2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

National Signing Day is tomorrow and there hasn't been a peep around here about it. For shame.

I, for one, am geeked for it. I never have high expectations for new coaches coming in cause they are at such a disadvantage with only two months to make an impact. But I'm beyond impressed with what Frost is doing. He's got commitments from his #1 targeted QB and RB, has us in play for a UA All American WR tomorrow and grabbed a nice pair of local playmakers to give some explosiveness. Very exciting compared to where this class was headed under the previous regime.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
National Signing Day is tomorrow and there hasn't been a peep around here about it. For shame.
I was waiting for it to happen.

My VOLS only have about 20-22 scholly's to offer this year but are now ranked 15th in recruiting after two straight years in the top 5. But those were years they had 30+ signings. Of note, Tennessee got one of the nation's top CB's, Tyler Byrd, to commit tonight after being committed to Miami for over a year. They have 3-4 more spots open and are in on several top recruits who are yet to commit. Tomorrow could vault them into the top 10 or at least they stay in the top 15 with a class of quality, not quantity.

Future is bright, but I'm still not sold on Butch Jones' coaching. But he's a heck of a recruiter.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sumlin's buyout is $20 million, and it is due in full withing 60 days of his firing, so it can't be paid out of cash flow over a period of years and there isn't any mitigation if he were to be employed by another school. $20 million, plus the buyout of the next coach, plus buyouts for the assistant coaches when the new coach wants to bring in his own staff (that is the buyout of the existing aggy assistants and the assistants the new coach wants on his staff). On top of that, the new coach is going to want a multi year contract with guarantees and we all know the ags are idiots when it comes to offering contracts to football coaches.

They borrowed $350 million to finance their new stadium, they had somewhere around $50 million in existing facilities debt prior to the stadium project, they owe $20 million to the academic side for the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2012 bailouts when aggy athletics couldn't pay its bills. There is also additional debt for various other projects. And to service all that debt, they are only pulling in $110 million in revenue (2014-2015 academic year gross athletics revenue). Debt service for the aggy program is somewhere north of 22%. For programs such as Ohio State or Texas, that number is around 8%.

The ags don't have the money to fire Sumlin unless someone is willing to step up and write a check for close to $30 million. And this comes at a time when they have hit up donors hard to help fund the new stadium, the Bright upgrades and when the school is trying to manage a $4 billion capital campaign.

The total operating budget for the TAMU System is just over $3.6 billion. For the UT system, that number if north of $17 billion. With the opening of the med school on the UT Austin campus, the operating budget for UT Austin will be greater than that for the entire TAMU system. The non-PUF endowments for the UT Austin campus are more than all the combined endowments of the TAMU System (including their imputed 1/3 of the PUF). By Regents Rule 80303, the PUF revenues dedicated to UT Austin equal the PUF derived revenues for the entire TAMU System.

The dumb$#@! aggys have measured themselves against the burnt orange yardstick for as long as any of us can remember and they have convinced themselves they are the equal of UT Austin in every way. The problem for them is that they aren't. No one other than the aggys and idiots who believe the $#@! the aggys claim as their school's "history" see them as the equal of UT Austin. The state funds UT Austin at 1.5X the level they fund TAMU College Station. The federal funding (per student) of UT Austin is four times that of TAMU College Station. No one in a position of responsibility anywhere in the nation sees TAMU as being one and the same as UT Austin.

The ags have spent every dime they can get their hands on and borrowed to the hilt to help their sports program try to keep up with UT Austin (the Kyle Field bonds are guaranteed by TAMU System revenues, not just TAMU College Station revenues). They are stretched to the limit on the academic side but especially on the athletic side. Five of the last ten years aggy athletics has failed to generate sufficient revenues to pay their bills and now they are approaching a half billion in athletics debt they think they can blow another $30 million on a football coach!?

I have been saying for the past few years that aggy is a financial train wreck happening in slow motion. Their having to just shut up and endure Kevin Sumlin is only the first obvious sign of their paying the price for aggying up their finances in trying to do something impossible for them to do, which is to keep up with UT Austin and the UT System. Their only option is to get a big money alumnus to write a $30 million check out of their pocket and that ain't likely with oil at $37. Suck it, aggy.

lulz
They can declare sovereign immunity like TTU did with Leach and not pay a dime.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I, for one, am geeked for it. I never have high expectations for new coaches coming in cause they are at such a disadvantage with only two months to make an impact. But I'm beyond impressed with what Frost is doing. He's got commitments from his #1 targeted QB and RB, has us in play for a UA All American WR tomorrow and grabbed a nice pair of local playmakers to give some explosiveness. Very exciting compared to where this class was headed under the previous regime.
I love signing day.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think you missed the point. I'm well aware of sovereign immunity. It was used unjustly against me in a lawsuit.
Without getting into whether it was used justly or not on Leach, if it could be used on him it could be used on Sumlin. The thing about that legal doctrine is it makes absolutely no difference legally if it's used justly or not. The precedent is there in this state. IMO, it might very well be a reason Patterson and Briles prefer to stay with colleges that can't use it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without getting into whether it was used justly or not on Leach, if it could be used on him it could be used on Sumlin. The thing about that legal doctrine is it makes absolutely no difference legally if it's used justly or not. The precedent is there in this state. IMO, it might very well be a reason Patterson and Briles prefer to stay with colleges that can't use it.
Or just find a Federal law and sue in Federal Court.

dallen

Senior Tech
Me hitting F5 all day looking for new commits.

Do you have a Rivals account? I installed their app on my phone and get a notification every time someone signs.

D

Deuce

Do you have a Rivals account? I installed their app on my phone and get a notification every time someone signs.
Ya I get those but reading the reactions on twitter is half the fun.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Colleges raise over $1 billion in athletic donations in 2015, Texas A&M leads the way

By Brandon Wheeland , Special Contributor Contact Brandon Wheelandon Twitter:mad:BrandonWheeland
According to a report released Wednesday by the Council for Aid to Education, donations to athletic departments at universities across the country crossed the one billion dollar mark for the fourth time in the past five years. Leading the way in donations? Texas A&M.

Though totals slightly dipped compared to the 2014 totals, athletic donations were still plentiful, and none were giving more than Aggies. A&M tallied $66.99 million in donations, compiling over $13 million more than Oregon at $53.70 million and Michigan ($51.72 million) ,which rounded out the three highest totals.

In all, $1.2 billion was donated during 2015.

Donors have been in a giving spirit for the past few years in regards to A&M. According to an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education, donors "have contributed more than $350 million in cash and pledges toward the renovation of the university's football stadium and other athletics projects" since 2013.

The influx of athletic donations, despite the fluctuating stock market and drop in oil prices, could be attributed in part to the recent face lift to College Station's crown jewel known as Kyle Field. With success across the board in athletics recently coupled with the highly-publicized $485 million stadium renovation, donors seem more apt to break open the checkbook and send money over to the university.

Nearly 400 colleges provided information in what is known as the "Voluntary Support of Education" survey.
Though not listed in the Council for Aid to Education's survey, The Chronicle reports Clemson University raised $60.1 million, which would bump the Tigers ahead of the Ducks but still leave them trailing the Aggies.
Rounding out the top five in donations are the Texas Longhorns with $42.23 million, followed by the TCU Horned Frogs at $38.32 million.

D

Deuce

Longhorns absolutely killing it today. They loaded up on high end DL early and now just pulled a 5* LB and Safety.

Jiggyfly

Banned
A&M lost out on a Safety to UT and they still have not upgraded the LB core.

Chavis is not the draw I thought he would be yet.

To be fair it does seem we have a couple of nice DB prospects.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Longhorns absolutely killing it today. They loaded up on high end DL early and now just pulled a 5* LB and Safety.
Yes. My brother is plastering Facebook with all of this longhorn crap. Will just be even better when they fail.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah that's the type of guy I thought Chavis would be pulling in this year.

He did get another nice DE prospect though.

D

Deuce

It wouldn't be NSD if the rivals site didn't crash.

A tradition unlike any other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom