Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Free Agent Safeties, WRs Still Remain As List Dwindles

Posted 1 hour ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas
– The Cowboys sat by idly this week while NFC East foes stacked new talent via free agency.

With wide receiver DeSean Jackson going to the Redskins on Tuesday and defensive end Robert Ayers going to the Giants on Wednesday, the free-agent market has slowly dwindled down to just a few major names.

The Cowboys, with more than $5 million remaining in cap space and another $5 million set to kick on June 1 after Miles Austin’s release, have the money to grab another player or two or three that they see fit before the season begins.

But it doesn’t appear they’re willing to overpay prized free agents this year, and it would seem if they were going to make a splash they would’ve done it already when more players existed in free agency. It’s possible, and perhaps likely, the Cowboys don’t do much the rest of the way in free agency and save up to give their own players extensions.

Defensive end Anthony Spencer’s name will continue to float around as long as he remains in free agency and remains a possibility to sign, particularly while he works out in Dallas to rehab his surgically repaired knee. Defensive lineman Jarius Wynn could also be a possibility to return, particularly considering how the market for defensive linemen has depleted considerably.

Safety Danieal Manning had a link to Rod Marinelli, but the Bengals scooped him up Thursday. The Cowboys could also kick the tires on defensive tackle Landon Cohen again, although they waived the defensive tackle in September last season.

The draft could dictate a lot of these moves.

If the Cowboys do decide to make another notable move after the major signing of Henry Melton, many of the top free agents remaining are safeties and receivers. Here’s a look at a few of them who could go quickly.

Safeties

Major Wright – The Marinelli ties continue here with Wright, who spent three years with the defensive coordinator in Chicago. Unlike the last two veteran safeties on this list, Wright’s just beginning his NFL career. He’s had at least two picks each of the last three years and at 25 years old could still be progressing.

Thomas Decoud – The former Falcons safety has demonstrated his durability and longevity by playing and starting in at least 15 games each of the last five seasons. He had 10 combined interceptions in 2011 and 2012 before going without a pick last year.

Mike Adams – The veteran’s spent at least two years of his 10-year career with three different teams, most recently with the Broncos. He’s played in at least 14 games each of the past nine years. Adams has only picked off one pass the last two years, but he’s got more passes defended the last two years than ever before in his career.

Receivers

Nate Burleson – He’s got a ton of familiarity with Scott Linehan, having been with the Lions the last four seasons. The veteran receiver’s also only played in 15 games the last two seasons but averaged more than four catches per game each of the last two years.

Santonio Holmes – The receiver’s numbers dipped considerably the last two seasons for a struggling Jets offense. It’s possible he needs some fresh scenery in a more high-powered offense and can get going again. The real issue has been staying on the field, as Holmes has only played in 15 games the last two years.

Jason Avant – It seems more NFC East players are staying within the division on rival teams more and more this offseason. Avant’s spent all eight previous seasons in Philadelphia and is used to filling in as the third receiver, as he’d have to do in Dallas. He’s extremely durable, having played all 16 games four of the past five seasons, totaling between 440 and 700 yards each season during that span.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would not bother with any of these players.

We've made our beds. Now fricking sleep in it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would not bother with any of these players.

We've made our beds. Now fricking sleep in it.
I would look at bringing in Avant, but that's about it from that list.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd actually consider bringing in Major Wright because of his age and the fact that he is still better then any safety we can trot out their opposite Church. I'd make it a two year deal that is super cheap. The guy is 25 and has more talent in his pinky toe then Heath. He was bad last year, no question about it. But then against almost every position on the Bears defense regressed last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd actually consider bringing in Major Wright because of his age and the fact that he is still better then any safety we can trot out their opposite Church. I'd make it a two year deal that is super cheap. The guy is 25 and has more talent in his pinky toe then Heath. He was bad last year, no question about it. But then against almost every position on the Bears defense regressed last year.
I honestly don't want anybody at this point. Anyone brought in would be viewed as a solution and a reason to ignore the position again in the draft. If you want the solution at the position, signing a vet right now is not what you want to do.

All in all, what is the sense in adding another guy who can't play from a safety-poor team like the Bears? I hate to sound Spagnola-ish, but if Major Wright were any good, he would not be available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don't want anybody at this point. Anyone brought in would be viewed as a solution and a reason to ignore the position again in the draft. If you want the solution at the position, signing a vet right now is not what you want to do.

All in all, what is the sense in adding another guy who can't play from a safety-poor team like the Bears? I hate to sound Spagnola-ish, but if Major Wright were any good, he would not be available.
You could use the same logic for basically any player leaving the Bears defense. Their D-line was horrific last year. So would the same logic apply to Melton and Peppers being allowed to leave the team? The previous couple years Wright was a very good safety for the Bears, 2013 sucked for him. I know you will disagree but I think Marinelli leaving that defense played a huge part in it's overall drop off and I think reuniting with Marinelli could help bring his career back at the age of 25. If not he should be a cheap option.

I've basically given up hope in Dallas putting any real effort into drafting the position this year anyway. If Wright prevents us from drafting another middle round small school DB I'm all for it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The previous couple years Wright was a very good safety for the Bears, 2013 sucked for him. I know you will disagree but I think Marinelli leaving that defense played a huge part in it's overall drop off and I think reuniting with Marinelli could help bring his career back at the age of 25. If not he should be a cheap option.
Yeah, you are right I will disagree. And the fact that Wright visited Tampa and hasn't signed there either tells me a lot.

I just think we are bound and determined to see out the safety gambit with what we have. We invested a lot of time in Matt Johnson, wouldn't shock me if we actually did consider the idea of "progress stopping". We think we had "success" doing that with Brodney Pool losing out to Church and that mindset continues. All in all, it is like most of our other personnel mistakes...false positives being turned into absolutes and then a year later we refuse to learn from the idiocy of being overly optimistic in our ability to critically evaluate the returning talent.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd like to get a safety in FA, and Wright sounds like the best of that list with his age.

It would keep them from reaching or getting cute in the draft to get a safety.

Reach out to him and offer a 1 year deal. Then if you get good value on a safety on draft day, that's just a bonus. If not at least we don't have Heath's honky ass out there.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Heath entertains me, so I should have nothing to complain about.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, you are right I will disagree. And the fact that Wright visited Tampa and hasn't signed there either tells me a lot.

I just think we are bound and determined to see out the safety gambit with what we have. We invested a lot of time in Matt Johnson, wouldn't shock me if we actually did consider the idea of "progress stopping". We think we had "success" doing that with Brodney Pool losing out to Church and that mindset continues. All in all, it is like most of our other personnel mistakes...false positives being turned into absolutes and then a year later we refuse to learn from the idiocy of being overly optimistic in our ability to critically evaluate the returning talent.
We like where we are at the safety position......

hstour

Brand New Member
You could use the same logic for basically any player leaving the Bears defense. Their D-line was horrific last year. So would the same logic apply to Melton and Peppers being allowed to leave the team? The previous couple years Wright was a very good safety for the Bears, 2013 sucked for him. I know you will disagree but I think Marinelli leaving that defense played a huge part in it's overall drop off and I think reuniting with Marinelli could help bring his career back at the age of 25. If not he should be a cheap option.

I've basically given up hope in Dallas putting any real effort into drafting the position this year anyway. If Wright prevents us from drafting another middle round small school DB I'm all for it.
I know that there has been a lot written about Marinelli being able to "work wonders" with a D-Line. While I'm not willing to slot him in the role of Anne Sullivan, you do have to wonder how much of Chicago's defensive decline was due to him not being there.

I think at this point, you wait until after the draft. Sometimes you don't get what you want because of the way the draft plays out.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know that there has been a lot written about Marinelli being able to "work wonders" with a D-Line. While I'm not willing to slot him in the role of Anne Sullivan, you do have to wonder how much of Chicago's defensive decline was due to him not being there.
Chicago's defensive decline can be excused away due to their injuries on the interior DL just like Dallas'. The two were mirror images of each other.

Top Bottom