Cowlishaw: 20 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Anyone else remember the rumor after the 93 season of Jerry tried to redo Jimmys contract giving Jer more personnel input

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Anyone else remember the rumor after the 93 season of Jerry tried to redo Jimmys contract giving Jer more personnel input
You have a better memory than I do if true.

All I knew at the time is we were kicking ass, then Jerry decided to be a dick.

Irving Cowboy

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones: "There's no way that I would be involved here and not be the final decision-maker on something as important as players, and that is a key area. "
Hostile: "You guys care too much about titles. Jerry lets his coaches and scouts make the decisions, he just makes the announcements"

Jimmy Johnson: "I was already planning when I was leaving, the meetings in Orlando just accelerated the date I'd already circled on my calendar to leave"
Mschmidt64: "Jimmy didn't really want to go, it was just that Jerry wasn't giving him what he wanted and that's why he ultimately left".

It's like they're thinking with the same brain.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
/popcorn

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, you maintain that the situation was irreparable? There was no other solution than the one
that occurred?
He loves Florida, okay?!

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones: "There's no way that I would be involved here and not be the final decision-maker on something as important as players, and that is a key area. "
:towel

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So, you maintain that the situation was irreparable? There was no other solution than the one
that occurred?
I believe that. Especially since neither guy involved wanted it repaired. Jerry was done fixing the financial stuff and wanted more team involvement. Jimmy wanted out. And they both got what they wanted.

No, I don't believe more money would have kept him in Dallas and happy. Jimmy knew he could get crazy amounts of money any where he went. So not only did it fit his history of moving on after a few years, he pretty much had a blank check waiting for wherever he would end up.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I believe that. Especially since neither guy involved wanted it repaired. Jerry was done fixing the financial stuff and wanted more team involvement. Jimmy wanted out. And they both got what they wanted.

No, I don't believe more money would have kept him in Dallas and happy. Jimmy knew he could get crazy amounts of money any where he went. So not only did it fit his history of moving on after a few years, he pretty much had a blank check waiting for wherever he would end up.
I hear what yo say, but I feel that Jimmy was all about success. And the level of success Jimmy was riding here was unmatched at the time, and for all outward appearances, would continue for what history bears out to be at least 2 more years. And those 2 subsequent years with a football moron at the helm.

Maybe he could walk away from that, I struggle to see it though. Maybe it's me.

data

Forbes #1
I hear what yo say, but I feel that Jimmy was all about success. And the level of success Jimmy was riding here was unmatched at the time, and for all outward appearances, would continue for what history bears out to be at least 2 more years. And those 2 subsequent years with a football moron at the helm.

Why did he walk away from Miami?

I don't any special reason for him to have stayed in Dallas that didnt exist Miami.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I don't believe long term Jimmy would have stayed. I think he could have been bought to stay for longer, though. He might have said, years later, he had a date circled, but he's saying that under the assumption that Jerry would have continued to butt heads with him, which had already been going on for 2 years, so he was tired of it.

I'm saying if Jerry had bent over backwards and paid him whatever he wanted, gave him whatever control he wanted (and deserved), that could have bought another season or two out of Jimmy before he got so homesick for Florida that he left anyway.

Money talks, and Jerry can be very charming and persuasive to get what he wants. He just didn't want Jimmy anymore.

It's just as much speculation to say that Jimmy wouldn't have stayed for anything, though.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

The level of success he had with the Canes was unmatched at the time too. Jimmy's history was a series of 5 year projects, after which he was ready to move on to the next challenge. Also the fact that he stayed out of coaching until 96 despite what must have been a lot of offers shows how picky he was about what he wanted to do.

Any idea that he could have been kept here long term is the wildest of speculation. Even if he might have stayed one more year or two, does anyone believe he would have been here in 96 or 97 when the team fell out of the championship picture? Pure fantasy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The level of success he had with the Canes was unmatched at the time too. Jimmy's history was a series of 5 year projects, after which he was ready to move on to the next challenge. Also the fact that he stayed out of coaching until 96 despite what must have been a lot of offers shows how picky he was about what he wanted to do.

Any idea that he could have been kept here long term is the wildest of speculation. Even if he might have stayed one more year or two, does anyone believe he would have been here in 96 or 97 when the team fell out of the championship picture? Pure fantasy.
Well, I do struggle to believe we ever would have drafted Kavika Pittman had Jimmy been here. It took time for the roster to decline
in a serious way. Pittman was a great start, though, I must admit. Thanks, Jer!

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why did he walk away from Miami?

I don't any special reason for him to have stayed in Dallas that didnt exist Miami.
I can think of a couple:

1) a team at it's absolute peak, and

2) a roster loaded with talent

Neither of them present in Miami when he took over.

Top Bottom