George: Signs point to Cowboys exercising 5th-year option on Tyron Smith

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sources: Signs point to Cowboys exercising 5th-year option on Tyron Smith; long-term contract talks could be delayed

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
10:38 am on March 25, 2014 |

All signs point to the Dallas Cowboys exercising their fifth-year option on Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith that would extend his rookie contract through 2015 and could push off the club’s plan to sign him to a long-term contract.

The NFL’s 2011 collective bargaining agreement required all first-round draft picks to sign four-year contracts with a fifth-year team option built into the deal. Smith, the No. 9 overall pick in 2011, is coming off of his first Pro Bowl season and just turned 23 in December.

According to the CBA, the Cowboys must give “written notice” to Smith before May 3 if they plan to pick up his fifth-year option.

A Cowboys official said this week that it’s reasonable to expect the club will pick up the fifth-year option for Smith, but there’s no need to do so until the deadline.

A source close to Smith said “it’s a given” that the Cowboys will exercise their option and add the fifth year to Smith’s contract.

If the Cowboys exercise their fifth-year option with Smith, he’ll be fully guaranteed $10.039 million in 2015, which is equal to the transition tag for offensive linemen in the 2014 season. Smith’s base salary in 2014 is $2.079 million.

So what does this all mean? The Cowboys plan to sign Smith to a long-term contract and could begin talks on a long-term deal at any point.

However, the Cowboys don’t have to get in a hurry to give Smith a long-term contract now with their built-in team option in place to extend his deal through 2015. The Cowboys could decide to wait until next off-season to sign Smith to a long-term contract.

The NFL salary cap is expected to continue to rise in 2015 and that will give the Cowboys even more cap space to work with in extending Smith’s contract.

However, the longer the club waits to extend Smith might benefit him more than the Cowboys. Smith is clearly on the rise and if the Cowboys sign him now the market price could come in at somewhere between $10-$12 million a year. If Smith waits another year or two to sign a contract extension, his market value could jump to the $14-$15 million a year range considering other top, young left tackles such as Washington’s Trent Williams and Seattle’s Russell Okung will likely sign contract extensions before the 2015 season (the last year of their current deals).

Regardless, Smith is set to cash-in big-time. And, considering he won’t be 30 until December of 2020, Smith will likely receive big bucks twice in free agency before his career is finished.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah.... better to do it sooner rather than later with Smith.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially with how young he still is. If you lock him in long term now his contract will expire at almost the perfect age. I see no reason to wait with him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hell no.

He's just some tackle.

Now Dez Bryant? He's exciting and far more entertaining.

Sells more jerseys. Probably be better in a Papa John's commercial.

D

Deuce

With our luck, Jerry will wait til after the option pickup expiration date before deciding.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tyron has a 5th year option that Dez doesn't have, I'd imagine that's the only reason we're starting with Dez earlier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, my point was that we have to re-sign Dez before the 2015 league season begins or franchise him, whereas with Tyron we don't.
That's true and it's actually nice in a way because teams obviously don't have two franchise tags. So if they aren't both free agents in the same year it is very beneficial to the Cowboys in my opinion. Of course I would rather get both guys on long term deals and cutting Ware was a big step in that direction in my opinion. We had to dump Ware's money off the books in order to really afford these two guys who are young and among the best at their positions.

hstour

Brand New Member
It might be better to pick up the option on Smith. There are going to be a number of other UFAs next year that are going to have to have decisions made about them. Carr was purposely not restructured so that they could cut him next year if need be. That combined with the expected increase in the cap over the next two years might make it easier to do Smith before 2016/2017.

You can see who's up when here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/yearly/

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It might be better to pick up the option on Smith. There are going to be a number of other UFAs next year that are going to have to have decisions made about them. Carr was purposely not restructured so that they could cut him next year if need be. That combined with the expected increase in the cap over the next two years might make it easier to do Smith before 2016/2017.

You can see who's up when here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/yearly/
I'm not following the logic.

A long term extension with Smith probably brings down his cap number in the short term, as opposed to the option year which is apparently 10 million.

A long term extension probably helps sign those FAs as opposed to hurting. And on top of that, the quicker it happens, the cheaper overall. I don't want someone else setting an astronomical market.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

A long term extension with Smith probably brings down his cap number in the short term, as opposed to the option year which is apparently 10 million.

A long term extension probably helps sign those FAs as opposed to hurting. And on top of that, the quicker it happens, the cheaper overall. I don't want someone else setting an astronomical market.
I definitely agree.

Plus looking at the list of guys who will be free agents next year I'm not seeing a lot of guys that must be resigned. Many of them are role players. Doug Free, DeMarco Murray and George Selvie are really the only ones that I see as starters this upcoming year. Murray I don't want to sink significant money to in anyway. Hell look at free agency, most of the RBs are still available. Free it will probably be time to move on from. Selvie is a starter who should be your cheap starter. If he wants more money then that then you move on and draft another DE.

Next offseason I'd just focus on long term deals for Bryant and Smith. The rest of the guys can come back cheap or not at all in my opinion.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
10 mill for an option year???? Me thinks you have it confused with franchis tag...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Well I'll be...

"If selected in the first 10 picks the option year will be equal to the calculated Transition tag for each position..."

That option year really is a plus for the players...

hstour

Brand New Member

The additional revenue (and the rise in the salary cap) will help you absorb the $10M. You push out next deal for him to the 2016 season when he will be 25. Then you sign him to a 5 year deal and let him go UFA after the end of it when he is 30. Someone is still going to pay him big bucks at that time, but it isn't you. Under your scenario, you sign him for 5 years now and he is 28 when it is done, it's a harder decision at to whether you sign him to that 2nd deal, which tends to be the big money deal that the player declines over the back end of it.

I am trying to take the more long term view of it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The additional revenue (and the rise in the salary cap) will help you absorb the $10M. You push out next deal for him to the 2016 season when he will be 25. Then you sign him to a 5 year deal and let him go UFA after the end of it when he is 30. Someone is still going to pay him big bucks at that time, but it isn't you. Under your scenario, you sign him for 5 years now and he is 28 when it is done, it's a harder decision at to whether you sign him to that 2nd deal, which tends to be the big money deal that the player declines over the back end of it.

I am trying to take the more long term view of it.
So, sign him for seven years now.

Top Bottom