Draft Chatter Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It also saves us from Avant should be signed, Quincy lacks self esteem, and Jodeci talk.
It's about time for us to blow up the test thread.

Come with me.

Cotton

Staff member
Brandon Thomas situation unprecedented for NFL, teams

Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Defensive end Jadeveon Clowney wisely has decided not to risk injury during private workouts, due to the experiences of tackle Brandon Thomas, who tore an ACL while showing the Saints what he can do.

But what about Thomas? Who pays for his surgery and rehab? Who compensates him for the income lost as a result of the injury?

As one source with knowledge of the situation recently explained it to PFT, it’s an unprecedented situation. Which means there’s no guidance or established practice or anything else to lead the parties through this.

Unfortunately for Thomas, his case will create that precedent. And it will serve as a tangible worst-case scenario for players and agents faced with the question of whether to attend private workouts.

Those who want to see Clowney tumble down the board and into their clutches undoubtedly will seize on his decision to whisper to reporters under the cover of anonymity that Clowney’s decision provides further evidence of his alleged laziness. But before any scouts try to push that agenda, they should ask themselves whether they’d advise their own son to risk injury by working out for teams without compensation or protection, especially after spending the last three years practicing and playing and doing all the other stuff necessary to position himself to get eventually paid without compensation or protection against an injury that could wipe it all out.

Good for Clowney and good for anyone else who takes a stand and refuses to risk injury without real protection. Here’s hoping someone provides Brandon Thomas with some sort of protection for injuring himself during what amounts to a job interview.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Obviously I don't know Clowney that well but I could see him being "spoiled and lazy".

From the outside looking in, he strikes me as one of those guys who is so athletically gifted that things come easy for him thus he doesn't have to work hard to excel.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he's had his ass kissed by coaches and parents throughout the years. That could be part of the reason why Spurrier was miffed at him last year. Spurrier probably had a prima donna on his hands and was tiring of it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Obviously I don't know Clowney that well but I could see him being "spoiled and lazy".

From the outside looking in, he strikes me as one of those guys who is so athletically gifted that things come easy for him thus he doesn't have to work hard to excel.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he's had his ass kissed by coaches and parents throughout the years. That could be part of the reason why Spurrier was miffed at him last year. Spurrier probably had a prima donna on his hands and was tiring of it.
I always thought that Was Roy Lee's problem. Being the top defensive player in the Big 12 was something he could do on pure talent and he never wanted to put in the time or have the discipline to watch his diet and stay in shape.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, the only question with Clowney is if he wants it enough or not.

One of the main reasons I would like him going to Houston is because he'd have one of the best DL in the league there to challenge/mentor him. Watt came out of nowhere after almost being out of football and turned himself into a 1st round pick and eventual DPOY.

He is good enough to challenge Clowney physically on the field to elevate his play while also having the work ethic which would hopefully rub off on him to some extent.

I wouldn't like Clowney in every single situation but playing with Watt could bring the best out of him.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

One of the main reasons I would like him going to Houston is because he'd have one of the best DL in the league there to challenge/mentor him. Watt came out of nowhere after almost being out of football and turned himself into a 1st round pick and eventual DPOY.

He is good enough to challenge Clowney physically on the field to elevate his play while also having the work ethic which would hopefully rub off on him to some extent.

I wouldn't like Clowney in every single situation but playing with Watt could bring the best out of him.
I think he'll be motivated until he gets big money on his second contract, then he'll mail it in and suck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It is probably the best situation for him where there is another alpha male. If he was asked to be "the man" elsewhere, I think he would stand a strong chance of busting.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
AJ McCarron, Jeremy Hill among potential first-round surprises

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: April 14, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.
Updated: April 14, 2014 at 01:00 p.m.

Looking ahead to the 2014 NFL Draft, I believe there are a handful of prospects who are widely projected as Day 2 picks but actually could come off the board in the first round. Below, you'll find 10 such players, listed in alphabetical order. I've also provided potential NFL fits for each, but I'm not necessarily pointing to those teams' current first-round positions -- remember, trades happen in Round 1.

Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada: The buzz about Bitonio's potential began building -- albeit quietly, in NFL circles -- when he shut out UCLA's Anthony Barr in Nevada's 2013 season opener and then performed well against Florida State a couple of weeks later. He's kept up the momentum with standout performances at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine. Given the value of his position and the number of teams searching for a quality starter on the edge, Bitonio's stock could peak on draft night.

Potential team fits: Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns.

Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State: In today's pass-happy NFL, safety has become a marquee defensive spot. Although observers have frequently cited Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor as the two difference makers at the position in this draft, the league-wide hunger for athletic safeties with an aggressive temperament could push Bucannon into the first round. The Washington State standout is a "box safety" with a knack for punishing runners in the hole, and his outstanding performance at the combine suggests he could develop into a credible cover man at the next level. With Clinton-Dix and Pryor poised to come off the board early, Bucannon could surge up the charts due to the effect of supply and demand on draft day.

Potential team fits: Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Philadelphia Eagles.

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: This Hokie has intrigued scouts over the past two seasons due to his athleticism, length and toughness. He is a gritty press-man corner capable of snuffing out elite receivers on the edge without safety help. Most importantly, Fuller is an ultra-competitive defender with the physical tools to thrive as a No. 1 corner. Bigger corners are en vogue following the success of the Seattle Seahawks' "Legion of Boom," and the six-foot Fuller could vault into the conversation as a legitimate first-round pick.

Potential team fits: Philadelphia Eagles, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, Carolina Panthers.

Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU: The running back position has been devalued on draft day, but teams still appreciate a big back with outstanding vision, feet and power. Hill, a 6-1, 233-pound freight train with nimble feet and loose hips, certainly qualifies. He amassed 1,401 rushing yards last season, averaging an SEC-record 6.9 yards per attempt. Most impressively, he posted seven 100-yard games -- including a 200-yard effort in the Outback Bowl -- and showed he can be a dependable workhorse in a power-based scheme. With several contenders in need of a young, powerful runner to anchor a ground attack, it's not hard to imagine Hill coming off the board at the bottom of the first round.

Potential team fits: New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons.

Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana: Latimer suddenly is one of the hottest names in the draft, following a spectacular pro-day workout that showcased his explosive athleticism -- just a few months after foot surgery, to boot. With the game tape confirming Latimer's dynamic traits as a playmaker in space, scouts and coaches are pegging the Indiana product as a potential No. 1 receiver. Thus, he has emerged as a legitimate candidate for selection at the bottom of the first round.

Potential team fits: Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Carolina Panthers, San Francisco 49ers.

Demarcus Lawrence, DE/OLB, Boise State: The Boise State standout is an athletic edge defender ideally suited to play as a 3-4 rush linebacker in an aggressive scheme. Lawrence exhibits excellent balance, body control and closing quickness while also displaying impressive hand-to-hand combat skills on pass rushes. In addition, he flashes the strength to hold the point and is an effective run defender despite his slender frame. Factor in Lawrence's disruptive production (34 tackles for loss and 20 sacks in 2012/2013), and it's definitely conceivable that a team in need of a pass rusher will target him near the end of Thursday night.

Potential team fits: New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots.

AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama: McCarron is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft, despite a college résumé that includes a .900 winning percentage and two BCS national titles as a starter. Some critics question whether he is capable of carrying an offense on the strength of his right arm, but the fact that he performed well in big games (see: the contests against Texas A&M, LSU and Auburn last season, plus the 2012 and 2013 BCS National Championship Games) suggests he's underrated as a playmaker. McCarron is, quite simply, a superb game manager with a knack for guiding his team to the winner's circle. Thus, he could interest any team with the supporting cast in place to make a run at a playoff berth. Given the uncertainty surrounding the top QB prospects in this draft class, it is quite possible McCarron goes at the end of Round 1 to a team in need of a cerebral playmaker at the position.

Potential team fits: Houston Texans, Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns.

Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU: Mettenberger is just three months removed from ACL surgery, but the LSU quarterback is making a strong push to enter the discussion as a first-rounder following a sensational pro-day performance that showcased his A-plus arm talent. He is a classic dropback passer in the mold of Drew Bledsoe, with a game suited to flourish in a pro-style offense built on the vertical attack; he also has experience working under former NFL head coach/offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. Some scouts and coaches believe Mettenberger could be the biggest sleeper in the 2014 quarterback class.

Potential team fits: Houston Texans, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns.

Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia: The 2014 offensive tackle class is loaded with blue-chip talent at the top of the board, but scouts are eyeing potential gems in the second tier, as well. Moses is a savvy technician with the athleticism, balance and body control to play left or right tackle as a pro. Most vitally, he will enter the league ready to contribute immediately, with 43 collegiate starts under his belt, leading several teams to view him as a plug-and-play starter from Day 1.

Potential team fits: Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints.

Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: Van Noy's disruptive capability was on full display throughout his BYU career -- as evidenced by 61.5 tackles for loss, 26 sacks, 11 forced fumbles, seven interceptions and 21 pass breakups -- yet observers rarely have mentioned him in the first-round conversation. Skeptics question his physicality and toughness instead of looking at his versatility and athleticism -- blue-chip characteristics that could make him a special player at the next level. A team with a creative defensive play-caller could put Van Noy in a position to thrive as the designated playmaker in an exotic scheme.

Potential team fits: Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jadeveon Clowney should be target for Falcons in draft trade

By Charles Davis
NFL Media analyst
Published: April 15, 2014 at 03:10 p.m.
Updated: April 15, 2014 at 03:36 p.m.

Intrigue about teams that might be willing to trade up in this year's draft is growing stronger as we get closer to the start of the first round, and there is speculation that we'll see a flurry of wheeling and dealing when the bell rings on May 8.

With that in mind, here are five teams that should be looking to move up in the first round and the player (players, in some cases) they should be targeting:

Falcons: Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack

GM Thomas Dimitroff made the whopper of a deal in 2011, trading up to draft Julio Jones fourth overall, and the Falcons should be eyeing another potential blockbuster this year. They need a pass rusher, and there's none better this year than Clowney, but to ensure landing him, they would probably need to move up from the sixth-overall pick to No. 1. That's going to be an awfully tough, and expensive, move to pull off. If Clowney goes first to the Texans, the Falcons should shift their focus to Mack, the second-best edge rusher available. To guarantee themselves a chance to get the former Buffalo star, Dimitroff should target the third overall pick, held by the Jaguars, and see if his former director of player personnel, Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell, is a willing trade partner.

Buccaneers: Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson

The Bucs have a big need at offensive tackle, but there's no guarantee one of the top three will be available if they stand pat with the seventh-overall pick given that the position is an area of need for most of the teams drafting ahead of them. If the Bucs are going to ensure themselves a chance to draft one of the top three tackles, they should be looking to move up to the fourth- or fifth-overall pick.

Bills: Mike Evans

I have Evans going to the Bills at No. 9 in my most recent mock draft, but given the buzz around the Texas A&M wide receiver right now, waiting for him at No. 9 might be a recipe to miss out on landing him. The draft's top wide receiver, Sammy Watkins, is unlikely to slide past the Browns at No. 4, and Evans probably won't last much longer -- if the Bucs stay at No. 7, he could be their guy. Buffalo should be looking to move ahead of Tampa Bay.

Cowboys: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Clinton-Dix is my top-rated safety available, and it's hard to see him getting past the Rams at No. 13, so Dallas, which holds the 16th overall pick, should have its sights set on moving ahead of St. Louis. The Cowboys could stay put and probably would still have a chance to pick the second-best safety available, Calvin Pryor, but it won't be a surprise if Dallas decides Clinton-Dix is worth the price to move up.

Eagles: Calvin Pryor

Philadelphia could go a bunch of different directions with their pick at No. 22 overall, but to fill a need at safety in the opening round, they have to find a way to at least get ahead of the Packers, who hold the pick one spot ahead of them. Pryor is unlikely to get past Green Bay, if he's still available, and would give the Eagles a Brian Dawkins-like enforcer in the back end.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas looking at Georgia QB Aaron Murray

April, 16, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have three quarterbacks on their roster and expect to keep it that way when the 2014 regular season begins.

However, it doesn’t mean the Cowboys won’t look at some quarterbacks.

Team officials are in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday looking at University of Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray. Among the officials in attendance is Cowboys’ quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

There is no expectation the Cowboys will draft Murray in the later rounds of next month’s draft, but the team is doing its due diligence, much like it did two years ago with Brandon Weeden.

When Weeden was entering the draft from Oklahoma State, Cowboys officials met with him and kept watch from afar. After Weeden was released by theCleveland Browns this spring, the Cowboys jumped at the chance to sign him because they had done the research necessary to make a move.

With the amount of money invested in starting quarterback Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton, the team isn't trying to draft a quarterback in the first two rounds. Finding a future replacement for Romo isn't a high priority, but they are looking for a quality young backup. Though Weeden is 30, he has only two years of NFL experience, so that justifies the Cowboys signing him.

Also, the Cowboys are expected to void out the last few years of Orton's contract, making him a free agent after the 2014 season.

Murray is projected as a middle-round draft selection, but ESPN’s Jon Gruden was impressed with him.

Gruden said Murray, who is fully recovered after tearing his ACL in his left knee last November, has deep-ball accuracy, good touch on the ball and will be “the steal for somebody” in the draft. Cowboys' officials aren't in love with Murray's height, 6-1, but they believe he's got a strong enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL.

Murray is the all-time leading passer in SEC history and holds the school record with 121 career touchdowns.

The Cowboys haven’t met with any of the top quarterbacks at Valley Ranch during their 30 pre-draft visits. It could be a smoke screen, or the simple fact the team isn’t drafting a quarterback.

Team officials are quite familiar with all the top quarterbacks, and their closer look at Murray might not mean anything now, but could be something for the future.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Cowboys: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Clinton-Dix is my top-rated safety available, and it's hard to see him getting past the Rams at No. 13, so Dallas, which holds the 16th overall pick, should have its sights set on moving ahead of St. Louis. The Cowboys could stay put and probably would still have a chance to pick the second-best safety available, Calvin Pryor, but it won't be a surprise if Dallas decides Clinton-Dix is worth the price to move up.
I'll curbstomp a kitten if we move up for HaHa

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Derek Carr has the look of a man who just got finished drilling a peephole in the women's bathroom.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's not all that was hanging out.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'll curbstomp a kitten if we move up for HaHa
Well, if you're truly a man of your word and not just regurgitating boring and over played rhetoric, I hope we do trade up for him.

I fucking hate cats.

Top Bottom