. The name of the game is to get to the quarterback. I've been able to do that at Stanford from a lot of different positions. Nowadays getting to the quarterback whether it be from the nine technique or nose guard, you've got to be able to create mismatches for people in different positions."

He worked out for the Atlanta Falcons and will work out for the New York Giants next week, followed by visits with the 49ers and Raiders.

"I still remember we wrote our goal letters at every training period at Stanford," Mauro said. "My first goal was to eventually become a starter at Stanford, an All-American defensive end and be a future first-round pick. Now coming out of high school that was a very, very ambitious goal and I wasn't heavily recruited. I had a few offers, but I always set the bar high so even if I fall short of my expectations I'd still end up in a good place. I always believed in it. Three years in the program I hadn't played very much. The fourth year I came in off the bench and was the energy guy … . My fifth year I ended up starting 11 games and was productive and helped one of the best defenses in the nation. Everything is kind of surreal. You couldn't plan it out. You just always have to believe in yourself if no one is believing in you."

Top Bottom