Must See Movies

D

Deuce

My guess is that Luke had a big crisis of faith after Kylo\Ben went to the dark side and decided training Jedi was too dangerous. Rey was probably a padawan at the time and Luke decided to wipe her mind using the Force and put her on an out of the way planet for her safety and to keep her from following Kylo's path. He implanted a desire to stay on Jakku and avoid any kind of Force-related things like lightsabers. He also left Max von Sydow's character on Jakku to watch over her and given him the map in case she started to go to the Dark Side so he could contact Luke. I think when Kylo was trying to Force read her mind he inadvertently unlocked the memories Luke had hidden away because he was trying to find out where Luke was. She already knew, but not because she had seen the map - because she had been there as a child. That's all a total guess, but I think it makes sense and would be a better story than coincidentally having a Jedi savant on the same planet as the map to Luke.

edit - I'm also not convinced Kylo Ren will be the character Rey fights at the height of her power. I think Kylo\Ben will turn back at the end of the next one and then he and Rey will team up to defeat Snoke in the third movie. They are already planting the idea that he isn't as committed to this as Vader was.
Good theories, but I don't think it ends up this way.

If she was a former Padawan, I think Ren would have recognized her and treated her much differently when he had her in the interrogation room.

As far as him turning back to good, it's possible since Vader once did but I think his killing Han put to rest his commitment to the Sith.

dallen

Senior Tech
Good theories, but I don't think it ends up this way.

If she was a former Padawan, I think Ren would have recognized her and treated her much differently when he had her in the interrogation room.

As far as him turning back to good, it's possible since Vader once did but I think his killing Han put to rest his commitment to the Sith.
Actually, that was cut out last minute. In the novelization when they are having their lightsaber duel Ren does recognize Rey.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We Need to Talk About Kevin is streaming on Netflix now...worth a watch for sure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I have seen this talked about here, but if not, The Man in the High Castle is absolutely worth a watch and I'm only two episodes in. It's an Amazon series.

D

Deuce

I think I have seen this talked about here, but if not, The Man in the High Castle is absolutely worth a watch and I'm only two episodes in. It's an Amazon series.
It'd be cool if you recommended it in the TV show thread.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If the original trilogy movies were A/A-'s, then I give the new one a B-.

Much better than the prequels which were F-'s.

D

Deuce

The Revenant was solid, but not great like I was hoping for.

The bear scene was pretty awesome, though.

dallen

Senior Tech
The Revenant was solid, but not great like I was hoping for.

The bear scene was pretty awesome, though.
I heard that it is pretty but the story is kind of meh

Carp

DCC 4Life
Star Wars...

Han Solo's death is the biggest character death of the movies I grew up on. As the years went on Han Solo only seemed to get cooler. The thing I was kind of worried about was would this new generation of Star Wars fans fully understand how big his death was. I went and saw it a second time with my daughter and she was speechless and shaken by his death.

I mean shit...Han is run through with a light saber...and he still touched his sons face on his way out.

It was right there with him telling Leia, "I know".

If they kill Indiana Jones I will totally lose my shit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was only going to watch it because I heard Dicaprio got raped by a bear.

dallen

Senior Tech
That little girl has a very large, very hairy leg

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
edit - I'm also not convinced Kylo Ren will be the character Rey fights at the height of her power. I think Kylo\Ben will turn back at the end of the next one and then he and Rey will team up to defeat Snoke in the third movie. They are already planting the idea that he isn't as committed to this as Vader was.
You might be right, but I actually think the opposite. I think the hint when he killed Han was him asking for help, but actually meaning help to extinguish the light rather than turning to the light. I think that struggle he had earlier is over now that he killed his father. It's hard to ignore the "sun dying / son dying simultaneously" metaphor.

I also think with the wounds he sustained in the end fights we're going to see him become more and more machine.

I think they are setting Kylo Ren up to be a huge evil badass in the next one.

Top Bottom