MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

As an aside....your daily Upton update: He's 0-3 with 2 more strikeouts. :budd

I would straight up pull a minor league A ball trade with him. BJ Upton back to the Rays for a 10 lb tub of pine tar, 10 Louisville Sluggers, and 20 lbs of Big League Chew.
We would take BJ back with open arms if you're willing to pay about 90% of the remaining salary.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yu is back on Sunday!!!!

D

Deuce

Yu is back on Sunday!!!!
The good news is this actually gives you hope of salvaging a game in that series. The bad news is you get to face a healthy David Price while attempting to do so.

Rev

Staff member
FU Glen Perkins.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm really anxious to see how Robbie Ross does tonight. He was money as a reliever.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Not trying to be funny here, in a way I am, but he's performing like a free agent who signs with the Yankees.

It seems like the last 5 years or so most of the big money free agents the Yankees bring in struggle in pin stripes and don't perform up to the contract they received.

Ir's not cool being on the other end of the stick. I'm sorry, Tony, for all the finger pointing and laughing.
Please enlighten me to who you are talking about? It sounds like you have a long list of high priced FA's that the Yanks have signed in the past 5 years that have flopped.

This past offseason was the most active they've been in free agency in years. It's the most active they've been since after the 2008 season...and they won the World Series in 2009. Try again.

Cotton

Staff member
A walkoff walk. Love it.

Cotton

Staff member
David Ortiz tops MLB jersey sales
Updated: April 3, 2014, 1:11 PM ET
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com

Fresh off picking up his World Series MVP award, Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz had the best-selling jersey in MLB.com's store this offseason.

In the list, obtained by ESPN.com on Thursday morning and to be released by baseball later in the day, Ortiz teammate Dustin Pedroia had the second best-selling jersey from Oct. 31, 2013, to March 30, 2014. Compared to the same time period last season, sales of Ortiz's and Pedroia's Majestic jerseys are up 932 percent and 379 percent, respectively.

Even though he played in a career-low 17 games in 2013, MLB.com says Derek Jeter's No. 2 came in No. 3 in jersey sales this offseason. After the New York Yankees shortstop announced his retirement, effective after this season, sales of his jersey picked up to the point where it has since been the best-selling of all.

Thanks to a strong postseason, St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina finished fourth in jersey sales. Los Angeles Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw, last year's National League Cy Young Award winner, rounded out the top five.

10 Best-selling MLB Jerseys

Player Team

David Ortiz Boston Red Sox
Dustin Pedroia Boston Red Sox
Derek Jeter New York Yankees
Yadier Molina St. Louis Cardinals
Clayton Kershaw Los Angeles Dodgers
Andrew McCutchen Pittsburgh Pirates
Buster Posey San Francisco Giants
David Wright New York Mets
Robinson Cano Yankees/Mariners
Manny Machado Baltimore Orioles

Youth continues to be a theme as young players dominate the game and the buzz. Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey, both 27, were No. 6 and No. 7 on the list. Four players in the top 15 -- Baltimore Orioles third baseman Manny Machado (No. 10), Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig (No. 11), Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper (No. 12) and Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout (No. 14) -- are 23 or younger.

Three players who changed teams in the offseason made the list, as fans clamored to get their new jerseys. Robinson Cano's move from the Yankees to the Seattle Mariners landed his jersey ninth on the list, while Prince Fielder's move from the Detroit Tigers to the Texas Rangers resulted in Fielder making the list at No. 16. Former Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who signed a seven-year, $153 million deal with the Yankees in the offseason, was No. 20.

Rev

Staff member
Who is buying Pedroia jerseys?

Rev

Staff member
OK, Its not the majors but deserves some notice......

HS pitcher fans all 21 batters

Mike Delio's first varsity start for Carle Place High School on Long Island couldn't have gone any better.

A junior, Delio struck out all 21 batters he faced in pitching a perfect game against Hempstead on Tuesday.

"I've had dreams of throwing no-hitters and perfect games, but nothing like this," Delio told Newsday after his team's 15-0 victory. "This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Delio, who pitched on the junior varsity team the past two seasons, featured a knuckle-curve as part of his repertoire, along with a well-placed fastball that reached the mid-80s.

"I just stayed focused," Delio said. "I wanted to locate my pitches, get my curveball down in the zone and just play baseball."

At the plate, Delio also contributed with three walks and two stolen bases.

Carle Place manager Brian Krummenacker didn't seem surprised by Delio's performance.

"Every time he takes the mound, there is always the chance that he can do something special," Krummenacker said. "Today was the day."

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Braves win again with more incredible pitching and defense. 2-1 over the Nats.

BTW....BJ Upton was 0-4 with 3 more strikeouts. That's 9 strikeouts in 16 ABs.

There's got to be a prospect worth looking at who can get some time in CF. This is ridiculous. The dude can't even put the ball in play.

D

Deuce

There's got to be a prospect worth looking at who can get some time in CF. This is ridiculous. The dude can't even put the ball in play.
He is to hitting what Joe Saunders is to pitching.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

What in the hell happened to that guy? The low average and high Ks were going to be there with him but he put up really strong power/speed numbers the two previous seasons to last year's disaster. He has completely fallen apart and is showing no signs of pulling out of it. Was always streaky but it has become a big, long wretched streak.

D

Deuce

What in the hell happened to that guy? The low average and high Ks were going to be there with him but he put up really strong power/speed numbers the two previous seasons to last year's disaster. He has completely fallen apart and is showing no signs of pulling out of it. Was always streaky but it has become a big, long wretched streak.
$80M is what happened to that guy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Duda is named the 1B and promptly smacks 2 HRs.

Top Bottom