Which coach would you hire if you could fire Jason Garrett?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Again, probably a pointless exercise since Jerry really doesn't want a HC with the chops to actually be a good coach. I suspect Garrett is back next year anyway.

Having said that, a few names I'd consider:
Mark Dantonio
Brian Kelly
Hue Jackson
Gus Malzahn
Dantonio would be awesome, but he won't leave East Lansing.

shane

DCC 4Life
Perhaps if Dantonio or Stoops wins the big one in college football this year, they wouldn't be bad to promote. Dantonio has been nothing short of a miracle worker at MSU, and Stoops seems like a guy who would want to try his hand in the pros.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Perhaps if Dantonio or Stoops wins the big one in college football this year, they wouldn't be bad to promote. Dantonio has been nothing short of a miracle worker at MSU, and Stoops seems like a guy who would want to try his hand in the pros.
I would gladly pull for OU to win a national championship if it would mean Garrett gets the boot. I would even bury the hatchet and advocate that he brings his QB and I hate both of them. I think I've openly been on the fire Garrett bandwagon than most and just wished I could be the one to tell him that he was fired. Anything it takes.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I would gladly pull for OU to win a national championship if it would mean Garrett gets the boot. I would even bury the hatchet and advocate that he brings his QB and I hate both of them. I think I've openly been on the fire Garrett bandwagon than most and just wished I could be the one to tell him that he was fired. Anything it takes.
I could live with Stoops but I'd much prefer Dantonio. I really don't want a bunch of Stoops family members picking up jobs on the staff.

junk

Not So New Member
Dantonio would be awesome, but he won't leave East Lansing.
Listen, once Jerry gets him on the jet, tells him the story of having that credit card cut up, maybe a man in the mirror speech, salesman grin and a wink.....its a done deal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Stoops?

Really?

What does he bring as a head coach, he is very coordinator dependent and is as much of a politician as Garrett.

He has had all of the talent in the world and has come up small in the big game more times than not, can somebody explain why Stoops should be considered a top NFL coaching candidate?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think it matters because I don't think Stoops would ever take this job. Way too time-consuming and way too much pressure for a guy whose dad died on the sidelines at a young age. And he acts like he detests all media appearances even at a place like OU where he can control almost everything.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Saban had a stint in the pros and as I recall it wasn't real memorable.
Saban picked the wrong QB in free agency because the medical experts he had said Drew Brees' shoulder was done. I don't think he got over that misstep. Also, Pete Carroll's first pro stint wasn't memorable.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You just hate him because he used to be in Philly.

On the contrary, Philly fans would have a coronary if he went to Dallas and succeeded.

I wanted Reid here too.

I have my doubts about McDermott though. I haven't seen him succeed when left to his own devices.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

Coming from Jim Johnson's coaching tree is pretty solid. He got run out of Philly after being the guy that followed the guy so fat Andy could replace him with an offensive coach.

He's been doing it long enough that he deserves some credit for the last few years' defensive performance.
I guess, but I seem to remember several eagles players at the time subtly pointing the finger in his direction when things went south. Rivera was a great DC so I tend to give him a lot of the credit for Carolina's defensive success.

Rivera is also a leader; McDermott doesn't strike me as one.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I guess, but I seem to remember several eagles players at the time subtly pointing the finger in his direction when things went south. Rivera was a great DC so I tend to give him a lot of the credit for Carolina's defensive success.

Rivera is also a leader; McDermott doesn't strike me as one.
Yeah his defense is also nothing like Johnson's there is not much blitzing at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah his defense is also nothing like Johnson's there is not much blitzing at all.
It is nothing like what Rivera ran at his previous stops either. So you can't say he's along for the ride.

Carolina has a good bit of zone blitzing. It is just not as extensive as what Johnson ran, but it is there. He is a little more creative and selective.

Genghis Khan

I prefer, for the record, an established guy. So a Holmgren/Gruden/Payton type.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I prefer, for the record, an established guy. So a Holmgren/Gruden/Payton type.
Holmgren is too far detached. And you forget, he was the guy who pulled the trigger on drafting Weeden in the first fucking round.

Yeah, that kinda takes him off my fucking list.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Holmgren is too far detached. And you forget, he was the guy who pulled the trigger on drafting Weeden in the first fucking round.

Yeah, that kinda takes him off my fucking list.
I don't give a shit. He has been more than solid his entire career. Just because he was VP of football operations when Weeden was drafted means nothing to me as far as his ability as a coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't give a shit. He has been more than solid his entire career. Just because he was VP of football operations when Weeden was drafted means nothing to me as far as his ability as a coach.
It means a lot to me if we are in the same position the Browns were when he took over. They needed a QB. He reached for that dork. Screw the Walrus.

Top Bottom